Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up 2 sat navs on the dash and went for a ride, I also set up the Amundsen as well. All points on all 3 units were in sync as I passed junctions.

Indicated speeeds @ 30 Mph : speedo = 30 Mph / Maxidot = 49 Kph / satnav = 29 Mph
Indicated speeeds @ 40 Mph : speedo = 40 Mph / Maxidot = 63 Kph / satnav = 37 Mph
Indicated speeeds @ 50 Mph : speedo = 50 Mph / Maxidot = 82 Kph / satnav = 46 Mph

Satnavs give an accurate speed reading at all times, +/-0.1 mph at 100mph, providing that you are in open site of the sky and on a level road. Both my satnavs have been tested against a calibrated speedo, so it looks as if the manufacturer of the Yeti speedo has not calibrated it correctly, they haven't even syncronised the speedo needle and the Maxidot, and of course the more miles the tyres do, the rolling radius decreases and the inaccuracy
gets bigger. Its a pity the Maxidot wasn't linked the the GPS, that way we could be sure of at least one correct reading.

So in conclusion, if you drive within the indicated speed you should never get a speeding ticket, but unless you fill your tank every time you do a Mpg calculation, you cannot rely on the Maxidot to give you a correct Mpg figure either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well posted. It was a subject I was about to raise. I have a Garmin 550 which I had calibrated by using on identical spec BMW motorcycles, one my own the other a 'company' vehicle with calibrated IRSspeedo. The Garmin matched the calibrated display consistantly but with the standard speedo indicating 30mph at true 32mph. At true74mph indicating 70mph. So I'm happy the SatNav reads accurate. This week for a quick comparison I ran the Yeti and SatNav together and found that the needle was running roughly in line with the non accurate BMW percentage. I seem to remember the legal tolerance isrunning in line with these readings. However the main bugbear I've noticed is the lack of marking on the dial itself. Having come from a digital speedo to this is taking some adjustment. This is not the Yeti's finest feature. I know there are various shenanigans possible with the Maxidot but I'm trying to avoid that route. Maybe a months driving will help. And as you point out MPG figures are lacking in accuracy so 53.9mpg looks good but I'll do it the old fashion way and see what comes up.

·
Administrator
13,664 Posts
From memory I recall that car speedo's are allowed to be up to 10% inaccurate, but they are not allowed to read slow. So all the above are within the 10% limit.
I agree about the speedo it is penny pinching not having dual markings on the dial, I would also prefer it if the speedo was on the left. It is a reqiurement in this country to have the ability to show KPH, so I suppose a clearstick on KPH scale on the speedo glass would take care of that. Then we could all have Aussie cars with mph on the maxidot.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
If the only thing you have to find fault with is the fact that the speedo doesn't have small KPH markings then it just goes to prove that the Yeti is a bloody good car. I actually find the KPH reading in the maxidot very useful.

And I also find it strange that the other vehicles in which the same speedo is fitted, certain Octavia's, the VW Tiguan, very few owners even comment about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Following on, I have been doing some research into speedo error and speeding tickets.
An indicated speed on a Yeti speedo was 30 50 70

Skoda Yeti 1,6 TDI GreenLine actual speed 27 46 65 205/55 R16 T
Skoda Yeti 2,0 TDI DSG 4×4 actual speed 26 46 65 225/55R17 99T

With current speed cameras, you're currently allowed 10% of the limit plus 2 mph. In this case the indicated Yeti speedo reading could safely be: 35, 57, 79, and in theory, NO speeding points or fine should be issued.

The 10% allows for a difference between your speedo and theirs and the 2mph on top is because all car manufacturers set speedos around 2mph below the speed you're really doing in an effort to slow people down. The new limit of 10% + 9mph which is soon coming into force, will mean in theory you could travel at 86mph on a motorway and not be given points, however you will be sent on a driver improvement course if you are caught within this range and have to pay for it yourself.
If however you are caught speeding by a police vehicle all the above can change because you are being dealt with by a human and not a machine.
Police vehicle speedometer accuracy. The patrol vehicle speedometer should be checked for accuracy at the end of a tour of duty after detection of an offending vehicle. Speedometer accuracy can be checked using: a certified measured distance with certified stopwatch or chronometer; or a rolling road type device; or against another Type-Approved device NOT fitted to the vehicle, e.g. laser or radar equipment.

Means of Checking your speed
The checking vehicle should be positioned to the rear of the suspected offending vehicle so as to maintain, throughout the check, an even distance between the vehicles. Speedometer readings should be taken throughout, preferably related to readily identifiable points passed, and for a minimum distance of 2/10 of a mile

Some of which I have posted are direct quotes from VOSA advisories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts