Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, can anyone tell me what yeti has the best towing capacity and what is that capacity.I am about to part with my trusty Freelander and buy a yeti. if the most powerful yeti is not capable of pulling the caravan then I will consider buying a smaller engined version and I would part with the caravan
best regards to all,G

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think off the top of my head, the 140 is1800kg max,1704x4 is 2000kg,

Aquote from another forums member "I tow a 1000kg caravan with a 110bhp 2wd Yeti SE with no problems"

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
828 Posts
I tow a Bailey Orion 430/4, weighing in at upwards of 1300kg with no problem, and am shortly heading off to the french alps. My version is 2.0ltr 140 bhp 4x4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Llanigraham said:
140 and 170 are both 2000kg max.
Unladen weight is 1450kg.
Your caravan at 1400kg is over the advised 85% limit:
http://www.whattowcar.com/review.php?typeauto=38&merk_x=Skoda&serie=Yeti

according to my v5 mass in service is 1555kg 85% is 1321kg, but it's not the law you can tow 2000kg. I tow a lunar 524 with upgraded plate 1400kg. If in doubt load the car not the van. Remember the 1400 includes payload soput the pay load in the car not the van. I always put my luggage food and bedding in the car. I had my van weighed at a public weigh bridge it came out at 1345kg so nearly 50kg under the plated 1400kg.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
The important "numbers" can be found on the plate at the bottom of the drivers B post. Those are the official Skoda tested C & U figures. Those are the ones the Police and VOSA work on for prosecution.
Legally certain Yeti's can pull 2 tonne, but are subject to severe restrictions.
Remember that not all countries have the same legalities as us over towing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Caravanning

I have the 110 S version Yeti, being cautious I bought a Lunar Quasar 462 MTPLM 1198 Yeti pulls it easily. I am thinking about upgrading to a Quasar 544 with a fixed bed MTPLM 1340 any experienced towers comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
What do the figures state on the B plate sticker?

You might find this site useful:
http://www.whattowcar.com/

Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are legal, but caravan is 94% of the weight of the car so a bit on the heavy side. does the van have any stability control? also it would help if you load the car a bit more rather than load the van. ie put your food and other bits in the car rather than in the van. I tow a Lunar 524 but with the 140 bhp L&K and it's fine, but I again always put everything in the car rather than the van.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The max allowed towing weight on my Reg Doc is 1800kg the caravan club website said I would struggle a bit towing 1200kg but in fact the 110bhp Yeti copes very well with that weight so was wondering if anyone had regularly towed anything heavier with that engine.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
2070kg = kerb weight of car
3870kg = maximum gross train weight
1090kg = front axle max loading
1020kg = rear axle max loading

Therefore 3870kg - 2070kg = 1800kg as the max weight that you can tow.

Recommendation from the caravan clubs is that you should not exceed 85% of the kerb weight, which is roughly 1760kg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wuld agree that Phil Taylor are well thought of, with good reason. I had a prevous car (Focus) fitted with a tow-bar by them, and were impressed.
Unfortunately, Horndean in Hampshire is a bit far away from Glasgow just to get a tow-bar fitted........ Anyone able to recommend anywhere in Glasgow who is good and can fit both the tow-bar and electrics properly?

On another subject, I'm thinking of having a tow-bar fitted for a caravan me & SWMBO to use, so have I understood these numbers correctly: 2075, 4075, 1090, 1030. If I've got this right in my head, I can pull 2000kg legally. But this 85% recommendation, would I be right in thinking in my case I would sensibly be able to pull 1764kg?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts