Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed that Skoda recommend super unleaded for my new 1.2TSI. I wondered why for a 1.2 engine. Does everyone with this engine follow this recommendation?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi empcom...Yep I only use 95 or 98 RON depending on what I can get and/or afford. The 1.2 is a turbo so lower RON fuels would have preignition (detonation/pinging) problems that the knock sensor and ECU ignition maps can't compensate for. You may not notice this but your engine will. In an emergency, one tankful of lower octane fuels will still work but the performance will be comparatively poorer and the ECU warning lamp will most probably light up. Over the longer term engine damage (ie melted pistons) will probably occur. I have also been told that European petrol fuels start at 95 RON. Maybe some of our Euro members can confirm for me if this is so???

In this market (AUS) all the European petrol motors are tuned for 95 RON and higher.

As a side note I once did an economy test on my wifes 2005 Hyundai Accent between low 91 RON and high 95 RON fuel. Even though it is "tuned" for 91 RON, the low octane fuel consumption was 8% higher. So now we fill it with 95 RON all the time.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
5,142 Posts
Yep plbxr, unleaded fuel in the UK is 95 Ron and super unleaded is usually 97 RON.
I generally use 95 RON and occasionally fill up with a super unleaded (BP Ultimate or the Shell super equivalent) and have never noticed any pinging. In France I noticed they sell an 95 E10 which has higher bio fuel content and is not recommended for older petrol cars but apparently the Yeti is fine with ithowever mpg is lower. I didn't try it so can't comment on it's performance

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Thanks SnowGood, I wasn't sure if my information was correct or not as it's a bit difficult driving to Europe from here just to confirm that

Just so I don't cause confusion with readers, when I talk about lower octane fuel I mean 91 RON...which I now know that you guys don't have, and 95 and 98 RON are regarded as high octane fuels. I guess there may have been a little confusion in my translation of what is what in each country. If you only have 95 or higher then things would be OK.

Here 91 is E10, and 95 (Premium)/98(Ultimate) have no alcohol added.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far. I have been thinking along the same lines as Snowgood to use 95 RON Unleaded most of the time and occasionally use Super Unleaded from a well known oil company as opposed to a supermarket. If anyone has any other ideas I would be happy to hear them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've only used normal unleaded and all seems fine.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I use 98 most of the time, 95 when on trips - this is mostly a financial decision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Using 98 would only do you good during summer or if you live where it is hot most of the year. 95 during winters. You'll probably get a little more mpg using 98. If you drive normal 95 will be perfect anytime of the year.

Its when its hot outside 98 will not spike and have ecu pull back on ignition curves (reduce hp) as much as if it was 95. I really dont think anyone is ever going to experience that on 95 anyway, not in these engines. I dont even think it did that much of a difference on my previous cars, changing sparkplugs to colder ones did however get rid of spikes when going full throttle on hot days. But they were 300hp+.

When its cold outside it doesnt make a difference. My thought is that this isnt a racing car so Im back to just fueling 95 =) but thats me.

Edited by: mf1981

1 - 8 of 8 Posts