Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just saw an interesting YouTube clip in which cyclone Cid used Wynn's turbo cleaner on a TSI engine. Sounds as if it may do some good and relatively easy to do. Has anyone had experience of using this and did it make a difference? In essence is it worth doing on a 55000 engine.

Here is the clip;

Regards

AJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've looked at this vid twice now and I am thinking of giving it a go. The only reservation I have is what happens to the 'foam' after it has done it's job? Is it really just a question of 'spray it in, twiddle the turbo shaft, reconnect hoses and start up the engine'? Surely that means the 'foam, now laden with oily gunky stuff' is sucked into the engine. I know it's a very brief action but I no likey.

Ideas/thoughts anyone?

L.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
Surely that means the 'foam, now laden with oily gunky stuff' is sucked into the engine. I know it's a very brief action but I no likey.
Yes! Remember though that the engine sucks in oily gunky stuff every single day/mile travelled. Via the crankcase breather system, as explained in the vid. Where oily gases get drawn into the intake system, to be reburned during combustion. Some of the oily components in those condense in the cooler intake parts, such as the trunking between intercooler and manifold. Creating an oily gunky mess all of their own. Nothing new there. Running this turbo cleaner through just adds marginally and briefly to what is already happening. Followed by a prolonged period of cleaner running.

That’s the theory anyway. Never used this product myself. Diesels are more prone to the exhaust side of the turbo getting clogged with soot. Sometimes to the point where the variable vanes in the stator section don’t have their full movement any more. Which harms boost at lower turbo speeds. Keeping the exhaust side clean is one of the several reasons I’ve used Archoil 6900 D-max for several years now. The results of that speak for themselves, the last four MoT test exhaust soot measurements on my 2010 Yeti have read 0.00, 0.01, 0.00 and 0.00 (last week). Against an MoT “pass” threshold (maximum) of 0.30. That’s on a car with 247,000 miles through its engine.

Reactions: The Hood

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
I had a look at all three of his videos, with those solvents I would be inclined to wear at least one glove so the hand holding the part doesn't get covered and whenever possible I would take it away from the engine bay before spraying.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks again chaps. My previous vehicle was a Nissan Elgrand E51 3.5 ltr petrol (LPG) and I fitted an oil catch can because I didn't like the idea of sucking gunky mayo through a sophisticated engine like that. I remember the old Moggy Minors etc and that very unsophisticated oil filler/breather cap.

The Elgrand had to go due to circumstances beyond my control ie my health circumstances and my wife who is beyond my control.

L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts