Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 170 2012.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just become a very proud owner of a 2012 Elegance Diesel 4X4 170 with 7 Skoda stamps, and a new cam belt and water pump done at the last service 36k miles.
I've done a couple of minor jobs (front O/S fog light bulb replaced, gear knob plaquette faded so renewed)
My problem is no reversing lights.
I have checked both bulbs and they are ok, is there a fuse for the reversing lights? or could it be a switch (which I suspect) If it is the switch could anyone advise me where to find it, and is it a DIYers job?
Any suggestions welcomed.
Many thanks
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi welcome to the forum, didn't it come with a warranty or was it a private sale?
Hi . I bought it from a very good elderly friend of mine, I have only had the car for a couple of weeks, not driven at night much, so only just realized the reversing lights were not working.
Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are the parking sensors activated and displayed on the infotainment screen when reverse is selected? If not then it's probably the reverse switch.

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the parking sensors activated and displayed on the infotainment screen when reverse is selected? If not then it's probably the reverse switch.

Keith
Hi Keith,
Yes, sensors activated and displayed on the screen when reverse is selected. Still no reverse light.
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
278 Posts
That would tend to rule out the reverse switch. I can't find any mention of the reversing lights in the fuse table in the manual so the lights must be connected to one of the other circuits.

Are all the other lights in the rear light clusters working correctly? A faulty earth can cause an individual light to work but when the brakes are applied or the indicators turned on it can cause lights, such as the tail lights, to go off.

As both reversing lights are affected it could be a fault in the wiring loom. It's not unknown for one of the connectors to have a dodgy pin.

If you have a multimeter remove the reverse light bulbs and measure the voltage on the centre contact with respect to the outer contact and then with respect to a good chassis connection on both tail light units with the ignition on and reverse selected. If power is getting to the reverse lights there should be around 12v on the centre contact. If there is no voltage it's likely there is a fault in the wiring loom. If there's 12v present when measured with respect to the chassis the and no voltage when measured with resect to the bulb holder outer contact the earth connection to the bulb holder is suspect.

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would tend to rule out the reverse switch. I can't find any mention of the reversing lights in the fuse table in the manual so the lights must be connected to one of the other circuits.

Are all the other lights in the rear light clusters working correctly? A faulty earth can cause an individual light to work but when the brakes are applied or the indicators turned on it can cause lights, such as the tail lights, to go off.

As both reversing lights are affected it could be a fault in the wiring loom. It's not unknown for one of the connectors to have a dodgy pin.

If you have a multimeter remove the reverse light bulbs and measure the voltage on the centre contact with respect to the outer contact and then with respect to a good chassis connection on both tail light units with the ignition on and reverse selected. If power is getting to the reverse lights there should be around 12v on the centre contact. If there is no voltage it's likely there is a fault in the wiring loom. If there's 12v present when measured with respect to the chassis the and no voltage when measured with resect to the bulb holder outer contact the earth connection to the bulb holder is suspect.

Keith
Thanks for that information Keith.
I have checked all the other lights and everything seems fine.
I shall do all the other tests you mention over the weekend.
I have also just remembered that the main dealer did do a loom repair due to rodent damage only a few months ago. I hope that repair is still under warranty.
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you do need to find the reverse switch on the gearbox...
I haven't looked myself, and youtube videos or other forum threads don't often say which gearbox their content refers to. But the switch seems to be on the top side of most VAG boxes.

Remove the air box and the top of the gearbox is revealed. Not many wires go into a manual box (I assume the OP has a manual box as I believe DSG wasn't available on a 170 until 2013), so identifying the reverse switch shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you do need to find the reverse switch on the gearbox...
I haven't looked myself, and youtube videos or other forum threads don't often say which gearbox their content refers to. But the switch seems to be on the top side of most VAG boxes.

Remove the air box and the top of the gearbox is revealed. Not many wires go into a manual box (I assume the OP has a manual box as I believe DSG wasn't available on a 170 until 2013), so identifying the reverse switch shouldn't be too difficult.
Yes its a 6 speed manual gearbox.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes its a 6 speed manual gearbox.
Thanks
The Yeti has been into the garage for a clutch pedal problem, while they were at it I asked them to look at the reverse light, a new reverse light switch has been fitted and fixed that problem!
The garage changed the master cylinder but the clutch pedal problem still remains, they have had the Yeti back to re-bleed the system, i fear the worse and reckon it may be a slave cylinder. ....Any thoughts?
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts