Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve looked at the options for a spare wheel ie full size 225x50x17 or the 195x60x16 but both raised the floor to high for what I need I’ve been advised that I can use a space saver 125x80x17 as the smallest option. Can enyone advise me if this is suitable

·
Registered
500 Posts
bad advice I'm afraid. The Yeti was never homologated for a biscuit space saver, and using it would invalidate your insurance. Sorry

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I’ve been advised that I can use a space saver 125x80x17 as the smallest option
Who advised you of that?
As already stated the 195 x 60 16" is the only size Skoda provide for the Yeti spare.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
If you really need the boot height so badly, you might perhaps be better off travelling with no spare at all, as was the standard position for the Yeti and is for most modern cars. Rather than installing a space saver 125 wide wheel and tyre, that you couldn’t legally use.

As #2 and #3 (and the previous thread on the same subject), yes it could probably be made to fit, but as it it is a non-homologated part, likelihood is you could be invalidating your insurance to use it. At very best you would need to inform your insurer that your car was “modified”, with the consequent hike in premium being a likely outcome.

What is the over-riding need for the boot depth?
Why do you so desperately need a spare wheel at all?

·
Administrator
14,381 Posts
In addition to the above, having previously used a car with a "biscuit" for a spare, the first thing I did after using it was to buy a steel wheel with a proper tyre to replace it. The Mazda was less powerful than the Yeti, and when used on the front the "biscuit" was downright dangerous especially in the wet on a front wheel drive car.
If you really need the boot space go for the gunge, some members have stored their spare on edge with suitable restraints.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you really need the boot height so badly, you might perhaps be better off travelling with no spare at all, as was the standard position for the Yeti and is for most modern cars. Rather than installing a space saver 125 wide wheel and tyre, that you couldn’t legally use.

As #2 and #3 (and the previous thread on the same subject), yes it could probably be made to fit, but as it it is a non-homologated part, likelihood is you could be invalidating your insurance to use it. At very best you would need to inform your insurer that your car was “modified”, with the consequent hike in premium being a likely outcome.

What is the over-riding need for the boot depth?
Why do you so desperately need a spare wheel at all?
Thank you for your reply,it’s just that I’m uncomfortable with not having a spare in the event of a puncture or blowout And using it as a get you to the nearest repairer, also I need the space for my golf clubs and trolly.Strapping it and standing the wheel on edge Might be the best option and having the thinner wheel would be Better

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Thank you for your reply,it’s just that I’m uncomfortable with not having a spare in the event of a puncture or blowout And using it as a get you to the nearest repairer, also I need the space for my golf clubs and trolly.Strapping it and standing the wheel on edge Might be the best option and having the thinner wheel would be Better
The perceived risk of a puncture is nowadays very low, and I don't think I have heard off a "blow out" of a car tyre for many many years. For example I had Yeti's for over 10 years, drove in excess of 180k miles, some of it off road on rocky tracks, and in that time had only ONE slow puncture.

The stupidly thinner wheel is NOT better. The car is not designed to use them, their fitment will invalidate your insurance and taken to an extreme could result in your prosecution by DVSA for driving a car on the road outside of the Construction & Use Regulations.

And your clubs and trolley should easily fit lying down in the boot once you have folded down one or two of the rear seats.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
901 Posts
You need room in the car to put the full size punctured wheel in when you've changed it.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I had one puncture in about 160k miles which stopped the car, AA soon arrived to help. SEveral slow punctures, but the pump which comes with the car tops it up and gets you to a repairer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a mater of interest does anyone know if the same 16" steel wheel is fitted to any other car than the yeti

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As a mater of interest does anyone know if the same 16" steel wheel is fitted to any other car than the yeti
VW Transporter Van; I think.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
1) VW Combi van anywhere, including UK.
(That’s the Golf based van, as currently popular with British Gas fitters).
2) Yetis in some markets other than UK.
3) Golf in some markets where alloys not so popular, or where value for money rules over style and appearance.
4) others in the VAG empire, such as some SEATs perhaps.
5) Dunno about the Transporter vans mentioned by Bryetian, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply's Yeti wheels are a bit thin on the ground around here and I don't want to buy a new one (short arms long pockets )

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Thanks for the reply's Yeti wheels are a bit thin on the ground around here and I don't want to buy a new one (short arms long pockets )
Can I suggest you add your basic location in your details. Someone local may be able to help with finding one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just been back to the Skoda dealer to have another look at the 2017 Yeti I have a deposit on. It has 225x50x17 wheels.
Please to see is has the 195x60x16 spare wheel kit, but the jack etc is missing. I might have to ask the dealer if they will be giving me a jack.
Can anyone please confirm what should be included in the kit, as might get the items transferred from another car on their forecourt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you look under the spare wheel? some Yeti's jacks are stored there, some are along side.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts