Yeti Owners Club banner

Teetering

13K views 114 replies 29 participants last post by  plbxr 
#1 ·
What a super forum this is! I am a wrinkly (very) looking to spend some of the kids' inheritance on our last set of wheels for me and herself.
Live beside the N York Moors. Do less than 10K per annum, all on roads or good tracks, though need something that can cope with the snow oop ere.
Priorities are comfort, reliability, economy, pleasure. Not averse to a few boys' toys though.
I test drove a Yeti last week and we were both very impressed to say the least.
The option I (we) are now seriously considering is the 1.2 SE Plus petrol manual with spare wheel option and non metallic paint. It seems to hit the spot without bankrupting us. Would probably buy from a dealer as we are now risk averse, though I believe we could save a fair bit through a broker.
Any comments from you guys with knowledge and experience would be welcome. Please be aware that I am not technical!

#2 ·
I ordered my Yeti 2.0l Elegance diesel 4x4with the heated windscreen, which is one of the best ever options ever on a car, tyre pressure monitor which does what it says on the tin, spare wheel and mats. I had to wait about 4 months for it but got it in October, just before the bad weather and it hasn't put a foot, or wheel, wrong so far. I'm still finding all the features on it and have been most impressed with it.

With less than 10k per annum you're probably right to go for the petrol version. Are youconsideringthe 2WD or 4WD version?

Keith

#4 ·
Hi GenstablerWelcome to the forum.
Read you posts regarding MDI interfaces and just wanted to point out that the radios with the Yeti, Amundesen or Bolero, have an SD card slot.This allows you to put any music, or other audio you want, in MP3 format onto an SD card and then play it with full view and selection of all the tracks on the display panel of the radio. I use it all the time and apart from when first brand new to check it worked, don't think I have put a CD in the slot at all.

#6 ·
I think the Yeti tends to attract the"more mature" drivers, possibly due to things such as the fairly high price when new, and don't take this the wrong way, thelack of street cred. I've had mine 13 months and have done 14500 problem freemiles, every other new car I have owned has has at least one fault in its first year such as a Morris Marina (still traumatised) having to push start it at three days old due failed starter motor then the alternor catching fire at six months (outside lane of M4), Nissan Prairie shattered seat belt buckles on the first day and a Mazda Premacy with buckled discs as three months to mention just a few.
A lot of the internet sites are in fact dealers, and those such as happynew car, orangewheels and skodastore.com are safe. My Elegance came from skodastore.com which is Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield who give a good discount and deliver nationwide free of charge,the car is delivered on a trailer not driven by someone with a back-to-front baseball cap.

Edited by: The Hood

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a 1.2 Urban last year and it's a cracking little engine. Don't be put off by 1.2 - it's the equivalent of an old 1.6 engine.

I used the What Car? Target Price service and got over £1000 off the RRP. In my case, it was basically an 'introduction' to the dealer who was prepared to sell at that price. All my money was paid to the dealer the day I collected the car and all my communications were direct with the dealer.

#8 ·
Hi and welcome

The 1.2 is alovely engine, my first yeti was a 1.2 and being petrol it will warm upquicker than a oil burner, but the heated windscreen clears in about aminute so a lot better than sitting waiting for the heater (have it on mypresent yeti) well worth every penny. It is also good for clearing any slight misting on the inside.

The only other thing you should give a lot of thought to is winter footwear, being 2 wheel drive and light on the front end with the small engine and your location. But saying that fitted with winter tyres it will be a good car for you.

All the best with your decision

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am also passed the first flush of youth (just, at 67) and liked the look of the yeti when it first came out and we finally got one last October. It was love at first drive and so far having done around 5k I still smilewhenI drive it. It is comfortable and easy to get in and out of despite having a new hip 3 years ago. It is almost impossible to explain to somebody else why it is so good

Next month we are off to Spain for a month, we have driven there before in a Golf and a Passat and expect this to be even better.

My kids haven't clocked the inheritance bit (or lack of it) yet or if they have they have kept quiet about it!

Go for it, have fun while you can. As someone said to me just before I bought mine "there are no pockets in a shroud" he was in his 80's and was just buying another boat with an engine because the sailing boat that he has had for years was getting a bit much to handle.

#11 ·
One other point. The SE plus has bluetooth allowing connection of a compatible phone for hands free operation and voice control. It can also play any MP3 files on the phone once the phone is paired. On the radio display there should be a BT option which will allow full control of the files on the phone.

Makes me wonder sometimes if there's too much technology in cars these days.

Keith

#21 ·
If you need help choosing a colour, I suggest you ask your dealer about relative delivery times. If you choose one of the less popular colours you can end up waiting a very long time, according to my dealer. I've gone for Steel Grey metallic and the estimated wait for that is 8-14 weeks; some people who ordered cars in September last year are still waiting...I gues they went for something more exotic!

#22 ·
I was told by a friend who reckons he knows owt about cars that the metallic paint is much more durable, keeps looking good and will help resale value, while the bog standard stuff gets scruffy quickly. If I intend to keep the car for a while I should therefore pay the extra.A dealer I spoke to said cobblers. No difference these days.Anyone got any experience?

#23 ·
Todays black is tomorrows white! Trends change so choose something you like but maybe stay away from niche colours ( wait, you can't have anything too niche with Skoda like bright yellow as the choice is limited); buy it for you not the next person......

#24 ·
Genstabler said:
Next question, colour. Plain or metallic? The Pacific Blue looks nice. The Rosso Brunello metallic looks great, but is it worth the extra money?

Hi Genstabler, Our Yeti is in Rosso Brunello and your right, it certainly does wear it well!! And it was 'only' £400 extra, but well worth it. If you have not seen it in BR there is a photo of mine in the forum gallery, headed 'Suzuki going to Granada', Also a couple of others a year ago playing in snow.

Whatever the colour you'll love a great car.

#25 ·
If you find a colour that you like but are not sure, why not buy a touch up kit and paint something such asa piece of wood or a bit of metal and put it where you will both see it so you can decide. The dealer in the link below will send you one for just over £11 delivered to your door. If you decide you like the colour you will have a touch up kit ready and waiting for your pride and joy.

http://www.skodapartsshop.co.uk/

Edited by: The Hood

#26 ·
Going for Rosso Brunello. Looks awesome. Have also, much to my surprise, negotiated a whopping discount from a Skoda dealer after showing him the on-line quotation from Skodastore. Final test drive tomorrow on a 1.2 TSI and then, if still impressed, will commit. Excitement mounting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.