Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,799 Posts
The blue one and Chinese versions are 😲 awesome. Wish EU was more lax about modifications, having a spare on the back is so nice.
That suggests you've never had to deal with a flat tyre in the rain with a rear mounted spare!

I can assure you it is much easier and cleaner with a spare in the boot!

Reactions: Andysha

·
Registered
183 Posts
That suggests you've never had to deal with a flat tyre in the rain with a rear mounted spare!

You need Arms like popeye to lift the tailgate,

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like the Extreme, that's more butch than the new Landy.
But the rag top, um, it's more Fiat 127 (n)

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,241 Posts
You need Arms like popeye to lift the tailgate,
The spare on the Chinese Yeti was on a separate frame, hinged to one side. So that could be moved aside, allowing the regular tailgate to be lifted normally. Not unlike a few other cars with rear mounted spare wheels. My old Isuzu Trooper had the 2/3 width rear door side hinged, With the spare mounted on that.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
The Xtreme, looks a bit 'Soul' like with it's coloured roof.

Reactions: Slaphead

·
Premium Member
72 Posts

Not if your boot is full to the brim. Rear mounted spare is so convenient.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Would you buy one if it went into production today
A moot point really, as concept cars aren't usually slated for production.
Lots of the visual features tend to be not legal, not practical, or too expensive for production cars.

But I'll spend a few minutes giving a critique...!

The Xtreme's tyres are far too big for a production car of that size. No rear wiper, and "slice your legs off" towing eyes front and rear.
I really like the grey colour. The dayglo highlights are not for me.
The size of the wheels and the cut-outs on the trailing edge of each wheel arch could be interesting for off-roading, I suppose, but one wonders how much wheel articulation and steering lock would be possible.

The blue one looks to be very short judging by the third light (load bay side window), and the production Yeti is already a short car. The whole car looks to be a market-segment smaller than the production version.
No rear wiper again. The roof rails blended into the A-pillar and D-pillar lines would be a production engineer's nightmare.
And those high rear door handles ... I had those twenty years ago on an Alfa 156. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.

The less said about the soft top, the better.

The Chinese one looks fine to me, probably because it has minimal changes over the cars we are familiar with.

You can probably tell I prefer function over form when it comes to cars!

·
Registered
100 Posts
A bit in love with the Xtreme. Business grey with acid yellow highlights wouldn't normally be my choice but it suits the quirky car.

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
The blue car in The Hood's #2, from the rear view, makes the Yeti looks rather more like a Matra-Simca Ranchera from the 1970's? Or on second thoughts perhaps not?

Unlike the Yeti, the Ranchera a.k.a. Rancho, was much more of a "sheep in wolf's clothing". As was not uncommon at the time, it raided the Simca parts bin and 1100/1400 platform, then dressed it up in plastic add-ons that were thought to look good, by someone(?). By comparison to Skoda raiding the VW parts bin and Golf platform very effectively. The Ranchera was something of a sales flop, selling fewer than 58,000 examples over 8 years of production. Yeti, 683,603.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Do you think Land Rover used the Yeti as a styling exercise for the new Defender?

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I remember the Ranchera, mostly because my Dad had a number of Simca cars which, from the age of ~13, I washed and did some of the service work.
The body aft of the B pillar and the roof were fibre glass and it had only FWD. Matra later used the same build method for the prototype Espace.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
Ranchera body aft of the B pillar and the roof were fibre glass and it had only FWD. Matra later used the same build method for the prototype Espace.
Not just prototype? My understanding was all the series 1 production Espace were actually built by Matra, using the Renault platform. Possibly the series 2 as well? Those were still fibreglass superstructure.

Reactions: bryetian
1 - 19 of 19 Posts