Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
As a general rule if you check on the web site of each specific make of tow bar by manufacturers name there will be a check list to include whether or not the panel has to be cut. The Westfalia which is Skoda approved, and the Witter, should you want a flange fit certainly require cutting. Skoda have the pull out panel as a part.
The main issue with tow bar is when the correct coded Skoda electrics are not fitted and/or not coded correctly with the can bus, that causes a lot of comment on this and the other site, and just gives the dealer the excuse to opt out of electrical warranty issues!Edited by: Cornishman53

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
scouserchris said:
hi, can anyone please tell me if you can geta tow bar to fitwithout cutting the bumper.many thanks chris.
No.
To fit a tow bar the internal strengthening bar, inside the plastic bumper is removed, and replaced by a different bar that includes the tow ball mountings.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Picture of ours, not very good but I just happened to be walking past...

Edited by: Epicyclic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
I've ordered a detachable tow bar as an accessory and wondered what the process involved too, in terms of cutting a hole in the bumper. I found a good short video on YouTube which explains well.
I typed in to my search engine

Tow bar video, Skoda Yeti Westfalia Detachable

Amongst other things you are presented with a video from a company in Stockport that explains the process

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks Chris, good link!

Ours came with the car (ex-Skoda fleet) and isn't a quickly detachable type but is a Westfalia one. I guess the parts that are fixed to the car are common and there is a budget fixed type ball part, as ours, or the removable type as shown in the video. Might enquire on the cost of a QD type as we don't use the towbar that often.

We didn't get the silver cover with the car, it's interesting to see that its something that can be purchased from Skoda.

Edit: Just looked at the Wesfalia website and it looks like the tow ball fixings are different so ours will stay as it is!

Edited by: Epicyclic

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do a DIY installation job, make sure you have the car electrics installed correctly and modified accordingly. The computer needs to be programmed to be trailer friendly. It alters ABS and Electronic Brake Distribution parameters as well as linking a connected trailer to the alarm and disabling the reversing sensors.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi Epilyclic,I've just had a tow bar fitted by GT Towing of Hatfield. They cut a nice clean hole in the bumper.
Mine looks exactly the same as yours, I did want a fixed bar partly to stop other drivers using my bumper to park.
I was given the choice of coding the electrics or not, I chose the coding. Charged more but worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
If you do not code for the trailer then your car will be illegal as there will be no indicator light failure system in the car, which is required by law.It also will affect the indicator flash rate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Detachable Westfalia

I had a towbar fitted 6 months ago by Northwest Towbars of Stockport exactly as shown in their Youtube video. It cost £560 including the cover panel electrics etc. I can confirm that everything works well and when detached the car looks as if no towbar is fitted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts