Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Skoda website now displays ‘manuals‘ on how to update maps on Amundsen and Bolero systems.

This is slightly different to the way we have been doing it in the past. I was chatting to a dealership rep about the lack of a working TMC on my system. He was suggesting that a map update may include a system software (firmware?) update that may sort the TMC issue. As I updated my maps a few months ago on the old system, I have not tried this yet. Will report back.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
As the present maps are CW 25 2020 I am hoping the 6 monthly update will be available soon.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I was chatting to a dealership rep about the lack of a working TMC on my system. He was suggesting that a map update may include a system software (firmware?) update that may sort the TMC issue.
I doubt that will fix it, there was a problem with all Amundsen II failing to display TMC post October 2014, just having a red line through the symbol. It is a fault with the coding in the car when built and can be corrected by any Skoda workshop that knows what they are doing. I do believe my dealer Horton's of Lincoln were the first to sort out the fix and provided it to Skoda for other service departments.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did quote your previous posts on this to the rep. He seemed unaware that there had been a fix. What is unusual in my case is that my car was built in Sep 2015. If my memory serves me right, I think you mentioned previously that this problem affected late 2014 to early 2015 models. I have always had the ‘red bar’ displayed and much playing with VCDS hasn’t cured it. Like you, I’m inclined to think his suggestion is unlikely to work but I suppose it may be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
He seemed unaware that there had been a fix.
I suspect that is something they will have to search for, I doubt if it was rolled out to all dealerships.
Mine is an early 2015 model.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Traffic Message Channel. This is the information the satnav picks over the radio about traffic delays etc and which it uses to reroute you. This is sent digitally and is separate from the voice TP traffic announcement. The information is sent over Classic FM and other radio channels and you don’t have to have the radio on or be tuned to a particular channel to receive it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah, thanks for that Trilux. I am familiar with sat nav but not in road variants. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
In case anybody is interested, this is my Amundsen II TMC display
Top one shows list of problems, if more than 1 like the top one a touch on it displays all different problems on that road. Another touch brings up the problem area and what side of the road it is together with the radio station broadcasting it. To search from the top list its easy to just swipe through them. Radio was only on for a couple of minutes, if left on for longer it would pick up a lot more.

Reactions: SnowGood

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my car in to Sinclairs Skoda, Swansea a couple of weeks ago to reset the software on the central electrics module (more of that on my Xenon headlights thread) but also to do do software fix on the TMC.

I gave them a printed sheet with all the details Urrell mentioned. It was met with a blank look and after a couple of days I was told that they had checked with Skoda and no-one had heard of it. The parting shot was: “ Someone else reported the same problem but when they crossed the Severn Bridge into England, it sprang into life”

Urrell, I believe you and whenever I have crossed the Severn Bridge it has certainly not sprung into life for me. Guess I will just have to live with (or without) it. :confused:

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
Is this the Sinclair Skoda that Graham used to use when he had a Yeti?

If it is, it sounds like they have got some new staff since he last used them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, same place. My current and previous experiences have been somewhat different to Graham’s. I have to say the guy in Service Reception is extremely friendly and helpful as are most of their staff but it does seem to be a veneer on a less well organised structure.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,799 Posts
My understanding is that the dealer systems (across the whole VAG range) are nothing like the VCDS systems and do not produce the same results and cannot do the same things.
Perhaps that explains the response.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I do take your point but if the byte18 bit 00 code is a hidden value that can only be set on Odis, why is it that they can’t tell you if they have reset it or not? I did explain that I wanted the EPROMs reset to the factory settings and they could not confirm whether that had been done or not. It seems to be a case of ‘computer says maybe’.

I don’t doubt that they can do a good job on servicing but this seems to be beyond them.

Edit: Have just noticed we are on the TMC thread and are discussing issues about the ‘Xenon headlight’ thread. The deviation police will be watching!

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
There is a dealer tool that is much more capable than VCDS, I can't remember the name it might be Odin or similar, bt all such things are only as good as the person using them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s VAS/Odis. I did mention it in #14. 🤓

·
Registered
438 Posts
Trilux,

I wonder if this perhaps is a question for a friendly VAG tuner / remapper?

The chap I used down this way for a couple of UN-fixings seemed to have a very good selection of tools (real and virtual) to access the inner workings of the ECU and seemed to know his onions regarding software systems and diagnostics.

Could be worth a call to a couple to see how much deeper they can go than with VCDS etc?

Spag

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Spag. There is a chap somewhere in the area who I met a few years ago, who apparently is the one that everyone, independents and main dealerships go to when it all gets too clever for them. I will track him down and see what he says.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,799 Posts
You could try giving Forge Motors in Aberaeron a ring and see if they know anything.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Graham. I do know they have the VAS/Odis kit as I did contact them a while back. While I was chatting to them, I asked for a quote for a cam belt and pump change, out of interest as Sinclairs had just sent me a 10% discount offer. I was a little taken aback when they quoted me £130 more than Sinclairs offer and still considerably more than Sinclairs’ normal price. What they quoted as an hourly rate for labour was reasonable but they had seriously bumped up the prices for the parts and coolant. It made me a little wary.

Perhaps it’s me? Your personal charm obviously pays off dividends with these companies. 😊

1 - 20 of 30 Posts