Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have sat nav in my yeti and wondered if I were to get the smart link activated would I be able to view Google maps off my phone? Is it worth doing and can my local skoda dealer provide the activation code?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think someone mentioned on here a while back, that it will cost you £150 for the privilege. ☹

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can’t help on that Dave. The price put me off. Someone will be able to give you a sensible answer soon, I’m sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Yeti came with it already working. It does mimic my phone and allows use of Google Maps. Has to be connected via USB cable. Maps only works via voice command while driving for safety, but can be typed in while stationary. Even changes display to night view when your lights come on. I have used it quite a bit in the last year. lots of other apps but I don't use them in the car.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
This may help on what SmartLink can do with Android Auto

·
Registered
41 Posts
It enables Android Auto and I believe also Apple CarPlay at the same time. It's excellent - Google Maps is better than any built in sat nav I've seen, and is updated more often.

Android Auto is the same across vehicles, so just research android auto to see if it's what you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely worth it, can use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze maps using my iphone. These are miles better than the VW / Skoda sat nav system which I don't trust anymore in terms of routes and / or traffic jams

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Whilst Google maps is ok, i used it yesterday in my borrowed karoq, it is nowhere near as good as the built in version in my previous Yeti or my new car?

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
... are miles better than the VW / Skoda sat nav system which I don't trust anymore in terms of routes and / or traffic jams
Any particular reason you say that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Whilst Google maps is ok, i used it yesterday in my borrowed karoq, it is nowhere near as good as the built in version in my previous Yeti or my new car?
I much prefer google maps. I think the routing is better and the traffic is far Superior

·
Registered
118 Posts
This may help on what SmartLink can do with Android Auto
Android Auto has been updated since that video. It's now much more user friendly, especially if you use multiple music apps.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Thanks. Wonder if there is a later version of the video?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any particular reason you say that?
We drive a lot to Cornwall and the VW / Skoda sat nav consistently warns me about significant traffic jams / holds up all flashing as red on the screen so I get my wife to check on her iphone using alternative apps such as Waze or Inrix and there is nothoing being reported.

I'm happily driving through a red traffic problem on my sat nav with absolutely nothing on the road. I've almost taken some major detours due to the VW / Skoda system that are unncessary.

THis has happened a few times now so I've lost faith in what the sat nav is telling me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We drive a lot to Cornwall and the VW / Skoda sat nav consistently warns me about significant traffic jams / holds up all flashing as red on the screen so I get my wife to check on her iphone using alternative apps such as Waze or Inrix and there is nothoing being reported.

I'm happily driving through a red traffic problem on my sat nav with absolutely nothing on the road. I've almost taken some major detours due to the VW / Skoda system that are unncessary.

THis has happened a few times now so I've lost faith in what the sat nav is telling me.
Nothing beats Google Maps and Waze for live traffic. They use the same database which has access to far more live data than anything else.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Thanks. TMC seems to have stored data that's out of date. The advantage of Waze is that it is based on other Waze users actual progress so as you say may give more accurate live data.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks. TMC seems to have stored data that's out of date. The advantage of Waze is that it is based on other Waze users actual progress so as you say may give more accurate live data.
Waze is far more advanced than that. It now shares google data and google is tracking the speed of Android phones whether they are on google maps, waze or just in your pocket. Google also has data from the TMC sources, iphones that are using Google maps and other databases that it has licensed from third party's like network providers.

Google and Waze now share the same data.

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
The TomTom phone app used to be brilliant, but they have really screwed things up with their new release. There are so many incorrect speed limits it is enough to drive you mad. The M4 from Heathrow to Theale has been a 50 average zone for years, now shows as average zone with a 70 limit. Basingstoke ring 70 limit sat nav has reduced it to 50. Last week doing 40 in 70 limit (even displayed as 70 on screen) and sat nav shouting it's head off that I was going too fast. There is now no volume control and you get a prize when you work out how to close the app. No wonder they now have weekly updates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts