Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was leathering the bonnet yesterday, I noticed a few tiny scratches. They are finer than a human hair, quite short and almost invisible. I'd like to hide them, without the result looking worse than the tiny scratches themselves. I don't want to try to paint the scratch but I've seen clear-coat scratch removal pens advertised. Can anyone advise whether they are any good? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Jimmy, in my experience the "scratch removal" pens are not effective. At least not on the kind of typical washing related marks you describe. However, you may want to try something like Meguiar's "Scratch X 2.0" remover liquid. I got some following it scoring very high in an Auto Express comparative product test a couple of years ago. On the 2 or 3 occasions I've been arsed to use it (fixing mechanical, service or lock down related effects on the Flintstone fleet have been higher priorities of late), then I've found "it does exactly what it says on the tin". Being specifically aimed at the kind of very fine, light surface damage you describe. I guess its a step up in technology and effectiveness from the time honoured "T-cut" that used to be the standard for car paintwork restoration.

In fact, you would be welcome to "borrow" mine. But I suspect that arranging a meet to pass it over, would take far longer than ordering some from a favoured online market platform of your choice. For comparison, it's advertised today at £10.83, before discounts, from CarParts4Less. Although I see Meguiar's now also do one called "Ultimate Compound" for slightly more £s. Aimed at the same kind of blemish rectification but more aggressive. There's a comparison on Meguiar's own forum here:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?30210-Ultimate-Compound-vs-Scratch-X-2-0

Hope this helps? Others may have their own recommendations of course. :)

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Clear coat scratch repair, American but may be available via Amazon or similar.

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
On modern cars with water based paints it's very easy to make tiny scratches on the clear coat when washing the car. Care and the right equipment is needed to minimise that but even then, it's unlikely that scratches will be entirely avoided. Under certain light conditions, the scratches will look like spider's web threads.

Test 1 for the scratches is, Can you catch a finger nail on them? If yes, it's unlikely that any scratch/swirl removing product will be completely successful.

Additionally, VAG paint is typically very hard and hand polishing is hard work. It's normal to use a random orbit polishing machine for this sort of work.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your help. The Meguiar's "Scratch X 2.0' looks like a good option, having watched a video. However, is it a cutting compound? Urrell's video refers to a clear cote repair, but I'm slightly concerned about causing more damage than a cure. Should I wait until it's time to change the car before doing a one-off fix? It's hardly visible at present.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts