Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a witter tow bar fitted to my 1.2 TSI Yeti. This was fitted in order to tow a small caravan but I have decided to change my 1.2 TSI for a 2.0 TDI Yeti since the latter will have more pulling power. My question is can the tow bar be removed. It is a witter (detachable) tow bar which cost over £500.00 to fit. Otherwise I’ll have to pay another £500.00 to put a tow bar on a new Yeti.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The tow bar is simply bolted on so it can certainly be removed. That just needs the bumper taken off first.
When the tow bar was fitted there would have been an extra controller fitted just behind the LH rear wheel arch, behind the LH boot trim. That should also be removed as the replacement Yeti will need that. For a complete job the coding that would have been done in conjunction with the new controller, should be reversed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I had my Towbar fitted they replaced a structural member with the new Towbar so you may have to replace the original part, mine was a different make though. Fitted by Phil Taylor Towbar, mentioned on here before.

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I had my Towbar fitted they replaced a structural member with the new Towbar so you may have to replace the original part, mine was a different make though. Fitted by Phil Taylor Towbar, mentioned on here before.
Yes, the part removed is the bolt on aluminium crash bar. This will apply whichever make of tow bar is fitted.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
The above have covered most things, there is also a fitting guide for the towbar and electrics in the Yetipedia which still works after the forum change.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
I've still got the "crash bar" that was removed when my tow bar was fitted, and anyone is welcome to it.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Just a thought, the dedicated wiring kit goes all the way to the fuse box. So rather than remove all the trim and possibly carpet it might be worth paying £130-£150 for a new dedicated loom.
in addition it also removes the risk of breaking any trim clips and replacement costs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My crash bar was given back to me when the towbar was installed. The Witter kit came with a storage bag for it and labeled up to handover to the next owner. The fitters told me they will remove bars to refit another compatible vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts