Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Yeti back in February and because of the pandemic have only covered around 1500 miles in it. For the first few months of ownership the heater fan was permanently on so the fan noise drowned out a lot of other noises. Since then i have noticed quite a lot of noise from the induction and it seems to be getting louder.
To start off with it was only really noticeable if i was travelling at a moderate speed and put my foot down i would hear it for a bit and then it would quieten down as the revs got higher. Now i can hear the ingress of air at all times not very loudly at low revs but its there. If i open the bonnet and rev the the engine there is a pronounced chirp /sucking sound a soon as i touch the throttle and then when i let off. Does it sound like i have a leak in the induction set up or am i just being paranoid? Are there any common problems i could check for ? Ive felt around the plastic tubes and i cant feel anything obvious.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I got my Yeti back in February and because of the pandemic have only covered around 1500 miles in it. For the first few months of ownership the heater fan was permanently on so the fan noise drowned out a lot of other noises. Since then i have noticed quite a lot of noise from the induction and it seems to be getting louder.
To start off with it was only really noticeable if i was travelling at a moderate speed and put my foot down i would hear it for a bit and then it would quieten down as the revs got higher. Now i can hear the ingress of air at all times not very loudly at low revs but its there. If i open the bonnet and rev the the engine there is a pronounced chirp /sucking sound a soon as i touch the throttle and then when i let off. Does it sound like i have a leak in the induction set up or am i just being paranoid? Are there any common problems i could check for ? Ive felt around the plastic tubes and i cant feel anything obvious.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !
This happened many ears ago on my DISCO.
The air pipe leading into the turbo from the air filter had dropped off. Turbo sucking air straight in form surrounding area. Helluva row! Pushed it back on, tightened clip, blissful silence (well, normal noise anyway.)
Look for a leak between air filter and turbo, is my best advice. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
What Colin said. Check joints and pipes for cracks between air filter and turbo. Either side of the mass airflow meter are large circlips holding the airflow meter to the plumbing. If you want to take those off to check the pipework internally, I find that vise-grip (a.k.a. Mole-grip) pliers to squeeze and hold the ends together to hold the tension off while you manoeuvre the clip. Much easier than the plumber’s pliers normally recommended.

Is it 100% definitely air ingress noise? Or could there be air egress from a split pipe or loose joint between the turbo high pressure outlet (not easy to reach) and intercooler (in front of the main cooling water radiator). Or between intercooler and inlet manifold (pipework that dives down parallel to the dipstick tube (on the Diesel engine), behind the fans. Leaking out air when the boost is highest? Or even a split in the intercooler itself? Has the performance dropped off at all, if leaking boost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Colin said. Check joints and pipes for cracks between air filter and turbo. Either side of the mass airflow meter are large circlips holding the airflow meter to the plumbing. If you want to take those off to check the pipework internally, I find that vise-grip (a.k.a. Mole-grip) pliers to squeeze and hold the ends together to hold the tension off while you manoeuvre the clip. Much easier than the plumber’s pliers normally recommended.

Is it 100% definitely air ingress noise? Or could there be air egress from a split pipe or loose joint between the turbo high pressure outlet (not easy to reach) and intercooler (in front of the main cooling water radiator). Or between intercooler and inlet manifold (pipework that dives down parallel to the dipstick tube (on the Diesel engine), behind the fans. Leaking out air when the boost is highest? Or even a split in the intercooler itself? Has the performance dropped off at all, if leaking boost?
Thanks for your reply ! It does nt seem to have lost any performance. I will strip down the plumbing next week and inspect all the plastics. I got the wife to blip the throttle last night while i had my head under the bonnet and the noise seemed to come from the area of the cold air scoop at the front so it might be worth checking the intercooler. I will see if i can get a video of with clear audio tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts