Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced my wiper motor a few weeks ago

I bought a magnetti marelli part from mister auto for about £50 or something and it works perfectly

Do not worry about replacing the clips. They are metal and you won’t break them

Remove the pull handle first and the trim panel simply pulls off with some brute force

I used trim removal tools just to create some space to get my fingers in

You don’t need these though - a flat screwdriver covered in masking tape will work and not scratch the panel

once you get the first few clips pulled away the rest are easy

Soak the wiper spindle in wd40 for a day or two before doing the job - to remove the wiper arm I had to use a puller as it was seized on. This is made from plastic so be careful- I was surprised mine didn’t break I had so much tension on the puller to get it off

There are 3 bolts to remove, a hose with a clip and the wiring harness plug
you might be lucky and get yours off by hand - If removing without a puller loosen the nut but leave on finger tight so you don’t fall on your backside or hit yourself when the wiper does come off.

Bend the wiper away from the glass as if you were replacing the blade and rock the wiper arm side to side as close to the spindle as possible to break the taper.

the arm will move a lot as the bolts have rubber bushings so don’t worry

·
Registered
37 Posts

£45-£60 for the wiper motor depending on brand. I wouldn’t risk buying a used one for the sake of saving £20

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also before fitting wiper arm to new motor run the motor to A check for washer works and there are no leaks and B make sure the motor is in its park position

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
1. Where is recommended for one of those trim removal tools that bryetian is using in photo? It looks to be quite sturdy and long lasting. (have seen many advertising cheep sets on ebay but are they just rubbish that break on first use)
How about Amazon Here

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
Have you noticed that Amazon are really struggling with deliveries. Many of those trim removal tools coming from an Amazon warehouse, not China, are saying free delivery by April 26th! That's five weeks! A week earlier if you pay a delivery fee.

·
Registered
699 Posts
1. I got the set of trim tools from ebay. Maybe it's pot luck or don't go for the cheapest ones. The purchase was too long ago for it to show in my buy list.

2. Italy? Most dealers will give you 10% if you ask nicely. Try TPS if you have one nearby and if they will sell to you. They are the trade supplier for VAG parts. They may sell to you but if so, it's likely to be at full retail price. Otherwise Eurocarparts or carparts4less. Probably many other suppliers.

3. I doubt it. Like so many other car components, designing them to be repaired isn't a priority - or even a vague consideration.

4. Usually it's remove plastic cap, undo nut, then use a puller to remove the wiper arm. Lots on ebay, quality unknown: wiper arm puller | eBay
or like this:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Have you noticed that Amazon are really struggling with deliveries. Many of those trim removal tools coming from an Amazon warehouse, not China, are saying free delivery by April 26th! That's five weeks! A week earlier if you pay a delivery fee.
I ordered a book from Amazon yesterday and the delivery date is 31 March - and I paid £2.99 for the delivery. Humph!

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If you expect it to be seized on try giving it a soak with some Plus Gas for a couple of days, Plus Gas is actually a genuine penetrating oil, many others claim the same but are not penetrating in the same sense, or as good. Spray cans on Amazon, not too expensive and worked well on my rear brakes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Wonderful response from all..thanks.
There appear to be at least 3 variants of motor: SKODA OE 5J7 955 711 A or B or C.
I have basic 1.2 TSI petrol 2010. (realise number will probably be on the motor when I get trim off but am still in the getting-ready-for-the -job-stage:cautious:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The links I posted are the correct parts. They cover variant A,B and C
Just wonder then what the differances are between the 3 variants?

Am at soaking in penetrant stage now. Does the washer jet in the end of the spindle just screw off if a puller has to be used, so puller centre would bear on threaded spindle end or rather on the nut unscrewed to just flush with end? (don't know if new motor comes complete with jet so do not want to damage).
Dennis

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Thanks MP. Another bit learned...nice and easy removal/replace. Don't know if new motor comes with jet. Have sent to Skoda UK question asking for difference between the three different suffix part numbers (hopeful). Don't want to order new motor only to get a new wrong version that blows up any part of control circuits because of different orientation of plug pins etc. (experience with age and a life as professional electronics engineer fixing down to component level on expensive small and large complex equipment makes one rather careful to get it right and find out the facts first. So sorry if this snag seems to be dragging out a bit)
Have just got tin of Plus Gas but for last 3 days have had tailgate up in horizontal position and been soaking tapered joint with COMMA multipurpose spray and no luck loosening by pulling/wiggling by hand. Plus Gas just applied and will pluck up courage to try a small 3 leg puller tomorrow.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Fingers crossed the Plus Gas gets it, it works differently to general purpose sprays. But if it does you will always wonder if the Comma did it. 😈

21 - 34 of 34 Posts