Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
5,262 Posts
I can share your frustration with this problem as it should just work. There is nothing wrong with the downloaded maps as everyone else has all the display the village names as expected and the fact that your head unit works with the 2018 map implies that it is working fine.

I wonder if the dealer ever tried your SD card in another Amundsen II or as suggested took a known working card and tried it in yours? A software update for the head unit is another thing they should have tried. The update process writes a whole new set of files to the SD so any corruption of the card should be corrected by a new download. Can you get hold of the 2018 maps again to reload them or is that just something you had before this problem was noticed so you are stuck with the latest version that doesn't display the village names?

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I'm getting more and more sure that the problem has arisen because the download to up-date the card was done incorrectly. The instructions have always been to copy the old information onto the computer BEFORE downloading the new maps. It appears that for whatever reason the OP couldn't do this at home so got a dealer to attempt it, and that has been partially successful, as the details stated earlier confirm. I know that when I did mine I copied a file to my computer for each time an update was done. (now deleted having got rid of the car)

To me the answer is to try the do the job properly again, in the way that has been well explained by many here. Perhaps the OP will explain why he can't do that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can share your frustration with this problem as it should just work. There is nothing wrong with the downloaded maps as everyone else has all the display the village names as expected and the fact that your head unit works with the 2018 map implies that it is working fine.

I wonder if the dealer ever tried your SD card in another Amundsen II or as suggested took a known working card and tried it in yours? A software update for the head unit is another thing they should have tried. The update process writes a whole new set of files to the SD so any corruption of the card should be corrected by a new download. Can you get hold of the 2018 maps again to reload them or is that just something you had before this problem was noticed so you are stuck with the latest version that doesn't display the village names?
Initially Skoda Technical asked that we tried a card from a doner car the only one available was a 2017 car and that worked ok but wasn’t using latest update version.
Skoda instigated a complete vehicle diagonist ckeck including the the antenna and a software check on the head that was done around May last year,no faults were found at all.
It was following this that the dealers decided to down load up dates on my sd card,starting with a 2018 up date and then 2019.They found that updates following 2018 lost the village names so the only solution was to use the 2016 version that came with the car and update to 2018 which worked but obviously wasn’t using the most up to date version.
I still have that card and currently is back in the car ,that way to an extent I have a useable sat nav.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I still think the you need to reload the card in the way described in the Yetipedia. Many of us here have done exactly that with no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Lurched said earlier that the dealer was Marshall’s. Where’s Ruari?

·
Registered
717 Posts
That is two of you who have mentioned the ‘M’ word in this thread. 😈😈

Why hasn’t the word mistress blocked it yet?

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Thinking about this again.

I very much doubt that any dealer will have much experience of updating the SD card mapping, and certainly not with the workshop computer system as that will be in use most of the time reading the ECU's of cars. Therefore it would likely be given to someone in an office who, again, won't have that much experience or time to do it. So doing it wrong and not transferring all the files looks a distinct possibility.

And then we find out which dealer is involved...............................................................!!!

Reactions: Trilux

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thinking about this again.

I very much doubt that any dealer will have much experience of updating the SD card mapping, and certainly not with the workshop computer system as that will be in use most of the time reading the ECU's of cars. Therefore it would likely be given to someone in an office who, again, won't have that much experience or time to do it. So doing it wrong and not transferring all the files looks a distinct possibility.

And then we find out which dealer is involved...............................................................!!!
Thanks for coming back on the matter,Marshall’s the dealership do any updates at the service desk or in the after sales managers office there internet speed is very slow also I noticed when putting back my 2018 card that works into the head unit it wasn’t locked they should have done when they updated tha some time go?Does make one think do they know what they are doing
I’ve locked it now and still works.
Latest is as I only have an I pad and a smart phone I have asked an IT literate person to see if he can successfully down load the 20/21 maps onto the new card the dealership tried to up date,
Watch this space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Llanigraham havnt spent any time on this today as gave me flaming headache yesterday phoning dealership and Skoda etc trying to sort things out.Must say your help and from others on here is greatly appreciated.
If this friend of mine down loads the updates can he see what’s on there from his pc or is this only viewable by putting the card back in head unit.
I live some distance from him and would be nice to know if his been successful rather than going to collect from him then having to repeat the journey again if no success

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Have you read through the instructions on how to do this properly? I seem to remember that the last one I did took quite a long time to download, which is why I am sure the dealer isn't doing it properly.

And can you please add your location to your details and perhaps your car details to your signature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Have you read through the instructions on how to do this properly? I seem to remember that the last one I did took quite a long time to download, which is why I am sure the dealer isn't doing it properly.

And can you please add your location to your details and perhaps your car details to your signature.
Yes read them through but can’t do it from home as got rid of lap top ,I have an I pad and smart phone only ,partly the reason I used the dealer in the first place

·
Administrator
5,262 Posts
If your friend downloads the most recent map data the file will be in a zipped (i.e compressed) format but if he "unzips" the file there should be two folders and a number of subfolders in those folders. These are the same as on the SD card so he should be able to compare the file names to see any differences, though file sizes are going to be obviously different.

Before updating the SD card it is good practice as Llanigraham suggests to copy all the files from the SD card onto the computer hard disk then in case of problems they can easily be copied back to put you where you were.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lurched said earlier that the dealer was Marshall’s. Where’s Ruari?
Well, its typical of a crap dealer run by cretins who threw customer service out with the bath water. Some unintelligibly spoken woman phoned me from Marshalls Kidlington, stirring me out of my afternoon slumber, on Friday, and luckily before my ire was raised too high, I reminded her that I refuse to take calls from them and to read my notes. But they'll phone again next year to remind me I should have an MOT and service. They can whistle!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::devilish::devilish::devilish:

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
They phone, email and text me, I have not bothered to stop them as it costs them money to be ignored by me. It also gives me the chance to question them and tell them they often don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, its typical of a crap dealer run by cretins who threw customer service out with the bath water. Some unintelligibly spoken woman phoned me from Marshalls Kidlington, stirring me out of my afternoon slumber, on Friday, and luckily before my ire was raised too high, I reminded her that I refuse to take calls from them and to read my notes. But they'll phone again next year to remind me I should have an MOT and service. They can whistle!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::devilish::devilish::devilish:
The actual service guys ie servicing,mot are brilliant and very accommodating,the guy dealing with problem I detect is so peed off with a lack of understanding/ help from Skoda themselves
So really none of this actually reflects on the dealership itself ,it’s above them where the problem is.
They phone, email and text me, I have not bothered to stop them as it costs them money to be ignored by me. It also gives me the chance to question them and tell them they often don't know what they are talking about.
[/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I thankfully don’t get any of that.
Only messages I get was yesterday via the dash screen .....inspection in19 days?..
When the car had full service ,cam belt water pump etc approx 800 miles ago
Now got to back there on Tuesday to have a reset,second time, this occurred after services.
Only plus side I get to get out of the house for a drive,covid restrictionsand all that

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
717 Posts

The kraken awakes! 👹

21 - 40 of 44 Posts