Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a Citigo, Fabia and Yeti... We've left the brand.... Can't seem to see the value for money anymore, but certainly can in our new Suzuki SX4 S Cross... Our Yeti was an SE and ideally I would have changed to a L & K yeti or a new top spec Karoq... But not for another 11 grand over our Suzuki.... And we are now averaging 65mpg! All the spec I would ever want... Shame to leave the brand, but I just can't see the value for money anymore!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I had a look at one of them before buying the Yeti as they looked good all round, but the boot space as i recall was very small.

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
A few years ago we looked at an SX4 for SWMBO, it was a small (she called it cute) box shaped car. Is this the current version of it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was also worried, as we've got 2 labradors. Though they've both actually got more room! We've only lost a tad of space in height, but its a wider and deeper boot! Plus I can have a spare wheel and a low boot floor at the same time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And yes, this is the latest generation, and the ALLGRIP system is fantastic! Snow mode is incredible and has got us out of a lot of trouble! And still with mid 60 mpg.

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
Perhaps when you have lived with it for a while and the initial novelty has reduced you could give us a comparison between the two.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As The Hood stated, it would be good to get a comparison between the two in a month or two. I recently took a 1.6 petrol Vitara for a test drive and didn't gel with it. I was then pointed to the S-Cross as a alternative by the salesman but I didn't have time to have a play and when he said it was a one litre engine I thought it would be worse than the 1.6 I'd just tried, even if it was turbo powered......but I could be wrong! You did appear to get a lot of car for your £'s though.

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
onceamazda said:
  I was then pointed to the S-Cross as a alternative by the salesman but I didn't have time to have a play and when he said it was a one litre engine I thought it would be worse than the 1.6 I'd just tried, even if it was turbo powered......but I could be wrong!  You did appear to get a lot of car for your £'s though.
I think it is a 1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Hood said:
onceamazda said:
I was then pointed to the S-Cross as a alternative by the salesman but I didn't have time to have a play and when he said it was a one litre engine I thought it would be worse than the 1.6 I'd just tried, even if it was turbo powered......but I could be wrong! You did appear to get a lot of car for your £'s though.
I think it is a 1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel

I believe the one I was shown was a 1.0 Boosterjet. Big car for aitsy-bitsy engine!

KennyR - I know what you mean

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
1.0 litre boosted would be very roughly equivalent to a 1.7 naturally aspirated motor. Petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1.0 boosterjet, although has slightly less BHP has more torque, so you don't have to work the gearbox as much.. and is more efficient than the 1.6 NA. We plumped for the 1.6 diesel rather than the 1.4 boosterjet. More comfortable for certain and a lot better road holding than our Yeti.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mikhail said:
More comfortable for certain and a lot better road holding than our Yeti.

I was surprised to hear that, one thing I've always been impressed with the Yeti is both comfort and road holding.......mmmm, me thinks I might be trying out one of these S Cross things - that is if we ever get out of our snow covered estate
My Yeti is fitted with Goodyear Efficient Grip - great in wet/dry conditions, hopeless in snow!

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
onceamazda said:
My Yeti is fitted with Goodyear Efficient Grip - great in wet/dry conditions, hopeless in snow!
In last night's blizzard, I actually left the Yeti on the drive, and took SWMBO plus our eldest Cost Centre (part of the ""boomerang generation""�) to the cinema 4 miles away in the BMW. The Pirelli P7s on the Yeti (summer tyres) are good in most conditions, but the Yokohama W-Drives on the Beemer's winter wheels actually make it much more sure footed on both hard packed or soft snow and slush, than even the Yeti. Hard to comprehend for a rear drive car like the BMW. But true enough nonetheless. . On leaving the very underpopulated cinema around 23:15, we had to figure which igloo in the car park was our car. But I had thrown a soft bristled sweeping brush in the boot, with which to clear the windows, lights and roof. Sure enough the Yoko's took us home again with no problems whatsoever. Been worth every penny of their £100/corner again this winter. Now in their third winter. Edited by: Flintstone

·
Registered
662 Posts
Before purchasing our Yeti I looked at the S Cross and test drove Vitara 1.6 diesel as there were no 1.6 petrol versions available,liked the Vitara but it was let down by hard plastics on dash and doors,similar in the S Cross.The spec on both cars was impressive for the money but the overall quality of materials used was nowhere near as good as the Yeti,if you can live with that both cars are a good choice but don't expect Skoda quality,you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plastics look and feel the same to us, just less squeaks and rattles now, I'm sure the materials are lovely in the karoq and kodiaq but not 11 grand minimum more lovely.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Suzuki SX4 S Cross SZ5 1.6 diesel from £26,249, Skoda Karoq 1.6 Tdi SEL from £25,195, hardly an 11 grand difference?Edited by: Kenny R

·
Registered
662 Posts
Kenny R said:
Suzuki SX4 S Cross SZ5 1.6 diesel from £26,249, Skoda Karoq 1.6 Tdi SEL from £25,195, hardly an 11 grand difference?
I must say I agree,I too am confused by the 11K difference quoted,maybe all will be revealed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought a Vitara 1.4T Auto AllGrip. Awesome AWD and at least as good as the Yeti.

We also have a Yeti 150BHP DSG 4x4 and they behave in a very similar way.

Vitara - lighter steering, better drivers seat for my long legs
Yeti - can get better seat virsitalty.

Boot space is about the same
Power is about the same
I get about the same MPG
Insuarance, servicing is about the same
Tax is cheaper on the Vitara

The Vitara speakers were rubbish, I changed them for Pioneer good spec and the difference is now about the same.

All the controls, sat nav etc are about the same but operate slightly differently.

I like the Vitara auto wipers and LED dip lights.

They handle at speed in a similar way, but when really pushed the Yeti feels a tad better but that is only when you are really gunning it which does not happen at all often.

My wife and I jump in either, she prefers the Yeti for one main reason.......is has a conservatory roof......she means the panaramic sun roof.

If i had to choose just one I would probably go for the Vitara.

The SX4 will be very similar to the Vitara but with a different body shell.

They are both very very good cars

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
goldfinger said:
Kenny R said:
Suzuki SX4 S Cross SZ5 1.6 diesel from £26,249, Skoda Karoq 1.6 Tdi SEL from £25,195, hardly an 11 grand difference?
I must say I agree,I too am confused by the 11K difference quoted,maybe all will be revealed.
All is revealed... I didn't want a 2 wheel drive... Like for like with the same equipment.. Over 36k...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts