Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a lot of posts dealing with towbars but this is slightly different.
I picked up my new (used) caravan yesterday. When reversing the parking indicator beeped. This is not a big problem but I thought the software update stopped this.
We checked all the lights and started off. There was a bulb failure light on the display. We checked the lights again and all was OK.
When we got home I found that there should have been an indicator for the appropriate bulb. When the caravan was disconnected the light went out.
Questions:
1) Am I right in assuming the software update disconnects the reverse indicator?
2) If so, what else am I missing?
3) The caravan has the old 12N & 12S fittings, connected to a cable to convert to the single plug for the car Could this be the cause of the bulb failure indicator? Edited by: mfdaustrey

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
1/ The software up-date should have turned the rear sensors off when the electrics are plugged in.

2/ Who knows? Do the rear fog lights come on when it's plugged in?

3/ My van has 12N and 12S plugged into a 13 pin converter then into the car and everything works correctly. No bulb failure lights except if one has popped!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The coding for the towbar should disable the rear sensors

That's assuming your coding was completed properly? My Westfalia was coded by my Skoda Dealer (although the towbar & loom was fitted by a third party fitter).

The Westfalia came with complete instructions for the coder to follow.

I notices a false bulb out indicator when I first put my trailer together - I had some wires crossed which cause an off effect but was easily solved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had mine fitted by the Skoda dealer on Leicester to avoid problems like this. Obviously it did not work. I'll get then to check the wiring when they have another go at programming it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My towbar (westfalia) was fitted by my dealer before I took delivery of the car and has worked as faultlessly as the rest of the car. So far France, Belgium, Germany, Scottish borders, Cornwall and places inbetween. In my case both car and 'van have 13 pin electrics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Westfalia detachable tow bar/ball fitted and so far have not encountered any electricalissues. One thing I did notice was that when towing the engine gets really hot9and I mean HOT)but the temp guage never goes above 90 degrees (pointing straight up). This is the normal operating temp but as I say the heat even transferred to the outside wings of the car. There was also a strange smell initially but I think this was due to overfilling the coolant resulting in the excess evaporating via through the valve on top of the expansion chamber. It seems to be okay now the level has dropped.

·
Administrator
13,116 Posts
Hi, the dial reading 90 is the oil temperature rather than water, also the smell could be the DPF regenerating. When it is regenerating there is a strange smell and the tick over rises to 900 rpm, if you switch off during a regen the cooling fans will continue to run. I have not noticed any heat transfer to my front wings (20,000 miles covered so far).

·
Registered
159 Posts
No, the dial reading 90 is the coolant temperature guage and it will always read 90 between about 70 and 110 so as not to cause undue worry. If it moves... worry!

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter. Every now and then it has to do a "clean" and it does this by increasing the revs and temperature.
Look it up in the Handbook.

·
Administrator
13,116 Posts
The Hood said:
Hi, the dial reading 90 is the oil temperature rather than water, also the smell could be the DPF regenerating. When it is regenerating there is a strange smell and the tick over rises to 900 rpm, if you switch off during a regen the cooling fans will continue to run. I have not noticed any heat transfer to my front wings (20,000 miles covered so far).
As spotted by Freedie the lower left dial is the water temperature, the oil temperature is on the Maxidot between time travelled, and average speed. That'll teach me to answer threads whilst eating breakfast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts