Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. The tailgate wiper parks in 2 positions....1. right down against body; 2. just a little further up. Apparently the position depends on the number of sweeps (after 2 sweeps position 2, then next time position 1 and so on) When parked in either position the wiper occasionally fails to work. If I move the arm with a little force then away it goes ok and continues to work ok till same fault occurs next time (could be same day or weeks later etc). I am assuming there is 1 or 2 "park" switches or contacts in the wiper motor which may just need cleaning?? I have contact cleaner spray and electrical contact grease. ( I have just done a rebuild and overhaul of my Reliant Scimitar Lucas wiper system).
Can anyone tell me what to look for on the Yeti (photos would be good) for finding the relevant contacts.

2. Associated with this is what is the technique for getting the tailgate trim off (I understand it is easy to damage the fixings (clips and plastic turrets??) which would need new trim!.

3. Also associated, while trim is off where will I find the switch for the boot light. It works when by-passed at wiring in boot. Again photos would be good.

Den
PS new FREE replacement engine still going well after timing chain debacle which recked first engine.

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
Removal of trim was covered on the Dark Side. May help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...saw that but I have a vague memory that some time in the past someone had either broken something to do with the clips or had given actual details of exactly how to remove clips.......maybe in a certain order? bottom or top ones first......outer to inner??....all a little at a time all together??

Den

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
On this forum? Nothing found in immediate search but when I have more time I'll look again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now become more urgent as wiper has stoped in position 2 and even with trying to move arm as before it still does not start.
Does it run off its own fuse? Front screen wipers are working ok.
Is there a detailed description of motor with circuit diagram etc anywhere? Has anyone striped one down?
Would still like more DETAILED description on how to release tailgate trim clips without damaging trim/turrets/clips. (have seen copy of workshop manual on here describing how to remove but find it a bit vague on how exactly you release the clips......a photo of these fixings would be great)
Would prefer to fix rather than buy new motor if possible.
The Lucas motor on My Scimitar I rebuilt is running better than new!! Its "parking" position switch was easy to clean with contact cleaner and grease with contact grease)

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
There was a batch of faulty rear wiper motors which were replaced by dealers. I wonder if you could now get a free rear wiper motor.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The parts list is usually quite good in showing locations and types of clips etc but not very in this case. If you search for the part number of the clip you will find pictures of them.

Then it should be a case of using your trim removal wedge or tools like this:

Probably best to get some new clips before you start the job. Breaking a few is par for the course on this sort of job.

Rear Hatch Trim.jpg

EDIT: The parts list says Qty 1 for part number 22, while the diagram shows two of them. Having now searched and found pictures of the specified part, I don't think this is the trim clip. Instead I think its the "socket" for the "stud" to which the gas strut is attached.

Another search for the trim panel brought up this:
which at least shows where the clips are. From the pictures, the clips look like the metal spring type like this:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bryetian.....The clips in that Amazon look to be the type - from looking at the tailgate trim pictures. It would fit in with the comment "recondition the clips" from the workshop manual describing removal of the trim (so very sketchy and of little use). There appears to be 15 of them.
The spares page you show starts at item12...I wonder if the page before that shows the clips and givs a part number??
Where do you get the spares lists from?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I found the correct page; the hatch trim is included with boot trim. The clip is parts 23 and 24. Both have the same part number which is curious.

Rear Hatch Trim 2.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks (had problem copying and printing out unlike first diagram which I printed lanscape)

Perhaps there are 2 different clips depending on age/model?
However still in the dark as to how to prise them apart.....bearing in mind comment by Gizmo in a post in 2012 "Be warned the clips are a B******d to remove."
Hopefully someone will reveal all soon...with a photo even.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry attachment should not be on my post...don't know how it happened and there seems to be no way of me going back and editing to remove....perhaps a moderator could do that then remove this post ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Maybe you just need to give it a go. I have no reason to remove that trim panel but I've just tried one corner and it was easy using a wide trim pry tool.
Easy to put back together too, just needs a firm press or thump.

IMG_20200321_115826.jpg IMG_20200321_115945.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hmmm, was supposed to be thumbnails only for the pictures. Obviously I need more practice at inserting them . . . . :)

EDIT:
Practice complete.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On this forum? Nothing found in immediate search but when I have more time I'll look again.
Hi,
I removed mine about a year ago to replace the pull down strap.
If you remove the strap retaining screw first then prize the trim off
with trim removal tool. I can't remember if anymore screws but definitely remove
strap first. Don't be afraid to use abit of force, the trim will pop off with the right tool.
Good luck
'B'

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bryetian...thanks. From your finger size in pictures they look to be the 15mm long by 9mm wide (various sellers but differing sizes for same part number!) £1.24 each from one seller BUT £8.45 post!!!!!!!!!
I will have to pluck up the courage.
Woopee.....just pushed wiper spindle in and out a bit while applying a little twisting pressure and wiper ran ok again.
So fuse ok and motor would seem to be ok.....so must be parking switch contacts somewhere in motor or perhaps the plug/socket dirty/corroded.

·
Registered
699 Posts
From your finger size in pictures they look to be the 15mm long by 9mm wide (various sellers but differing sizes for same part number!) £1.24 each from one seller BUT £8.45 post!!!!!!!!!
Check the price from a Skoda dealer. If you are looking at ebay sellers, my experience is that this sort of small part is often more expensive than from a dealer.
Anyway, these clips are unlikely to break on removal, unlike the plastic ones. You could just do the job and only buy replacement clips if one or two ping off into that special place known only to trim clips. Easy to replace any missing one(s) later by making any 'gaps' at the corners.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
In the past when I have broken an odd clip I have used some self adhesive velcro pads, when used in the "middle" or within a row they are completely invisible and prevent rattling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now further questions. Bearing in mind I am in rural Devon with nearest big towns Bideford and Barnstaple quite a distance away for access to suppliers so a lot of shopping done online, ebay etc.
1. Where is recommended for one of those trim removal tools that bryetian is using in photo? It looks to be quite sturdy and long lasting. (have seen many advertising cheep sets on ebay but are they just rubbish that break on first use)
2. Where/who is recommended supplier for a new tail-gate wiper motor? (in case required if I can't just clean parking contacts/renew brushes) (Nearest Skoda franchise - Marshall in Barnstaple......saved £20 on wing mirror repeater light replacement by getting one from Italy instead of Marshall official quoted price.....that is including cost of post!).
3. Are brushes available for the motor? (I got some for my Lucas motor for the Scimitar from a supplier that had a vast range all shown visually and each had its details...sizes...clearly shown.....few pounds for brush instead of lots of pounds for a new motor)(The nearest size only needed small amount of rubbing down to make a good fit in their holders).
4. How do you get the wiper arm off so spindle of motor will feed back through tailgate? (sorry if all becomes clear when you attempt the job but I like to know the snags in advance to enable strait forward speedy completion of job since need car to get anywhere from out here in the middle of the fields.) Will hopefully make notes and take pictures if/when I do the job to post in the HOW TO section.

Thanks
Den

1 - 20 of 34 Posts