Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum, and I've only been with my Yeti for 3 months. Previous partner was a VW Caddy Maxi van.

As with most diesels the Yeti engine takes a long time to warm up.

I was hoping that the climate controlled air-con would quickly warm up the interior, but alas, no.

I have been checking out electric coolant heaters on t'internet, but I am unsure whether it would be safe to fit to the Yeti cooling system.

The most efficient heaters seem to be fitted in the lower heater hose, and rely on either natural convection circulation, or they have a small integral pump.

The bit that I can't get an answer to, is, does the Yeti with climate control have a water valve in the heater circulation plumbing, and if so, is the valve open when the ignition is off?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Why do people think the Yeti is slow to warm up?
What are you comparing it to?

My Yeti lives outside, in the street. Even when temperatures have been -5 I am getting warm air from the vents after 5 miles and it is fully up to temp when I get to Newtown, 12 miles from home. That is at 0430 in the morning with no sitting there ticking over other than as I get the screen cover off. It is much quicker than both my last 2 Freelanders.

Elsewhere a Norwegian Yeti owner has fitted a pre-heater; I think a UK made kit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All.

For what its worth......

Had a Kenlow preheater fitted to my petrol Landrover-this made a huge difference to both fuel consumption (no choke needed) and demisting duties, providing the faff of running the mains lead out through a communal car-park and the resultant unplugging and retrieval did'nt put me off the prior night!

The Yeti radiator appears to reach working temp within about 5 miles of slow running-which is more than can be said for the oil temp, which currently struggles to reach 60-70 degrees, requiring a quick blast up a steep local hill in order for the required 100 degrees to appear.

Trust this may help?

S/C

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Gang back home from Cumbria now where we did some ice off roading and as i said on the forum the car did well, just to clear one bit up, the icy steep down hill road I said that I had it in second with the off road (or should we say "diff lock") botton engaged, people think that the car needs this button to be in 4x4 but the car is in perminant 4x4without it.the reason i had it in gear is solely to be able to regain power in case the car got too near the drain ditches either side of road.
Any way the snow is teaming down and i am stuck at home because stoke on trent is full of numptees who want to go to the super market (the volume oftrafficon off theircar park) so blocking the roads for the workers to do their business and now the country is at a stand still.
I want to get up into the peak district to get some snow pics for my mate.
found one drawback with the yeti
and that is dont open the door until you have cleared the snow of the roof above or it will drop on your seat.
Just be careful out there, dont foreget we are not grace with the amount of snow our eastern friends have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Guys and Dolls just a quickie -have just checked air pressure on all tyres for the first time.
The dealer had them at 40 psi. What do you suggest

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Put them to the pressures as specified in the Handbook and inside the fuel cap!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tyre Pressure

isn'tit on the tyre its self its on mine and the spare skinney wheel my garage said its not the tyre but the wheel that is week, anyway we are off to the Highlands near John o Groats so we will let you know the fuel outcome.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
adobedon said:
Tyre Pressure

isn'tit on the tyre its self its on mine and the spare skinney wheel my garage said its not the tyre but the wheel that is week, anyway we are off to the Highlands near John o Groats so we will let you know the fuel outcome.
No. The pressure noted on the tyre is the MAXIMUM pressure the tyre is designed to hold.
Think about it. Different cars have different tyre pressures, so how would you put it on the tyre.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought car in January brand new from a Lancs dealer, was checking my old mini tyres and thought I would check the Yeti after 1300 miles. Front 35psi and rear 39psi - far too high. Me thinks they were not checked at PDi. I wonder if this is the pressures the factory uses.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is yours a Greenline? They run at higher tyre pressures for economy/emissions reasons, so I'm told... but as mine hasn't been delivered yet I can't tell you what that higher pressure is.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Yeti 2013 Have you looked inside the filler flap? The pressures will be on a labelstuck inside.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TYRES WEIGHTS Hey boys and girls. Spent a hour on my back under Betty The Yeti.ONE THING THAT was a bit unusual is the amount of lead weights to balance tyres and rims.We go deep sea fishing a lot and I've got more lead on one rim than we carry on our six meter boat.Do you think that is worth a warranty note.
I've had several oversized jeeps and nissans with about the same amount of ballast.I guess if that is the only small critism I can find it is really no problem..

PUG. Downunder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts