Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 602 mile round trip, most of it in pooring rain. Thought this would be ideal time to do an Mpg test, so I filled up and off I went. On major roads I set the CC to 55 and let it take control, on the duals and motorways to 65 because visibility was not that great.
There were 2 of us in the car with 6 crates of goods and a winter steel wheel as a spare, so I suppose it would equate to 4 people overall so I put up the TP's to the recommended max of 2.5 (Greenline).
When I got back late that day I filled up again, overall for the journey it took a tad under 47 litres which worked out at 58.7 MPG, the maxidot gave it as 60.2 so not too far apart, probably accounting for speedo error.
My overall MPG, according to maxidot for the past 1400 miles is 56.2, so again accounting for speedo error its more like 53, so at the end of the day, I am pleased

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arceye said:
Have a 170 tdi yeti set cc to 56mph on motorway and get 51 mph which is good
Is that a true figure or taken from the maxidot, remember the speedo at that speed can be reading approx 3 MPH over, so deduct 3 MPG for every hour you run to get a more realistic figure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Now my 170Tdi Yeti has nearly 8000 miles on the clock it shows around 52mpg average going to and from work, which according to my calculations is 47mpg in real world terms. So it's aprox 10% over estimating.

Still I think 47mpg is very good for a 170ps 4x4. And I don't drive slowly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BossFox said:
Still I think 47mpg is very good for a 170ps 4x4. And I don't drive slowly.
Yes I found that my Greenline does a better MPG at the peak of the torque band (2200RPM), I found that at 40 it's better to stay in 4th rather than change up to 5th as indicated by the maxidot.

Last week I was given a used diesel tuning chip box from a VW golf 1.6 Bluemotion, I have sent an email to the manufacturer to see if it's compatible, worth a try for FREE.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow on from previous post.
I received a cable and instructions on fitting and tuning the box, so off I went. I finally set the box as high as I could without causing detenation
knock at low revs and what a difference it made. I first drove the car
for MPG and on three seperate trips including one to town, this is the maxidot readings.
Trip one, 68.3
Trip two, 71.1
Trip three, 72.8
So then I drove for performance, I didn't go for top speed.
I pulled away, It felt the same until it hit the 1800 Rpm, then it just took off. I changed up a gear at 3500 Rpm keeping it smooth, it just kept on accelerating.
According to the makers guide, I set the box to give an increase from 107 Bhp to 130 Bhp, and from 250 Nm to 310 Nm
This morning the maxidot shows an overall average since fitting the box of 64.2, so not only am I getting more miles per gallon, but a bit more "ooooomf" as well.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
If this were anyone else I would be mentioning things like insurance companies and mods, and also with a30% increase in powerwhat have you done to improve the brakes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brakes are OK, the rotors are the same size as those fitted to higher powered models, plus I do not normally drive faster than the speed limits. My main reason is to increase milage rather than decreasing the 0-60 performance times, I find it holds a higher gear at lower speeds without labouring.
With regards to insurance, I made inquiries and as I have not had an accident in over 25 years and also hold VOSA qualifications, and, explained the mod totally there would be no increase if I were to go ahead, but I must inform them in writing detailing the mod.
They also said they do not charge anyone extra for up to a 25% increase using chip boxes because they are not pemanent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MPG
Got to agree with bass fox on mpg about the same as my 170 and like him i do not drive slowly.
I think all the TDI engines are the same but mapped to give different outputs also brake systems should be the same over the range,
The info on insurance etc from tech yeti is good to know when you want to chip the engine

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The 170 has a different turbo, the 110 has smaller front discs.
I can't remember the size of the discs on the 140 but the 140 and 110 have the same turbo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wakev said:
The 170 has a different turbo, the 110 has smaller front discs.
I can't remember the size of the discs on the 140 but the 140 and 110 have the same turbo.
All the Yeti model specs are here, just click on the model:
http://www.carinf.com/en/9a402452.html

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
What a brilliant website! It also covers my wife's Fix Or Repair Daily Fusion, although my previous car a Mazda Premacy is not there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
May be interesting to some.

I have tracked MPG from new ~10,000 miles or so on my 170 Yeti Elegance.Mainly, motorway I have to say.

This is a comparison between Maxidot reading and fill to fill value. the average MPH per fill is ~40 I'll plot that against something later! But I don't think I have found much of a trend. 95% of time ESSO pumps. I also havecalibrated speedo against Sat nav not keen to see what that tells me typically speedo is 3mph shy of sat nav (US couple of weeks ago and their speedos were spot on against same Garmin)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts