Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I did not get my car serviced last year but doing so this year alongside its MOT at dealer. Is there a link to a list of items I should expect to get done regarding servicing and what price roughly should I be expecting. They say it needs a main service and also mentioned haldex. All feedback welcome. Thanks

·
Administrator
5,707 Posts
Link to Skoda website specifies what is involved in Oil and Inspection Service and Extended Service (click on right arrow)which together make a Major Service. Brake fluid may also need changing.

Scroll down that page for the latest on for prices for services as they are slightly up on the summary below.
Product Azure Font Line Slope

Reactions: Rubystone77

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,777 Posts
If they are doing the Haldex service make sure they also clean the pump screen.
Most Skoda service centres deny it exists but if not done the 4x4 will revert to 2 wheel drive at some time and it also knackers the Haldex pump.

Reactions: Malk

·
Registered
218 Posts
It really depends if it's coming up to or is 5 years as Skoda recommends timing belt change.
Mine went in to main dealer last November for 5 year service, MOT and the belt change and cost a shade over £800.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
It really depends if it's coming up to or is 5 years as Skoda recommends timing belt change.
Is the 1.4 TSI not timing chain?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they are doing the Haldex service make sure they also clean the pump screen.
Most Skoda service centres deny it exists but if not done the 4x4 will revert to 2 wheel drive at some time and it also knackers the Haldex pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Urrell, Thanks for the tip. However, I honestly don’t know if I need the haldex done now. I am a very low mileage road driver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Link to Skoda website specifies what is involved in Oil and Inspection Service and Extended Service (click on right arrow)which together make a Major Service. Brake fluid may also need changing.

Scroll down that page for the latest on for prices for services as they are slightly up on the summary below.
View attachment 6328

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

View attachment 6328

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Snowgood. I was looking on the dealer site. Doh!
Anyway I see they may advise to change brake fluid for an extra £65 or thereabouts. How do I know if it needs this?
It is past 5 years so is cambelt change important on a low mileage car like mine?

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
It is past 5 years so is cambelt change important on a low mileage car like mine?
I thought the 1.4 TSI engine had a cam chain so no change needed.
Brake fluid change recommended at 3 years then every 2 years thereafter.

Reactions: Rubystone77

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought the 1.4 TSI engine had a cam chain so no change needed.
Brake fluid change recomended at 3 years then every 2 years thereafter.
Thanks very much, will check if it has a cam change and brake fluid.

·
Registered
2014 Yeti 2.0CR TDI L&K Rosso Red
20 Posts
Hi Urrell, Thanks for the tip. However, I honestly don’t know if I need the haldex done now. I am a very low mileage road driver.
I did the haldex at 51k and the screen was nearly blocked. If you're at 16k, probably not worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you Snowgood. I was looking on the dealer site. Doh!
Anyway I see they may advise to change brake fluid for an extra £65 or thereabouts. How do I know if it needs this?
Brake fluid change is debatable, the fluid absorbs water which can rust caliper pistons and abs pumps so every 2 years? Practically there's many people who have never changed fluid in 200k miles and never had a problem. You don't know you need it until damage is done.

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
27 Posts
Brake fluid change is debatable, the fluid absorbs water which can rust caliper pistons and abs pumps so every 2 years? Practically there's many people who have never changed fluid in 200k miles and never had a problem. You don't know you need it until damage is done.
Brake fluid which has absorbed water has a much lower boiling point than fresh brake fluid. That can make a big difference under heavy or emergency braking - just when you most need your brakes. Stopping as little as 1 metre earlier could make the difference between a minor shunt and a write-off, or between missing a pedestrian and killing them.

At £65 every 2 years to change it, it's a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
All the more reason to get it done. Low mileage means more wear not less!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brake fluid which has absorbed water has a much lower boiling point than fresh brake fluid. That can make a big difference under heavy or emergency braking - just when you most need your brakes. Stopping as little as 1 metre earlier could make the difference between a minor shunt and a write-off, or between missing a pedestrian and killing them.

At £65 every 2 years to change it, it's a no-brainer.
Agreed, the need to change brake fluid on a regular basis is undeniable and for very good reasons. I am not implying "don't do it", but there are examples where it hasn't ever been changed and the owner has not suffered the consequences.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I see they may advise to change brake fluid for an extra £65 or thereabouts. How do I know if it needs this?
The subject of brake fluid always seems to generate discussion.

To answer your question ... The grade of brake fluid in all Yetis is known as "DOT4". And so the braking system will have been designed to work with fluid at all points within the DOT4 standard.
So strictly speaking, it needs changing when the properties of the brake fluid degrades to any of the DOT4 specification minimums.

The problem then arises that it is not easy to test the properties of the fluid, so vehicle manufacturers usually just publish a recommendation to change it at a fixed time interval.
They are naturally cautious when deciding what the time interval is, as the operating conditions of each individual vehicle cannot be predicted.

One of the specifications often referred to is the boiling point of the fluid.
For brake fluid to meet the DOT4 standard, it must have a boiling point of at least 155°C.
Boiling brake fluid is very hard to achieve on our public highways, and is not something that the overwhelming majority of motorists will ever encounter.
Modern braking systems are designed to minimise heat transfer to the fluid, and they are very good at achieving that.

The main benefit of renewing the brake fluid is that it slows down corrosion of the internals of the hydraulic system.
Water absorbed by the old fluid is the main cause of said internal corrosion.
The water itself can corrode parts of the braking system, but the water also changes the pH value of the fluid.
Renewing the fluid gets rid of most of the water, of course, and it also carries fresh corrosion inhibitors into the system.

By the way, the flexible brake pipes are usually the biggest source of water in the fluid. They are not quite impervious to water vapour in the atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts