Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mucky job, 127k throttle body wasn't too bad but the EGR mixer was horrible.

Job was a bit fiddly, took the airbox off to give extra room turned the EGR mixer through 180 degrees while I was at it.

The bit I was dreading was refitting the hose, and that was a doddle - bit of grease made everything just slide on.

Photos to follow

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No matter how good your gloves are, you will end up pretty mucky.
Get a stock of Swarfega or washing up liquid with sugar which is my preference 🙂

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone is inspired to do theirs here is a link to the how to thread in the Yetipedia
EA189 diesel: Throttle Body removal & clean

And here is a link to the printable PDF guide, also in the Yetipedia https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/attachments/throttle-body-clean-v3-pdf.2331/
Noted, I put the photos in the gallery for interest value as I've not seen a fairly clean throttle body in tandem with a really clogged EGR mixer ... if my coronary arteries were that occluded I'd be dead !

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Good photos Blackbird. Much clearer than mine in relation to the EGR outlet nozzle especially.

Assuming you’ve seen my own write-up too now, can my EGR outlet nozzle trump yours for degree of clogged? ;) I too was surprised at the relatively light loading of soot on the throttle body butterfly and inside the EGR delivery pipe, compared to the mountain of soot inside the EGR exit nozzle itself. My theory is that the exhaust gasses stay hot and holding all that soot in suspension, until they reach that nozzle. The nozzle is cooled by the inlet air flow. So the soot condenses there.

My nozzle was so near to being 100% clogged, I was surprised that gas wasn’t backing up to the EGR valve itself, on the back of the engine. I wonder though, if keeping this nozzle clear, does help to keep the gas velocity up high, as it passes through the valve and delivery pipe. Thus helping to keep those harder to reach components clear? Another theory, partly arrived at after a little experiment a couple of years ago. When I tried inserting a restrictor plate with a smaller diameter hole, between the EGR pipe and the cylinder head. Supposed purpose being to reduce soot build up in the manifold end of the pipe and throttle body? That rapidly gave rise to an EGR fault light, so was removed a few days later. But did set me thinking that if the soot is going to build up anywhere, then I would prefer that to be at the inlet manifold end. Where it is easier for me to reach, compared to the valve on the back of the engine.

When it came to replacing the EGR outlet nozzle, did you find that you needed to file a notch in its holding flange? Diametrically opposite the existing notch? So that the nozzle flange would fit snuggly back onto the inlet manifold, when rotated 180 degrees to exit towards the inlet plenum chamber.

(P. S. As this is the first post I’ve made in over a week, I thought it perhaps worth mentioning that I’m not quite back in the “land of the living”, following the death of our 25-year old daughter a week ago. Popping in here for a read was a first step back towards normality, and I could not resist from a comment in this thread.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG Flintstone, I couldn't begin to imagine where you have been emotionally in the past week, please accept my condolences to you and your family for your loss.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Was it that wet when you took it apart or did you photo after spraying it? Mine at just under 100,000 was nowhere as clogged as yours and much drier, does it reveal a poor upbringing by the previous owner?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Throttle valve photo was prior to cleaning, EGR mixer before and after.

I got brake cleaner in a cut on my hand and forgot to take EGR tube after cleaning !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts