Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading umpteen posts about the pros and cons of a spare wheel, I contacted the dealer who supplied our Yeti this morning and haggled a good deal for the full kit from the spares department.

I regularly venture up remote forest and hill tracks while pursuing one of my outdoor hobbies and feel very vulnerable that a puncture could cause me real problems, not just a bit of inconvenience, if I managed to seriously damage a tyre.

You certainly lose a bit of height in the boot storage capability, but there is an awful lot more room for tools and other bits and pieces under the floor.

Also, down to Murphy's law, I now will probably never get a puncture!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wise decision IMHO David. We had one with the car and find the boot space ok It's peace of mind as well, let's hope Murphy's good to both of us

·
Administrator
14,850 Posts
If you go into forests and hill tracks it would be worth putting something in the boot to put the jack on should you need to use it. If you got a flat and the jack sunk as you wound it up, it could be embarrassing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Hood,I will keep a piece of wood in the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked the spare wheel kit up this morning and that's it fitted in. It was pretty straight forward except that the instructions show the jack fitting into the existing underfloor storage box, but the jack is too long to go in, so it is in one of the new boxes.

Despite the various illustrations on-line, no circular storage box is supplied and the wheel fits in with the void downwards, losing a lot of useful storage unless you are prepared to lift the spare wheel to get at it. A towing ring is not included in the kit either.

The existing Skoda boot mat (for no spare wheel)fits acceptably well on the new raised floor wthout having to resort to scissors. Unfortunately, the curry/bottle semi circularstorage unitdoes not fit with the raised floor.

While transfering the various tools from the old redundant polystyrene holder, I found a set of tweezers which I have discovered are for pulling plastic covers off the wheel nuts before using the wheelbrace. This is the first time I have ever encountered this with alloy wheels and surely the nuts could have been properly self finished, without having to resort to push-on plastic covers.

The only downside with the raised floor is that the tie-down rings are now pretty redundant. The loss of depth in the boot does not concern us a bit and I have to say, our three border terriers are much happier jumping into the back now that the floor is level with the cill and they can actually see it.

All in all, a nice well built and thought out kit. The price I paid was £246 for the complete package.

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Have you left the towing eye buried in the old plastic kit? It is quite well hidden.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked the contents list and illustrations for the spare wheel kit and I have all the bits shown.

The circular tool holder and towing eye are not shown. I will re-check the old tool holder tomorrow, but I thinkthe towing eyemust have "disappeared" before I bought the car, if in fact it is supplied with a new car. Mine was a demonstrator.

Regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
The towing eye is included in ALL new cars, so I suspect yours has disappeared at some stage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boughta Yeti towing eyeon eBay for £9.50 post free, brand new. That's me fully organised for most eventualities I hope!

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
921 Posts
The towing eye doesn't come with the wheel kit unless the kit is factory fitted.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
RickT said:
The towing eye doesn't come with the wheel kit unless the kit is factory fitted.
See my reply earlier!
Llanigraham said:
The towing eye is included in ALL new cars, so I suspect yours has disappeared at some stage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts