Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,799 Posts
Forge did the N0x sensor on my last Yeti and as you say their labour charge was a lot less than Sinclair's, but the actual sensor was only a bit cheaper. But taking into account the distance and time from home they were a better bet. Even Simeon at Sinclair agreed with that.
(Plus SWMBO couldn't go shopping in Swansea!)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very understandable from where you are. In my case, I can get to Gorseinon in about 30 minutes but it‘s about an hour and a quarter on very twisty roads to Forge’s. Clearly, you will save a lot of money on the deal by keeping your good lady away from the shops. 🙂🙂

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I took my car in to Sinclairs Skoda, Swansea a couple of weeks ago to reset the software on the central electrics module (more of that on my Xenon headlights thread) but also to do do software fix on the TMC.

I gave them a printed sheet with all the details Urrell mentioned. It was met with a blank look and after a couple of days I was told that they had checked with Skoda and no-one had heard of it. The parting shot was: “ Someone else reported the same problem but when they crossed the Severn Bridge into England, it sprang into life”

Urrell, I believe you and whenever I have crossed the Severn Bridge it has certainly not sprung into life for me. Guess I will just have to live with (or without) it. :confused:
This thread on TMC system has been running a while. Here is a personal update.

I was in Bristol a while back and tried the TMC. For the first time since I have owned the car (three and a half years) it sprang into life. I kept checking along the M4 going westward and it was active almost up to Swansea. A few days later, I tried it again in West Wales and ….nothing. Even more recently whilst travelling between the Severn Bridge and Suffolk, it was fine.

It therefore seems likely that it is a broadcast radio issue, at least in large parts of Wales and possibly elsewhere, rather than with the Amundsen itself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Skoda website now displays ‘manuals‘ on how to update maps on Amundsen and Bolero systems.

This is slightly different to the way we have been doing it in the past. I was chatting to a dealership rep about the lack of a working TMC on my system. He was suggesting that a map update may include a system software (firmware?) update that may sort the TMC issue. As I updated my maps a few months ago on the old system, I have not tried this yet. Will report back.
I updated mine about 3/4 months ago and it is working.

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
571 Posts
I have "Working" TMC but it's borderline useless.

Might warn of a motorway holdup but has no clue as to the best alternative route to use as it has no traffic knowledge of more minor A and B roads.

I've had VAG NAV in cars from around 2010 but 99.99% of the time use googlemaps or waze.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Might warn of a motorway holdup but has no clue as to the best alternative route to use as it has no traffic knowledge of more minor A and B roads.
I have been taken on some very minor roads when congestion detected in all updates.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have been taken on some very minor roads when congestion detected in all updates.
Yes it will redirect but when you check with googlemaps it isn't the quickest route as TMC doesn't have the data for congestion on the minor roads.

I use the M1 daily around the Nottingham, Derby area and TMC will try and take me on the routes that are already backed up if the motorway is closed or congested. googlemaps or waze will take me around them. That's the advantage of tracking thousands of Android handsets.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Yes it will redirect but when you check with googlemaps it isn't the quickest route as TMC doesn't have the data for congestion on the minor roads.

I use the M1 daily around the Nottingham, Derby area and TMC will try and take me on the routes that are already backed up if the motorway is closed or congested. googlemaps or waze will take me around them. That's the advantage of tracking thousands of Android handsets.
Indeed! That's the difference between dumb re-direction and intelligent like Google Maps and Waze. The latter incorporated into the former since Google bought Waze. Google / Waze monitor traffic speeds and delay zones even on minor roads. Not just from Android users. Everyone with with an iPhone and Google Maps installed are also feeding data on location and road speeds back to Google. So Maps can predict all the active hold ups like temporary roadworks, even in some obscure places.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is a very rare occurrence that I use my phone as a satnav.

This stems from my lap of Britain by motorcycle, before which I purchased a TomTom that could be pre-programmed with complex routes, so I could be sure to keep on the coast roads rather than be directed onto the fastest route to my desitination.

Another feature of this TomTom is that it shows traffic hold-ups and road closures, much like google maps. It gets an internet signal by pairing with my phone over bluetooth.
I'm not sure where this traffic and road closure data comes from. There are plenty of TomTom users whose data would be free (or at worst very cheap). But the quantity of discrete satnav users is insignificant compared to the number of people who have location services enabled on their phone.
TomTom must surely buy live data to augment their own.

However they get it, it is remarkably good, even counting down the distance to the back of the queue, predicting the length of delay, and asking me ahead of time if I want to divert to a route that is x minutes quicker.

The only disadvantage is that setting it up can be a bit of a faff.
For my regular visits to my parents' house (about 35 miles away) I tend to just check google maps before I leave. There are a few separate routes I can take, and I just choose the one with the least red on the map!

I have "Working" TMC but it's borderline useless.
I had TMC in my 2003 Golf! It was the best system available at the time, as internet signals were not easy to come by.
I'm surprised the system is still active!

·
Registered
571 Posts
It is a very rare occurrence that I use my phone as a satnav.
Obviously for later Yetis and all modern Skoda's the ability to use Android Auto and Apple Carplay has made using the phone for SatNav a lot more convenient. Especially the later versions with wireless connectivity.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts