Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Lunar Ariva (mtplm 980kg) serviced at home this morning and afterwards took it out for the first time with my new Yeti. I covered 17 miles over a mix of B fenland
roads and the A47. According to the Yeti's Maxidot I
obtained an average MPG of 25.6 at an average speed of 29 MPH over a
period of 36 minutes. On the A47 I did achieve 50 MPH for some time and
did reach 7th gear (top) though I probably spent more time in 6th
overall. The Yeti did not appear to have any problem towing my Ariva
though the land around here is totally flat so I have not had the chance
to tow uphill as yet. The caravan was also unloaded other than for the
spare tyre and a gas cylinder.
As things stand I was very happy with
its towing performance and pleased with the MPG obtained though as my
Yeti has only done 2004 miles I hope I might get closer to 30 MPG as the
engine beds in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats pretty incredible from a 1.2 petrol, it has to be said. I've never tried towing with my Yeti, instead I dig my Audi A4 out of the garage. Thats a 2.0 TDI and I dont get close to 25mpg when I'm towing!!

Did it pull ok? I wouldn't have thought the Yeti would have enough power?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The basic answer is yes it pulled my Ariva without any problem at all. Admittedly neither the Yeti or Caravan where loaded and as I live in the Fens no uphill towing was involved but I had no problem accelerating to 50 mph on the A47 and reaching 7th gear on the DSG box. I previously towed this caravan with an Octavia 1.9 TDI DSG and purely based on my short test tow on Tuesday I could not tell the difference between the two. I have booked my first trip of the season in early April driving down to Huntingdon and another trip a little later to Newbury in Berkshire. After these trips with the car and caravan fully loaded and having then experienced some hills I will post an update. But as the 1.2tsi Yeti has a towing limit of 1200kg and my caravan weights in at less then 1000kg I don't really envisage any problems.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good towing review which is appreciated.When I first started caravanning I had an old VW Jetta 1.5 which had 75 bhp and not much more torque. It pulled an old super sprite musketeer very well all over the country loaded up and with 2 adults & 2 children.
Happy caravanning

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there, I have recently towed for the first time with my fabulous Yeti but need info on what type of towing mirrors fit as I have tried a few makes and none have been secure enough to buy, problems with the lip around the mirrors being not very wide, any ideas please.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If it starts to slow a bit on the hills you could also slip it into Sport mode or even manual (tiptronic) selection. Wouldn't Sport mode also keep it more controllable when going down the other side?

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stargazer, I use a Milenco Grand Aero, admittedly they are not easy to adjust at first but if you move the clamps fairly close together and ensure the Yeti mirrors are adjusted as low as possible this creates a large enough gap to slide the clamps in. As long as the clamps are tightened sufficiently they appear to be fairly stable.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update on this subject. Last week I took my caravan down to the Houghton Mill Caravan Club site for a couple of nights. This is only about 30 miles from my home and was largely reached via the single carriageway A141. I managed to maintain 50 mph for major parts of the journey in both directions and according to the maxidot achieved an average of 25 miles to the gallon. Admittedly still no real hills on this route but later in the month I will be taking the caravan down to Newbury in Berkshire which will enable me to get a better idea of how well the 1.2 TSI tows in more general conditions and I will provide a further update then. I must say I am presently very happy with how it has coped to date and have had no problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Empcom,
Look forward to your comments, what size caravan are you towing, by the way we tried our towing mirrors as you suggested and you were spot on, saved me time and money searching. Thank you.
We are off to Higher Bentham near Ingleton with our van on Sunday.
Happy Caravanning

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's interesting this power weight towing thing!I recently came across a book of Autocar road tests dated 1961 (when I was a lad!).
Virtually none of the cars in the book developed anywhere near 105 bhp!
So I reckon based on 1961 calculations your little 1.2 should pull anything!
Well at a speed. Food for thought.
John

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very impressive.The daughter was in a Seat dealers the other day and the salesman was telling her the 1.2 tsi replaced the old 1.6 engine & has more power. Same engine as in the yeti. Surprising how much power can be obtained from a smaller engine these days,

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stargazer, you obviously did not see my first post on this subject. I tow a lightweight Lunar Ariva with an mtplm of 980kg.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another update on this thread. I have just returned from my first major towing trip (6 nights ! ). Travelled from North Cambridgeshire to Berkshire/Hampshire border near Newbury via A605, A43,M40 and A34. I averaged something in the region of 50 mph towing my Lunar Ariva (mtplm 980kg) and a well loaded Yeti with two adults. This was a trip of about 160 miles and I achieved an average of 23.6 miles per gallon according to the maxidot. I moved on to the Caravan Club site at Longleat for a couple of nights but did not record the average for the Berkshire Wiltshire trip. I returned from Longleat via A303, M3,M25,M1,A421 and A1 ( with surprisingly no problems on the M25 !!). This journey was about 200 miles with a slightly heavier car after shopping trips to Costco and Makro in Reading. According to the maxidot I achieved 23.8 miles to the gallon for the return trip.During the return journey at an average of about 55 mph, the Yeti went through its 4000th mile so I suppose its early days yet and the engine may yet settle down some more and give me a better return. I encountered my first hills on this trip and whilst the DSG box did change down to 2nd gear on occasion I was still pleased with how well the 1.2 engine performed .

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for your report. While I will not be towing with ours (when we get it) it's nice to read that the 1.2 has some capabilities. I leave my 2.4 V6 A4 for towing and that is only a trailer....albeit an all steel Ifor Williams.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pleased the car performed well, sounds lime the 1.2 is a cracking engine.My van's unladen weight is 1091kgs with a pay load of 200.
I think I'm going to have to look at a diesel to be on the safe side.
Cheers for the update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts