Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I'd test drive it but wanted the community's opinions and advice on whether this is a good car, and what I should check, ask please.

On paper, it has almost everything I am looking for. Yes, I'm aware that the pano roof may cause me water leaking issues. Another issue is gaps in service history.
The seller is a "supermarket" type place, and I looked at another car, before leaving, and he did say "they're just cars. They're all just cars!" :-D

This is the vehicle I'm interested in.

I was going to make an offer of £12k and potentially walk away with the car for £12.5k. Happy to spend another £1k to bring the car up to decent reliability and serviced standard.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
Ultimately Shilling, its your money and your choice.
Here's some information to cross-check its genuineness:
Font Rectangle Magenta Pattern Number

Negatives for me would be:
That VERY skimpy Service History as Mark said in #2.
Leaky roof potential, sooner or later? (As you've already mentioned).
Keyless start and entry (Thieves charter, unless you plan to keep the car in a locked garage every night).
Not ULEZ compliant (Has Brum implemented its ULEZ yet?)
Chocolate seats (Can't get away from that with an L&K I guess? Maybe I would get used to them?)
Being sold by a car supermarket (What after sales service? Clueless sales staff on "cars", as you have encountered).
Why did it need a new gearbox at just 30k?
Has it ever been a Cat S or N damage rebuild?
Has it had the VW emissions software "fix". Or had that removed? Affects future component reliability.
I'd be doing a full history check. HPI are the bare minimum. Others like Car Vertical are much more in-depth.
DSG - but that's just a personal preference for manual transmission. DQ250 box in diesel Yetis has a reputation to be much more reliable than those on the the 1.2 TSi.
Paying for an expensive Sat Nav that is more cost year on year to maintain.

Positives would be:
140hp version so the sweet spot in the range on power vs economy.
Jungle Green
Seat position memory linked to each key.
Nothing else over an SE or SEL.

In the current used car climate, you may find the sales people less likely to haggle on price than you are expecting? Although I could be wrong? Depends how pressured they are to meet individual targets rather than wait 2 days for a punter who is happy to pay the asking price just to get a car quickly. That said, it IS at the top end of today's Auto Trader valuation range, so some wriggle room may be possible?
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive parking light Font

Reactions: shilling

·
Administrator
6,153 Posts
Strange it doesn't mention its a 4X4, unless I missed that bit. As others say service history would want exploring. Should have had Haldex service and DSG oil change but gearbox replaced after 30K miles (why?) would have required change so due now if not done before. Check carpets at front aren't wet already as leaks from sunroof likely to have shown by now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Flintstone! That's really useful.

I have never had a problem with Keyless, so not an issue for me.

Chocolate seats... yeah... well... I'm not bothered by those at all.

ULEZ... Don't need it, rarely go into city centres in a car. I have access to a nippy scooter for that, or would park on edge of zone.

I am very specifically looking for an automatic, and having driven a VW Tiguan, like how it shifts, but it's a good point to consider.

I'll do some more investigation into the car's history, as well as the VW software fix... MOT checker has a recall checker, and nothing comes up on that. Would it come up there?

I actually think car prices are going to drop, with the cost of living crisis along with eye-watering pump prices, fewer people will be in a position to buy? I would not be paying £13k for this car, I'd haggle it down, and then spend up to £1k to sort out any issues. I know that the 2020 MOT had advisories about the brake discs starting to pit, so that's a couple of hundred right there to spend on parts (would replace myself).

Not in a rush to buy as I have a little banger that does the job for me. The Yeti is a "want" more than a "need"... always lusted after a Yeti!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strange it doesn't mention its a 4X4, unless I missed that bit. As others say service history would want exploring. Should have had Haldex service and DSG oil change but gearbox replaced after 30K miles (why?) would have required change so due now if not done before. Check carpets at front aren't wet already as leaks from sunroof likely to have shown by now.
Yeah, I checked the front floor thoroughly, as I know it had rained the day before I had visited to view the car. Definitely need the explore the service history and gearbox replacement.

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
852 Posts
In my opinion it would be a no.

70k miles with only two services?

I'd want to see every service done, cambelt and water pump at 5 years and DSG service at 40k miles not to mention brake fluid changes and haldex servicing.

And a DQ250 Gearbox and flywheel replacement at 30k miles? These are usually bullet proof, what sort of life was it leading?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my opinion it would be a no.

70k miles with only two services?

I'd want to see every service done, cambelt and water pump at 5 years and DSG service at 40k miles not to mention brake fluid changes and haldex servicing.

And a DQ250 Gearbox and flywheel replacement at 30k miles? These are usually bullet proof, what sort of life was it leading?
The more I think about it, with my head, rather than with my heart, buying this car would be just asking for trouble. I think I'm going to pass! Thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you are looking at paying that kind of money, it would be worth looking for a 2016 model (built May 2015 onward). that way you would get the EA288 engine rather than the EA189 with its potential ‘fix” issues. It’s Euro 6 and road tax is less too.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I'll do some more investigation into the car's history, as well as the VW software fix... MOT checker has a recall checker, and nothing comes up on that. Would it come up there?

Not in a rush to buy as I have a little banger that does the job for me. The Yeti is a "want" more than a "need"... always lusted after a Yeti!
Technically the emissions cheat software fix was a "Service Action" (something to be applied next time the car was at a dealer for a service), rather than a "Recall". In theory recalls only apply to safety critical items. Although Skoda & VAG were able to use the same DVLA mechanism to invite owners to bring their cars in for the Service Action. That's why it doesn't appear on DVLA records as a "recall" though. Because it wasn't.
Whether a car had been "fixed" only appeared on Skoda UK's own portal. Even that was bit vague. Last time I looked though, they had taken down that page altogether. The whole saga is past history to them now, and an episode they would prefer to hide under the carpet. They've even settled out of court recently for the compensation claims (for England Wales at least). To avoid the prolonged bad publicity that a court case would bring.

Best you can hope for is if the owner of the car at the time, kept the official letter that owners should have received after the fix had been applied. Those were intended to show the car had been "properly" attended to and so enhance its value. In practice the opposite was the case, as "unfixed" cars started to attract higher values after it became clear what affect the altered software had on DPF, EGR system, Injectors, Fuel rail, Fuel pumps, etc. Hence, even if the owner diligently handed on the letter to subsequent owners or the garage that chopped it into auction, from where it was bought by the supermarket. Then entirely possible that the supermarket guys have conveniently "mislaid" the letter. (Although that is crediting them with enough depth of VW-specific knowledge to understand its significance?)

·
Registered
546 Posts
£13,000 is an awful lot for an 8 year old car! A few years ago that would buy you a 3 year old.,I paid £10,500 for a 2 year old TSI. What is the registration number? Check the MOT history online.

·
Registered
852 Posts
£13,000 is an awful lot for an 8 year old car! A few years ago that would buy you a 3 year old.,I paid £10,500 for a 2 year old TSI. What is the registration number? Check the MOT history online.
5 year old Yeti's for £20k+ now.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
£13,000 is an awful lot for an 8 year old car!
Perhaps a little out of touch with today's market, I'm sorry to say?

5 year old Yeti's for £20k+ now.
TOPGUN, Shilling,
As Logiclee mentioned, there are plenty of 2014 L&Ks advertised today well over £13,000. Over £16,000 in some cases. As per the list in this link:
Including the very one that Shilling is looking at.
N.B. If link above does not immediately go to the list of 26 selected Yetis, then use the left side panel (left side on a laptop) to specify:
Postcode: Your own
Distance: National
Make: Skoda
Model: Yeti
Variant: Laurin & Klement
Gearbox: Automatic
Fuel: Diesel
Min Year: 2014
Max Year: 2017
Then hit [Search]
One in Chesterfield at £16,250. Although that may be a bit far from Brum?
One in Derby, just up the A38 from Brum, at £15,390
Described by Auto Trader as "Close to the market average."
Nuneaton, even closer, at £13,700. In white though?
A black one in Birmingham itself, 2015 with the EA288 Euro6/Adblue 150hp motor for just £8990 on 140,000 miles (just nicely run-in). Notice this one though is described as FULL Service History.
(Whereas the one Shilling has looked at just says "Skoda Service History", which we now all know means just those two dealer services in 70,000 miles!! The difference in wording is significant? "Skoda Service History" does NOT mean serviced when it should have been. Just that the two days of care it does have were at a Skoda dealer!)

Take your pick. There are plenty around.

No signs yet that the Used Car price bubble is about to burst. Still the restricted output of new cars as the primary reason keeping the price of used cars inflated. Toyota had been less affected than most other makes, because they stockpiled a supply of computer chips prior to 2020. (In a move which was the diametric opposite of the normal Japanese "Just In Time" manufacturing supply philosophy!). That stockpile ran out earlier this year though, so Toyota announced the closure of around 6 assembly plants around Japan some two-three months ago. Jaguar produced only half the cars in quarter 1 2022 than they did in Covid reduced q1 2021. My local Fiat dealer has just two, yes 2, new cars for sale this week. Both of those the currently unpopular Punto models. All sales staff laid off bar the one. I dare say they have a bunch of 500's on order though. Buyers awaiting with deposits paid.

My daughter's 10-year old Fiat 500 1.2 pop is currently valued at £2500. Which is only £1500 less than we paid for it 5 years ago, when it had 45,000 miles on it (with proper full service history). Now has 85,000 with even more detailed service records. The same age Ford KA in the Flintstone fleet now has 87,000 miles under its wheels and was valued last week at exactly the same price we paid for it in 2019 (on 70,000 miles).

Price of fuel doesn't seem to be bursting the bubble? People still want cars. Just use them rather less. This week's rail strikes (set to continue some time?) are driving up demand for used cars still more. New car supply has been reduced for long enough now (2.5 years) that there just aren't the p/x cars coming into the market to cause a fall in the used market. Yet.... Cars 4-6 years old, far outnumber those 1-3 years. Due to the reduced new sales from 2020 onwards.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Perhaps a little out of touch with today's market, I'm sorry to say?

If people didn’t pay these inflated prices,sellers would have to sell at a reasonable price,how it was a few years ago. There must be too much money floating around if someone is happy to pay anything near these screen prices today.Wages certainly haven’t gone up much lately!
TOPGUN, Shilling,
As Logiclee mentioned, there are plenty of 2014 L&Ks advertised today well over £13,000. Over £16,000 in some cases. As per the list in this link:
Including the very one that Shilling is looking at.
N.B. If link above does not immediately go to the list of 26 selected Yetis, then use the left side panel (left side on a laptop) to specify:
Postcode: Your own
Distance: National
Make: Skoda
Model: Yeti
Variant: Laurin & Klement
Gearbox: Automatic
Fuel: Diesel
Min Year: 2014
Max Year: 2017
Then hit [Search]
One in Chesterfield at £16,250. Although that may be a bit far from Brum?
One in Derby, just up the A38 from Brum, at £15,390
Described by Auto Trader as "Close to the market average."
Nuneaton, even closer, at £13,700. In white though?
A black one in Birmingham itself, 2015 with the EA288 Euro6/Adblue 150hp motor for just £8990 on 140,000 miles (just nicely run-in). Notice this one though is described as FULL Service History.
(Whereas the one Shilling has looked at just says "Skoda Service History", which we now all know means just those two dealer services in 70,000 miles!! The difference in wording is significant? "Skoda Service History" does NOT mean serviced when it should have been. Just that the two days of care it does have were at a Skoda dealer!)

Take your pick. There are plenty around.

No signs yet that the Used Car price bubble is about to burst. Still the restricted output of new cars as the primary reason keeping the price of used cars inflated. Toyota had been less affected than most other makes, because they stockpiled a supply of computer chips prior to 2020. (In a move which was the diametric opposite of the normal Japanese "Just In Time" manufacturing supply philosophy!). That stockpile ran out earlier this year though, so Toyota announced the closure of around 6 assembly plants around Japan some two-three months ago. Jaguar produced only half the cars in quarter 1 2022 than they did in Covid reduced q1 2021. My local Fiat dealer has just two, yes 2, new cars for sale this week. Both of those the currently unpopular Punto models. All sales staff laid off bar the one. I dare say they have a bunch of 500's on order though. Buyers awaiting with deposits paid.

My daughter's 10-year old Fiat 500 1.2 pop is currently valued at £2500. Which is only £1500 less than we paid for it 5 years ago, when it had 45,000 miles on it (with proper full service history). Now has 85,000 with even more detailed service records. The same age Ford KA in the Flintstone fleet now has 87,000 miles under its wheels and was valued last week at exactly the same price we paid for it in 2019 (on 70,000 miles).

Price of fuel doesn't seem to be bursting the bubble? People still want cars. Just use them rather less. This week's rail strikes (set to continue some time?) are driving up demand for used cars still more. New car supply has been reduced for long enough now (2.5 years) that there just aren't the p/x cars coming into the market to cause a fall in the used market. Yet.... Cars 4-6 years old, far outnumber those 1-3 years. Due to the reduced new sales from 2020 onwards.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
If people didn’t pay these inflated prices, sellers would have to sell at a reasonable price, how it was a few years ago. There must be too much money floating around if someone is happy to pay anything near these screen prices today. Wages certainly haven’t gone up much lately!
The people paying "these inflated prices" are the same people who want to buy a new car, but simply can't. Because there aren't enough being made. So those people are buying younger used cars instead. Which drives the prices up right down the chain. So 2019's worthless old banger is now worth a couple of thousand. People have always had enough money to buy new cars, for several decades. So there is money around.

Remember that both new and used cars today are usually bought on a monthly finance package. Not outright for cash. So buyers only need to stump up the initial payment to get themselves a car. Very little unemployment means next month's wages pay next month's car payment.

Same economics that keeps driving the price of used houses ever higher. The car/house you are selling is now worth more. In some cases more than you paid for it. So you can put that money towards the one you are buying.

The inflation in used car prices is basic supply and demand economics. Lack of supply plus increased demand = rising prices. The simple facts are that plenty of people ARE paying "these inflated prices". Keeping used car sales forecourts in business, albeit on reduced volume of units sold. Witness the vast rise in advertising for businesses like "We Buy Any Car" and "Cahoot" "Cazoo" and "Cinch". Which are actually sister companies, all owned by British Car Auctions. We Buy Any Car buy your used car off you at roughly the auction value. Then sell you another one at dealer sale price under either their Cinch or Cazoo arms.

Who is going to force people not to pay the market price for a used car, when those buyers need a vehicle to get to work every day? Anyone who can't afford the price of a younger used car (sometimes at the moment more than the same car cost when new) just pays the price for an older model.

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
The more I think about it, with my head, rather than with my heart, buying this car would be just asking for trouble. I think I'm going to pass! Thanks!
I think you are making the right decision, I personally would not buy it, the poor history, the underwhelming salesman, the sun roof will leak eventually, the seat colour is awful, and most of all you have doubts in your mind. There is actually a name for that, cognitive desinence, opportunity loss, if you buy it, you will always be wondering what if I had bought.................................. Walk away

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
No i would not buy it.

As to service history, my 2014 only has Skoda history until 2017, 2 services.
But from 2017 i have my own record written down on a piece of paper.

·
Registered
852 Posts
, the seat colour is awful,
I like the seat colour but that depends on exterior colour.

Doesn't suite green, blue, white, red but black possibly works and a perfect match for magnetic brown. 💩 ;) :D

Brown on Brown. :oops:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Car seat cover

·
Registered
822 Posts
Agreed, Lee

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Also agree with LogicLee on the seats vs. body colour.

For Shilling - you may find some of the points made in this linked thread chimes with your own experience? How not to purchase a Yeti

1 - 20 of 35 Posts