Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum and wanted to say Hi ! to everyone....
And pose a serious question. Yeti's (the early ones) are starting to get on, so once you've worn out your factory set of tyres which ones do you replace them with ?

I have a couple of Skoda Yetis (both 140 4x4 Diesel) one was delivered with Good Years the other with Dunlops Sport SP01s.

So, after a couple of years and over 25,000 miles on each Yeti the question was, which Factory tyre had worked best for me and do I replace the worn factory items with the same again ? OR look elsewhere.

In my experience, the Dunlops out performed the Good Years. They werequieter, gaveme better handling characteristics, but I did find that the Good Years gave a little better fuel economy (only about 0.2 litres/100km), but over 20k miles it makes a little difference.

However, when it came to replacing either tyre I was blown away by the cost of buying the same tyres again. Even buying the tyres online I was looking at over 160 Euro per corner. (Inthe UK I was getting quotes of 140 pounds).

This I didnt think thiswas value for money, a Yeti isnt a sports car or luxury limo, so I wasnt going to pay those kinds of prices.

So, to those who've had the same thoughts, what did you replace your Factory Fitted Tyres with ?

In the end I plumbed for Hankook Ventus V12 evo (K110) and saved over 100 Euro on a set over the Dunlops and more over the Good Years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We replaced our Dunlop SP Sport 01s with Nokian eNTYRE all-season tyres, which have proved to be a good choice - hard wearing, much more confidence inspiring in wintry conditions and no real downsides. Unfortunately they are no longer available, and the equivalent Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons are just as much as the Dunlops.
I have the same Dunlops on my XF, and although they are much better than the factory-fitted Pirellis, I was considering replacing them with the Nokian Z G2 summer tyre. Unfortunately the price advantage in Yeti size is nothing like what it is for the XF.

Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Yeti came with Pirelli P Zeros and I am so impressed I'll be replacing with the same as the grip is very good if you don't hang about. Prefer them to the factory Dunlops on our old Yeti.

As my wife's Yeti is only 2wd and does little milage it always runs around on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. Great tyre for all conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BossFox said:
...my wife's Yeti... always runs around on Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons. Great tyre for all conditions.
Any downsides to the Vectors - noise, etc? We won't need to replace the Nokians before our new Yeti arrives (hopefully!) but when it needs tyres, we would be minded to go for all-seasons again. The Nokians were particularly impressive on wet roads around freezing point, where most summer tyres would be feeling distinctly skittish.

It was the P Zeros I had on the XF, and like the P Zero Neros on my previous X-Type, I found that they suffered from tramlining and felt unstable in standing water - so I was quite pleased they wore out quickly! Maybe the Jaguar's suspension geometry is a factor, or just personal preference. I replaced them with the SP Sport 01s and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s respectively, both of whichseemeda lot better. Each to their own!

Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the Vector 4 seasons are just a little more noisy.
But to be honest it's hardly any difference at all and could just be because I am listening for it.
On the downside they do seem to lack a little grip in high temps (around +30) when my wife and her combo of DSG and heavy foot suffer a bit of wheel slip pulling away. But for the safety over the whole winter it's worth it. Braking and cornering seem fine as the 1.2 DSG is not driven hard.

On my P Zeros on the Yeti I've done a track session, plenty of towing a loaded car trailer around 1800kg (including in several severe downpours) and also a bit of light offroading. Maybe they suit a 4x4 Yeti better.

Edited by: BossFox

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also went for Nokian Entyres through mytyres and have found them to be excellent. If they are no longer available then I would assume that the replacement Nokian would be just as good if not better, progress etc. Had I not gone for the Nokians I would probably have gone for a classic mid range tyre, Kumho, Barum, Avon, Hankook etc.

The general advice I read online and from tyre people with their neutral hat on is don't go for cheap or Chinese. Mid range are a sound buy unless you drive a high performance car, but by all means buy top of the range. A lot of mid range tyres are produced by off shoots of the big boys, they are just positioned differently in the marketplace. Think Audi and Skoda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, I have been toying with the idea of changing my tyres! I did want to test my 4x4 140 out on a bit of loose surface and maybe wet mud etc...Anyone had any probs with the above tyres on that type of surface?
Also are there any places around to test the Yeti's capabilities? not too extreme though!
I'm near Gatwick Airport

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
I regularly drive off-road, mostly on very poor quality forestry tracks, since I have a contract to photograph the numerous industrial remains in the local Forest, plus I do safety and radio on stage rallies, and have never had a problem with the standard tyres, however I would say that having perhaps 30 years experience I do know how to pick a route and am quite willing to stop and walk it first.
As said in reply to your question in another thread, you could join The Hood in the local 4x4 Response Group.

Be aware that if you are running 17" wheels there are currently no All Terrain tyres made in Yeti sizes. Personally I wouldn't bother going to that extreme anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
PhilB said:
thanks for the heads up on that! I'll check out 'The Hood' sounds like something out of 'Thunderbirds' eh!
As you see, he resembles that remark

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
PhilB said:
thanks for the heads up on that! I'll check out 'The Hood' sounds like something out of 'Thunderbirds' eh!

http://www.surrey4x4response.org/
https://www.facebook.com/surrey4x4response/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts