Yeti Owners Club banner

Would you consider A Honda HR-v eHEV

• Yes

• No

Thinking of replacing your Yeti ? Would you consider A Honda HR-v eHEV

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
Hot of the press. The dealer info sheet.
for the Honda HR-V eHEV.
I am seriously considering it and my Honda dealer has promised me the FIRST test drive when their demo arrives.
There are so many quite serious problems cropping up on Kodiaq & Karoq forums, together with the fact that Skoda appear to be going down the BMW/Merc route. Buy the basic car and then spend a fortune on extras that others (specially the Japanese and Koreans,) supply as standard.
Very sad after 13years and 8 cars supporting Skoda, But I'm getting concerned about something serious going wrong. A case in point is Jimmy's Octavia iV.
Loads of mainly Japanese HR-v e HEV Vids here:-

See less See more
Reactions: Robjon
#2 ·
I'd have no problem buying Japanese.

Towing weights are an issue for me though,

After 13 Skoda's I'll be looking at something else. I want SUV Hybrid/Phev next and Skoda don't offer that.

#5 ·
That is another reason why I am interested in the HR-V eHEV.
The only hybrid Skoda do is the Octavia 1.0L or 1.5L.
I need a taller car due to my bad back and the Octavia is too low.

#3 ·
No one seems to make what I want yet, and currently looking likely to be a Disco 4 (or similar) and an electric runabout, but the Yeti keeps excelling and stopping me. I wouldn't go for a new model as an early adopter. I would also probably avoid Honda now they have left 3000 people redundant. If I was going for a single vehicle most likely at present would be a Mitsubishi PHEV.

#6 ·
Be careful regarding the Outlander PHEV.
I had one and while an excellent car, all the current reviews put it low down for being not up to date, low quality finish, no sat nav on model. very poor battery range.
Having owned one I joined the forum and various problems came out.
Paint problems especially black.
Battery mileages decline faster than others. some 3 year old ones only have 75-80% of range left and 75% of 25 miles doesn't leave you much! Best mileage I got on mine was 27 summer. 18 winter.
The Mitsubishi claimed mileage is a complete joke for normal everyday driving, Unless you can charge at the office after a less than 25 mile commute.
In an 80 mile round trip with no charging facilities I averaged 55MPG, which is actually pretty good for a 2 ton brick.

However it's not all bad.
It is comfortable, roadholding is phenomenal (4WD) contrary to what the reviewers say.
Most of my driving being urban, I only filled the tank 3 times in 6 months, charging at home on a 3 pin plug (5 hours from 0-100%
Lastly.
Sales of all new Mitsubishis are ceasing in the U.K. next month. Dealers may therefore change brands or close. To counteract this Mitsubishi are enrolling service dealers and full spares will be available (by law) for 10 years.
Bearing all the above into account, go and drive one, they do drive very nicely, and if you like it, considering all above buy one. But not black!! in spite of all my comments above I enjoyed driving mine and creeping about in complete silence. The reason I got rid of mine so quickly was a personal problem. I became obsessed with trying to better my E mileage on every trip and calculating a route with as few hills as possible, or small hill up and big hill down to enable regen.
By the way. one very good point which many, including KIA DON'T have is an electric heater, so you can pre-heat the car and therefore defrost it whilst plugged into the mains (using the mobile app, which works, unlike the Skoda mobile app!) or even if not you can drive off in E mode without the ICE running and still warm the car up. You can also 'save' battery for use in a clean air zone at the end of your journey, run it on EV only, hybrid, or Hybrid AND charge the battery on the move, but beware the consumption in that mode.
At least it won't be in for repair anywhere near as much as ANY LandRover product!!
Good luck!

#4 ·
The Octy iV is the best car I've ever driven, but there are a few minor irritations, all owing to software issues. I am waiting for a software update and I have a direct contact at Skoda UK, who keeps in regular contact, so I'm happy to remain faithful to Skoda. However, I would not recommend the iV to anyone at present - I've been lucky, but owners of early models have had unfortunate experiences and a few cars have been rejected. Incidentally, I've done around 1700 miles and have only filled the tank twice! I get around 700 miles between fills. Once I've received the July electricity bill, I'll be able to check how much electricity the car has used because our bills are fairly constant throughout the year. I tend to agree with The Hood about Honda, but then again anyone with long memories would never buy Japanese, Chinese or German products of any type. It comes down to quality, price, availability and conscience.

#7 ·
In addition to Colin's comments, the Octy iV can be programmed to heat or cool, either immediately or at a set time and the charger can be programmed to start when off-peak electricity is available (eg Octopus Go). The latest app works very well on my iPad and it is always on, whereas Mrs J's Android 'phone took ages to boot up and initiate the app. I also get an e-mail if the alarm goes off - fairly useless as it arrives an hour after the event.

#8 ·
I must admit that I have little time for people that won't buy Japanese or German because of what happened 75 years ago.
Years ago I had an old cuz in law who was old enough the know what was going on in WWII and had relations who suffered in Changi. Fair enough that he would not buy anything Japanese.
When I worked for Shell I knew quite a few Germans around my age and they hated any mention of the war as they were so embarrassed by what their Grandfathers MAY have done.
I think it's time we all moved on.
Being a petrol head I buy what I like and quality that suits my wallet. I won't buy a BMW, not because they are poor quality or outside the range of my wallet, but simply because I don't like them. I have had a couple of Vdubs.
I have owned 8 Hondas, 6 Mitsubishis and two Mazdas. I did not have ANY fault with ANY of them. (sadly, unlike Skoda)
QED.
I rest my case!

#9 ·
My best ever car was a NIssan Priarie, had it 21 years and 184,000 miles from new. A seat belt buckle broke after a few days, this was a rear belt fitted as part of the deal so not factory fitted. Then at about 150,000 miles an O ring on the steering rack failed. Nice and easy to work on and a cam belt change used to cost me £23.

#19 ·
I expect staff at Meadens will be wearing black armbands after losing what must be one of their most faithful customers. Make sure you stick around on the forum as in addition to the amount of Skoda knowledge that you have it will be interesting seeing how you get on with your Honda.

#20 · (Edited)
Sorry, doubled up. Couldn't find my post above, just suddenly appeared??
I haven't told Meadens yet:eek:
Fear not, you won't get rid of me that easily. I shall continue to look in here every day and also with being Mod on K&K forums. (I'm still waiting for that cup of coffee at Compton Acres!!)
I may sell the Karoq to them if they give me more than Horizon who are notoriously stingy.
Let's hope the second hand car famine persists until HR-V arrives.

#21 ·
Let's hope the second hand car famine persists until HR-V arrives.
It will. :)
Not driven purely by ongoing lack of supply. Demand is seriously up too, as ever more people seek to travel in their Covid secure little bubbles. Rather than risk travelling by public transport with other passengers who refuse to wear masks.

#24 ·
It's a good looking car with the fashionable front end, as also seen on the Pug 3008 and the Citroen C5. It has a clever drive system too, with two motors, an engine to generate electricity and no gearbox. The clutch to engage the engine to provide additional drive is a work of genius. My brother's wife has a Jazz with a similar system and on a 70+ mile run achieved 82 mpg.

#27 ·
I agree, the front IS FUGLY, but I can't see the front when I'm driving and I shall attempt to never walk round the front:oops:
Having seen it in the 'tin' the other night it is actually not quite as bad as I first thought. I still want it though.
It has so much more USEFUL tech on it than an equivalent cost Karoq.
I am fed up with all the Eurocars being priced as car PLUS extras, thereby increasing the cost hugely.
The Asian manufacturers load their cars fully by model. If you want more tech you go up a grade. Which also (semi-conductor shortage, notwithstanding) generally makes getting the car much quicker.
Nearly all the Honda extras, which I admit are ridiculously expensive, but actually are only frippery, are dealer fitted.
The car comes out of the factory fully kitted out with tech.
The amount of tech on the new HR-V is staggering compared with ANY Skoda model at any price. Unlike and in my experience the Honda kit will actually WORK unlike a lot of Skoda bits. (kick to open tailgate and even the simple electric tailgate which are both unreliable)

#29 ·
Even modern CVTs have developed hugely since the dreaded 'as fast backwards as forwards' DAF CVT! nobody uses 'rubber bands' in CVTs anymore they are metal multi link bands that don't slip in the wet like the DAFs used to.
Honda e:HEVS don't have a CVT! Although Honda call it an 'E:CVT' It does them no favours calling it such, as it puts some people off, as it has you.
It is only a clutch operating a single gear that locks up the ICE to the wheels above about 60mph, or on excessive acceleration. It is designed so that the ICE always runs at it's 'sweet spot'.
I have driven a Crosstar which has exactly the same (but less powerful) e:HEV system. The revs do rise but it is no worse that an ordinary ICE only transmission.
On hard acceleration, my Karoq 1.5 petrol DSG makes more noise than the Crosstar.
The Honda system is unique, no other manufacturer has anything like it.
The advantages are......
Jazz only, as HR-V not out yet. Some get average consumption of 70-80mpg, no plugging in and best of all INSTANT electric torque on take-off, no waiting for the turbo to wake up as in Skoda power trains. Also, although the ICE does turn on and off during hybrid driving, you can't notice it happening and the car ALWAYS pulls away in E drive so there is none of the dangerous 'pause' at junctions as you wait for the engine to kick in when it has turned itself off! All of which I shall be very glad to see the back of in my new HR-V when it arrives.
Kenny, go and drive a Crosstar and see what you think of the system. HR-V demos are due in dealers mid October.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.