Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like despite regular oil and filter changes I am going to have to replace my Haldex pump. VCDS scan returns
  • 00448 – Haldex Clutch Pump (V181) – 011 – Open Circuit – Intermittent
Reading up on the Haldex repairs site I found and tried the following.

The pump runs every 20 seconds or so to keep the system primed, the ECU powers up the motor for 2 seconds and turns off again.
This causes the brushes to wear out, typically this can be proven by running the pump with VAGCOM/VCDS using the output test function.
If the pump will not run, gently tap the pump a few times with something metal, typically the pump will jump back into life. This is not a fix, this proves the pump is defective.

Time to prise open the wallet and buy a motor, oil and filter kit. I suppose the one good thing is that as it is worn out, I don't need to rush as it can't get any worse. I don't get much free time from 4x4R at the moment.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be the first non-consumable item that I have had to replace so not really bothered after 112,000 miles, I would also prefer a new unit to a repaired one if it was a wire. It gives me an excuse to try this place

Home - This is Your Garage : This is Your Garage

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I visited the workshop this morning and put the Yeti up on the ramp. My hands are too big to get at the cable that runs from the pump to the control box the other side. The pump, filter etc are not a problem but access to the cable will be. The rubber doughnut on the end of the propshaft could do with being replaced as well.

On a positive note, the owner (Richard known as Dick) appears to be a pretty decent bloke and from this morning's visit customers are more like family members, there is an indie mechanic in residence who gave a reasonable price for labour if I get the parts. There is also an upstairs caff which does the best sausage and bacon sandwich that I have tasted in ages along with some pretty decent tea.

The plan may well change to watching someone else struggle whilst I eat sausage and bacon sandwiches and drink tea.
A few intimate photo's below.

Workshop rules/charges :)

Font Material property Event Document Number

Poorly doughnut and haldex controller

Automotive tire Tire Wood Wheel Motor vehicle

Knackered pump

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

room around top of diff, not much even if I remove the control box

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
The Indie workshop and MoT centre I normally use for jobs I don't want to tackle myself, has big notices about "employees only" and "No unauthorised personnel", etc. etc. on the shop floor. To the extent of hanging a chain across the main doorway whenever a car is not actively being moved in or out. All demanded I gather by the business' public liability insurer. Who even do occasional spot visits, disguised as a mystery customer or similar. (They had a biggish claim a few years ago when they accidentally set fire to a customer BMW on one of the lifts while performing some welding underneath. 'Twas well alight by the time anyone noticed. Whole shop nearly went up. Not helped by a much bigger fire in the adjoining gin distillery around the same time. That took out 2/3 of the building one night and needed attendance from 6 fire appliances to get under control. The fact there is a fuel station (different business) 30 yards away in opposite direction doesn't help insurer nervousness about fires either!) They used to have an "MoT Viewing Area" that was right next to MoT lift. With a substantial railing between you and the tester, and a flat top rail that was perfect for leaning on whilst chatting to the tester with a cuppa in hand. Whilst discussing the state of the nation and alerting to any items I may have missed during my own pre-MoT checks. That's now gone too, to make way for a larger, more sophisticated lift in the adjoining bay. So you have to communicate from behind the barrier of a the conservatory-like structure that forms the customer waiting area.

If there is anyone else about when I'm there, I take care to observe all the rules. Only enter or exit through the "customer" door, etc. Don't speak directly to the mechanics other than via the payment hatch, and so on. When there is just me and the owner present though, and/or the regular mechanics who are known by name, I often get invited in. (But always check to be invited first! Just in case.) Usually for a poke about and discussion over one or more of the rally cars being built in the farthest corner of the shop (where they are not in the way of regular work). Often get offered a cuppa, or even "make yourself a cuppa and one for me at the same time - two sugars"! Although you wouldn't want a Trading Standards hygiene inspector to spend too long in the kitchen area! Classic garage workshop kettle, that has a very pronounced, errr, "patina"! :D Not least because they know that if I'm daft enough to trip over a ramp or power tool air line, etc. I shan't be suing them for negligence based on my own stupidity. But yes - they are tolerant of "Jobs I've started myself but failed to finish". Again because I've been known to do some of my own dismantling work first, before presenting the car. To allow them faster access to the real job. Where the stuff removed is not critical and I can easily replace myself, after they've done their bit. AND I don't come playing "Mr Angry" if I find they've missed the odd screw off things like wheel arch liners, after I've got the car home again. That's the sort of thing I remove and put back myself anyway. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
My pet indie is very tolerant of 'I don't fancy doing this myself, what's it going to cost' type of conversations and are OK with talking through stuff while near the ramps. :)

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are exactly the same at TIYG. I missed a parcel this morning, could be the pump I ordered yesterday afternoon. Haldex Repairs still have no oil so that is coming from Haldex Parts. Haldex Repairs include more in their kit than the other company.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered from Haldex repairs at 15.10 Thursday delivered by the postman 10.16 Friday, that's just 19 hours from order to in my hands. They didn't have any oil so I ordered the pump and the filter and Mathew threw the other items in FOC. So I highly recommend Haldex Repairs if you need any Haldex parts.

Product Gadget Audio equipment Cable Electric blue

Just waiting for the oil to come from Haldex Parts.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I would see how much Skoda wanted for the rubber "donut" between the propshaft and Haldex as sometimes they are quite reasonable, this is not one of those times.
The part number is 5Q 0521 307 and they would like the princely sum of £470.92 (inc vat), the parts depot double checked and confirmed the price. Out of curiosity I asked how much the whole propshaft was, just over £1,800 I do like someone with a sense of humour.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's a fair mark up they are charging to cover the costs of free coffee and a comfy chair...

£147.85
MEYLE Propshaft Vibration Damper Coupling Audi Q3 A3Q VW Mk5 Mk6 Golf 1K0521307A

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The place I phoned carry out Skoda servicing (Camberley service centre) but I don't think they have coffee and a comfy chair; I think they have been used by Ruari so maybe it is by royal appointment :)

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This arrived yesterday, still waiting for the oil

So far
Haldex repairs 18 hours from on line order to delivered, but no oil in stock
Millers less than a day from eBay order to delivered
Haldex Parts the oil was ordered 25th November, left at parcel shop for Hermes by seller on Dec 1st, still waiting

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Hubcap
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Wood Circle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts