Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up to my first service soon, and so I have made a couple of enquiries, first service due at 18000 miles.
Colbornes Guildford £265
Parkview Reading £249
Rainworth Mansfield £180

I have a relative in Nottingham so Rainworth are not as random as they appear.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
First 2 appear to be expensive.
My 18k and 36k were both slightly under £160, but that was over here, on the cheaper side of the country!
Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Yeti has just had a 10,000 mile service, the first service since new, at Parkside Skoda in Bolton. The cost was £162. It would have been £158 but they topped up the washer bottle with half a cup of screen wash and left the nearly full screen wash bottle on the passenger seat. A top-up wasn't really needed but there you go!

Regards, Lee.
Edited by: frglee

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though the costs seem to be higher down here in the south, Garland Motors in Aldershot did not even bother to reply. When I first thought about getting a Yeti I went in there and they did not have one or even offer to try and get hold of one. With an attitude like that they do not deserve any custom.Edited by: The Hood

·
Registered
421 Posts
All my servicing for the next three years will be free! Comes with the Skoda finance deal. I wasn't going to take out a finance agreement, but doing the sums it will be cheaper to take the finance and pay off the remainder after six months (they let you keep the free servicing) than to pay for the car up front and add the service costs. Plus the fact the sums are worked out at present day costs rather than whatever servicing prices are being charged further down the timescale.

Edited by: slartibartfast

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a Yeti on order and am currently doing the sums re the finance deal/'free' servicing offer.Would you be prepared to share your calculations to help me to make a decision? (eg is there an early settlement charge?)
Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It was the finance guy at the dealer's who did the sums, and I had no reason to disbelieve him! There was no hard sell. According to his reckoning the total of the interest charges for a two year contract paid off after six months come to around £300 less than the cost of servicing over the same period at today's prices at their garage. The free servicing under the finance agreement also include a brake fluid change (which would be an extra charge on normal servicing), and, of course, the price of servicing will escalate with time.
The free servicing would be lost if the agreement was terminated after less than six months.
Another extra is that I will have an extra six months interest on my capital before I have to draw it out of my ISA....not that its earning much interest in there, which is why my initial reaction was to pay for the car outright.
Looking at the paperwork there does not appear to be an early repayment charge... the agreement can be terminated at any time, when you would be given a figure to settle.... I suppose one might be built into that..... but if the salesman can be believed he has taken all this into consideration.
Its a scheme my dealer routinely offers to customers offering to pay upfront, and I get the impression its a widely offered deal (but presumably the detail/savings could differ between dealerships expecially if the garage charges differ). I didn't reckon I'd actually LOSE by it, even if it didn't pan out exactly as expected. Worth a punt for me, anyway. £300 isn't a fortune, but its better than nowt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem with the finance deal and the reason I refused it is.If for any reason you dispose of the car, before it has a service, you don't get any of the money back !!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't think anyone would go for a three year deal if they thought they'd be changing the car earlier, but even so I think the servicing agreement follows the car if sold... so you might get a bit more for it than otherwise But I intend to keep this car for many years so went for the deal.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The problem with the 3 year service deal is, that in 3 years you could potentially have only needed one service at 2 years, and second service due in year 4.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Yeti doesn't seem to want to be serviced, 17640 miles on the clock and the status read out says 1,600 miles or 230 days to go. It will get a service whether it likes it or not!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kenny R said:
The problem with the 3 year service deal is, that in 3 years you could potentially have only needed one service at 2 years, and second service due in year 4.
Its OK if, like me, you opt for fixed (annual) servicing; then you get all three, andf I shall make sure I do!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You would have to be on fixed servicing to get the best out of the free servicing deal, but it's still worth even if you want to be on variable.The 'must keep the finance for 6 months' story is a myth, possibly given out by dealers to maximise their commission on the finance. You can withdraw from the finance agreement within the first 14 days, or request a settlement figure after that and either way you still keep the free servicing.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the beast went into Parkview Skoda this morning (18204 miles on clock), this is the first time that I have been to a garage and found a parking space! Clean premises, polite staff the cost was £247, 50% more than Rainworth quoted but SWMBO didn't fancy a short break in Nottingham .
They lent me a 62 plate 1.4 TSI, nice car although it seemed sluggish compared to the normal car, but boy did it drink fuel 51 miles covered with the Maxidot showing 32.9 mpg, later the same route covered in my car showed 52.4 mpg!
Told no problems and 5mm all round on the tyres, a goodie bag was left on the front pax seat (halk bottle of screen wash, and can of PTFE spray?). All seemed well on the way home, but when I got home swmbo said the garage had called saying they had forgotten to mention I had a noisy front shocker, the parts were on order with an estimated fit early July. I have not heard any knocks, squeaks, clonks, or groans, will have a look in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The Hood said:
All seemed well on the way home, but when I got home swmbo said the garage had called saying they had forgotten to mention I had a noisy front shocker, the parts were on order with an estimated fit early July. I have not heard any knocks, squeaks, clonks, or groans, will have a look in the morning.
That's an awfully short life for a front shocker. Have you been driving over gutters or something?

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's an awfully short life for a front shocker. Have you been driving over gutters or something?
[/QUOTE]

No I do quite a bit of motorway driving and fairly long trips. Buying a car with the Yeti's abilities was to deal with adverse weather rather than rough terrain. My previous car covered over 150,000 miles on its original shocks, and the one before that over 18000 miles. Since new I have considered the level of road noise to be fairly high but have put that down to the tyres, especially as the winter set (Michelin Alpins) are much quieter (and more comfortable). I would be more inclined to think that if there is something in need of changing it would be a wheel bearing, as with electronics they either last forever or fail quickly.
I will ring them on Monday to see what they are intending to do, if a shocker needs replacing it should be done in pairs and it seems a bit odd that they did not mention it whilst I was there. I also want to know what they have to re set the steering geometry afterwards as at present the car runs as if it is on rails and tyre wear is very even, which to me puts doubt on needing any disturbance.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Good luck with that. When the replacement is done, I hope they at least do you the courtesy of showing you the "old" part and explaining what is wrong with it and why it needs replacing so early in the vehicles life.
I would be interested to hear how it goes after the fix.
Cheers

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Hood said:
My previous car covered over 150,000 miles on its original shocks, and the one before that over 18000 miles.
There was a 0 missing above it should have been

My previous car covered over 150,000 miles on its original shocks, and the one before that over 180,000miles

1 - 20 of 37 Posts