Yeti Owners Club banner

road noise

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  diermot 
#1 ·
I have a yeti urban with 2500 miles on the clock, seems to be a lot of road noise from the rear. The faster i go the louder it gets, any idea,s please . thanks . ni

#2 ·
I am very conscious of interior noise of any kind. To be fair I'm very pleased overall with the noise level in my 140 dsg.

I removed the spar wheel and covered the floor in sound deadening pads. I also layered some noise killer mat on top and then refitted the wheel and floor. I do notice a bit of front tyre roar but the rear seems good.

I also removed the sound insulation from the underside of the bonnet, stuck of some pads and then sound felt and then replaced the factory insulation

I think it sounds OK but I will always try to quieten any car.

#3 ·
And I thought I was a sound freak. . .
I could hear front tyre, but just while turning on very sharp corner. I don't hear that anymore. I hear tyres now, but different sound - now I have winter tyres and winter tyres always make some noise.
I hear brakes. At first I thought it takes time since they were new (unless they put old parts in a brand new car, ha, ha.).
Now I think that yeti makes some noise since some parts (like e.g. suspensors) are typical german - very good quality, but maybe more rigid and noisy than other cars.
But, replacing factory insulation...You're really creative! I would never come up with this idea - I admire you.
Jazz.
Edited by: Jazz Moli

#7 ·
Mine's in on Thursday for (what the Tech has diagnosed as) it's second replacement NS Front Wheel Bearing in 2 years (although it has done 50K miles in that time).

It's not as noisy as the first one that went leading me to believe it might be tyres, balancing etc. I had those checked but the tyres are wearing evenly and the balancing was OK too. The symptoms are vibration and noise from 40mph upwards (all gears, engine sounding fine).

At least I have a friendly dealer and the Tech has heard the problem. All he needs to do now is fix it!

I'll let you know how I get on...

Nigel

#9 ·
Well it was the OSF bearing this time and all is now well with the Yeti once more.
The dealer (Vindis in Cambridge) did a really thorough job. Had the car in overnight and made sure the senior tech (who diagnosed the noise)had plenty of opportunity to road test it before handing it back.

#12 ·
If wheel bearings fail after a few thousand miles the bearings must be poor quality or the load on the bearing unit has been over torqued when the wheel hub with disc brake unit was fitted on the 'line' assembly at the factory.

This means the rollers in the inner bearing housing are being crushed and will run tight and wear very quick the torque pressure has to be correct or this can happen very quickly.

Or the bearings are not up to the job of supporting the weight of the vehicle I doubt this is the case with Skoda.
My 3.5 ton ton van has a ball joint problem it goes through them pdq they are not robust enough for the weight of the vehicle its something you have to live with or change the vehicle, lets be honest all vehicles have their own odd things that always happen to everyone who owns the same make.

Regarding buying bearings always buy the best you can afford from a good motor outlet buy a well known make not some cheap ones.

#13 ·
Teni said:
I have a noise from the front wheel, i think is the wheel beering, any one knows where to buy on line or how much it costs ???
You need to pin down where the noise is coming from it can be an expensive and time consuming mistake if you replace a perfectly good bearing, I know I did that many moons ago.

If the car is not under warranty I'd check with some local motor factors to get a quality bearing if doing it yourself, I cannot help with any in Albania.

#15 ·
I had a wheel bearing replaced once by someone who did not know what he was doing, the result of which was that he tightened the bearing too much - consequence-
premature failure of same bearing.
Maybe this is a job for a Skoda garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.