Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about 8 years now I have been using Tungsten Disulphide (WS2) powder in all my vehicles and wish to share my experiences with those that may be interested. Particularly in relation to my current vehicle a Skoda Yeti 1.2-litre TSI 77kW petrol front wheel drive with 7 speed DSG gearbox. By using tungsten powder in my vehicles I have seen positive outcomes in regard to increased power/torque outputs to the wheels, decreased fuel consumption, lower NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) levels and increased engine cooling efficiency.

Uses:
Tungsten powder is used to decrease friction in bearing and sliding surfaces and in dry form it is the most slippery substance available. Its qualities lend it to be easily mixed with a wide variety of carrier materials including oil, grease, water, or alternatively, can be used as a dry lubricant in powder form. Tungsten powder can be used in motor vehicles in engines, manual gearboxes, most differentials, hydraulic power steering systems, bearings, hinges and even in engine coolant to lubricate the water pump. It is an inert substance that does not clump or corrode. It can settle out upon standing but it re-disperses easily upon agitation. Its small particle size of 600 nanometers, allows it to penetrate between any sliding surfaces or moving parts where its plate-like structure bonds to the contact surfaces forming a layer of protective tungsten plating about 1 micron thick. It can withstand extreme pressures and has a large operating temperature range.

Power benefits:
By adding tungsten powder to the engine oil frictional losses are decreased and so more power is delivered through the drivetrain. When it is also added to gearbox oil, power losses caused by friction in the gear sets and integrated differential are also decreased. This results in an increase in the amount of usable power being transmitted directly through to the wheels. In my previous vehicle, a manual Peugeot 405 SRDT, this increase equated to being 1 gear up. That is, situations that previously required 2nd gear could more often be done quite easily in 3rd gear. In the DSG equipped Yeti this equates to decreased throttle requirements leading to fewer downward gear changes. This is most noticeable in hilly areas.

Fuel consumption:
As I am using less of the throttle to drive around, the vehicle is also using less fuel. Before treatment the accumulated trip memory displayed an average fuel consumption figure of 8.4L/100km. After adding tungsten powder to the engine oil that figure started to decline and is currently reading 7.8L/100km without a reset. I expect this figure to continue to decline as the travel distance increases.
The single trip memory now displays consistently lower fuel consumption figures between 1 and 1.5 L/100km lower than consumption figures that have previously been seen on the same sections of roadway. For example, in areas that previously saw consumption figures of around 8L/100km it is now normal to see figures of 7L/100km or even less. That is a fuel saving of around 13%. Over a distance of 6,000km that equates to a minimum saving of at least one full tank of fuel, or around AUS$85 at current PULP pump prices.

NVH:
Before tungsten treatment the Yeti was already a fairly quiet vehicle to drive. After treatment, airborne noises such as gear whine, turbo whistle and crankshaft bearing noise were markedly reduced. The higher pitched noises in particular have almost completely disappeared and at a speed of 100kph the motor and gearbox are very quiet and almost inaudible. The reduced cabin noise gives a more pleasurable driving experience. As a result any conversations with passengers are easier to hear and the entertainment system can now be heard clearer at lesser volume levels. The mild exhaust note can also be heard clearer and sounds quite sporty for such a small engine. This was not able to be appreciated so well previously. Safety is also increased as while driving on motorways, other vehicles that may be close but have not been seen in the mirrors, because of the Yeti's blind spots, are easier to hear alongside. Of course tyre road noise and wind noise are still prevalent and those remain unchanged, though these can be addressed further by selecting a more quieter type of tyres when the time for replacement arises in the future. The motor is also noticeably smoother in operation.
As an example of what can be achieved, before treating my previous diesel car my wife stated that she could hear my vehicle approaching the house from 100 metres away as I drove up the street towards home. After adding tungsten powder to the engine, gearbox, power steering fluid and coolant, she could no longer hear it approaching until it was idling at the garage door! Rather impressive I think for a turbocharged diesel engine that had travelled over 300,000km and had never been overhauled.

Cooling:
The cooling system is more efficient as less heat is generated through internal friction of the motors moving parts. The normal operating temperature of the engine oil remains unchanged, as this is governed by the cooling system thermostat. However, the driving distance required until the full operating temperature is reached has been increased. In my local area, I now need to drive two or three kilometres further down the road before the engine oil reaches its normal operating temperature. This reduced heat loading tends to result in fewer activations of the electric cooling fans in urban driving situations, decreasing wear and tear on the fans and also reducing electrical load on the battery.

Usage rates:
How much to use varies on what it is being used for. As tungsten powder works by slowly plating surfaces, its full effects are not achieved till some time after it has been added. Generally with motors and gearboxes the full benefits are only achieved after the vehicle has covered a distance between 1,000 and 2,000 kilometres. Ideally the oil would not be changed for 10,000km or more so fresh oil is preferred but not essential. It can be added as a powder directly or pre-mixed with some of the oil then added. High speed Motorway driving and/or extended periods of time spent idling in stop/start traffic seem to help in the plating process.

* Engine oil - For the first initial dose use 10 grams of tungsten powder per litre of engine oil. For maintenance dosing at subsequent oil changes Tungsten powder can be added at a rate of between 2 and 10 grams per litre of oil depending on personal preferences. For subsequent oil changes I currently add 5 gram per litre.
* Gear/diff/transfer case oil - 10 or 15 grams per litre of gear oil, depending on intended usage and expected workload.
* Power Steering - 5 grams per litre of oil.
* Coolant systems - 3 grams per litre of coolant.
* Grease - 5 grams per 100 grams of grease (5% W/W).
* Spray applicators - 5 grams per litre of your favourite penetrating oil or dispersant, eg WD-40 or equivalent, in a hand trigger sprayer. Shake well before using. (Very good for bicycle chains but do not spray near brake components)

Sourcing tungsten powder can be difficult and expensive. Due to its heavy weight, postal charges may seem expensive. I source my Tungsten Disulphide powder from lowerfriction.com and have found this seller to be of consistently better value than other sellers that I have seen.

http://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=1&gclid=CJHy3YT-gbgCFQlYpQod6TwAMA

Warning note: Tungsten powder should never be used in a brand new or freshly reconditioned motor as it will prevent proper piston ring sealing/bedding. Due to its extremely low frictional qualities tungsten powder should only be used in motors that have travelled greater than 2,500km. It can be used in older motors as long as they are in a good working order. Also, it should NEVER be used in components that require frictional properties for their normal operation. Some examples of these are the DQ250 02E 6 spd DSG, conventional automatic transmissions, motorcycles with engine oil wet clutches and limited-slip differentials with clutch packs.

While I have never encountered any problems attributable to using Tungsten Disulphide powder in any of my motor cars, vehicles are constantly changing and advancing. Problems that I am not currently aware of may, with the passage of time, arise in the future. These instructions are therefore provided for educational and general interest purposes. I do not accept responsibility for loss or damage incurred by their use as this is out of my control. Use them at your own risk.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
If this "product" is so super, pleae explain why no manufacturer or lubricant company advises it's use, or why none of them use it anyway?

Sorry, but "snake oil" springs to mind.

Or has your account been spammed?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Llanigraham said:
If this "product" is so super, pleae explain why no manufacturer or lubricant company advises it's use, or why none of them use it anyway?
I can't answer that question. Maybe you can take the time to ask them for yourself? Then, you can post their reasons here on the forum and we will all know why.
Actually, NASA do use it as a lubricant on joints and moving parts of satellites as it can withstand the rigors of space flight...but then, what would they know?

That's fine, like all of us here, you are entitled to your own opinion. I am fine with that. But usually the expression of "snake oil" applies to products that don't work. As you can see by what I have written in the article that is definitely not my experience by using tungsten disulphide powder as a lubricant enhancer in my vehicles.

No it hasn't. In fact that article was all my own work...6 hours worth. Llanigraham these forums are here so it's members can share their experiences, views and opinions and disseminate information. It is with that spirit of the forum in mind that I wrote the article. I simply wished to share some knowledge and opinions gained from many kilometres of travel and years of experience with other like-minded forum members. That is all. Nobody is being forced to use tungsten disulphide powder in their vehicle if they don't want to. But, some others may wish to try it and if they do then I hope that what I have written may be of some assistance to them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my article. I hope that you enjoyed it and that it has enriched your experience.

I would also like to publicly declare that I have no affiliation whatsoever with Lower Friction. I am simply an internet customer who found that they offered a product that I wanted, at a price I liked, using a pay system I prefer. Simply, I am a happy customer. That is all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Snake oil definitely.Cynical perhaps!

Laughing my head off here. As soon as someone invents a product, and uses "its use by NASA" to justify it, well... draw your own conclusions.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Exactly!!

And there is no mention of this product on the NASA web site.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Llanigraham said:

If it is a powder I would have thought snake dandruff

Sorry couldn't resist it. If it works for you use it, but I think I'll pass on this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts