Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a diesel Yeti for a few weeks last year,
However ended up handing it back to the dealer with engine management issues, (limp mode twice after being in the garage)
I am certain it actually now could have been the dpf, as sadly my now car is having the same issues and has been diagnosed with a clogged dpf.
As I can't afford to fix my dpf issues I am thinking of going back to a petrol car as I don't do enough miles to justify another diesel and need a highish up car for medical reasons
I am thinking of a petrol Yeti
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the petrol ones,

2013 was a crazy year for diesel cars (3)
I just want a reliable car to run,

Also are some of the models Bluetooth comparable?
Bit of a luxury I can connect my phone and iPod to my current car and have became used to this luxury

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Mine is petrol and not had a single issue with it or it's blue tooth connectivity in the 6 months since it came home with me.
You will love it

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi Kittycat, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you had issues with your yeti in the past, it sounds certain to have been DPF problems. I can assure you, I have not regretted for one minute, having my 1.2 dsg Elegance. The car is the best one I have had for years.You will find that it grows on you more & more as time passes with it. I have only done around 2,5K so far, but I had a similar setup in a Golf for three years previous to this. That had the 1.4 engine & dsg gearbox, but I feel no significant loss in performance having lost 200cc. The car drives better than the Golf, and as I have problems getting in and out of lower down cars, the yeti is far easier.
I also find the seats more comfy (that could be because they are leather but I doubt it. My only issue (if I had one) would be that the yeti is a bit poorer on petrol than the golf, but as I do far less miles these days, that really is not a proper issue.
Hope this helps set your mind at ease. I am certain that you will get many many more owners write their views, and can assure you that they will all say the same as me. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi Kittycat, if you're having problems with a blocked DPF then it sounds like a petrol model is really what you need. Both the 1.2 and 1.8 TSi motors perform quite well and are not too harsh on fuel if driven in a steady manner. If you are buying the facelift model then any teething problems from earlier times should be properly sorted by now. My vehicle was built 12/2011 and I have had no issues really to speak of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone who has replyed

After 3 cars in 2013 all I am sure with DPF issues, I am sick of the engine management light

I currently have the diesel Ford Kuga and get around 33mpg
I am looking at the 1.2 SE 2010 model and hope I will get around the same if not a little better mpg
But certainly seriously considering another yeti
Just needed a bit of reassurance after my last one

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If you are getting one with a 7 speed DSG please check to make sure if any gearbox services have been performed. There was an issue around that time with the clutch packs juddering and a service notice was issued to fix the problem under warranty.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
211 Posts
Never had a problem with the DPF on my Yeti, but I do have the opportunity to get out onto the local motorway at least once a month, and make sure that the filter is given a good clean out. I only do about 10,000 miles a year these days, and many of my runs are very short, so my monthly burn out is essential.I've driven 2 1.2 petrol Yetis as courtesy cars, and was looking to buy one when my diesel version came up for sale. I was very impressed with the way they went with very low mileages on the clock at the time, and would have been very happy to run one.
The 2 1.2's that I have driven both returned mpg's in the mid to upper 30's during my short tenure.
Go for it, Kittycat. You won't regret it, I'm sure.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
It all depends on the type of journeys that you make, if they are short and stop stat then you may be better off with petrol, if you make longer journeys you could do best with diesel. I have had not problems and have covered just over 24000 miles in twenty two months. Here is some information which may be of help.

uploads/10/DPF..pdf

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If honest I originally bought a diesel after I had a 1.6 petrol focus and was putting in £50 a week at one point
4 years, a house move to a better location and a few cars later
I use the car at the weekends running stop starting round town, the drive is 24 miles there and home
And week days the odd 6 mile trip up to the next town

So I think petrol would be ok
I did have a shot of the diesel 4x4 version when my Yeti was in the garage trying to be repaired and that was scary on fuel,if it wasn't as thirsty as the 4x4 then I am happy enough
I normally put in £40 a week to the car so as long as I am not putting in more
Shouldn't think I would with a 1.2

·
Registered
73 Posts
get yourself a petrol version. you wont be dissapointed. my 1.4 returns 35 - 40 round town ,40 -50 on a run. makes a diesel the more expensive option.imho.

brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently bought a 2011 diesel Yeti only had it 3 months & the DPF light came on. I too wonder if after 35 years of diesels a new technology diesel was a mistake. We only do about 7K a year & wonder if diesel was a wise move. Before the light came on the engine idle speed went up for a few days from 800 to 1100 RPM Apparently its to "burn off" the soot. Unfortunately the computer doesn't know your about to rear end the guy in front when you don't expect it because it don't slow down. Fair do. the dealer told me to take it down the dual carriage at a decent speed for 15mins. It worked OK light out. I am now wondering for how long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree CJBean
My last few diesels have always been the old 1.9 Engine from Vw & no issues at all
This last year I've had the new 2.0 engines with the dpfs
And all 3 cars the engine management light has came on & either go on limp mode, not started etc
My Kuga light did go on and off and I know it will come back on, that's why I am going back to petrol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish me luck
Viewing a possible Petrol Yeti tomorrow morning with the option of taking it home if it's suitable,
Dealer is 100 + miles from home

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Good luck, what a noble gesture willing to house a homeless Yeti, now where did I leave those tablets. Seriously I hope it goes well and the weather is not too rotten.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Hood said:
Good luck, what a noble gesture willing to house a homeless Yeti, now where did I leave those tablets. Seriously I hope it goes well and the weather is not too rotten.
Pmsl

Well I did actually offer a home to this poor homeless girl
Was love at first sight and she is very nippy for a 1.2
Very reasonable with fuel too
Here is a photo of her

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Very nice indeed, I bet it won't stay that clean for long though. Don't forget you have got a very capable vehicle, if the weather gets a bit rough don't put it in the garage or cover it up, let it go out and play.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts