Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years 30,000miles, with a Diesel 110 manual at 45mpg have decided to change to 1.2 DSG as will not be doing many long distances, buying a 6month old 1.2 Elegance any one with similar experience? ps Just found this forum - usually wave at fellowYeti drivers!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Robinbt, good luck with the new car.
I can't offer any advise at present, but someone on this forum will have experienced a similar situation and will offer advise I'm sure.
Welcome to the forum.
Rob.

·
Administrator
14,842 Posts
As above I can't help you with the fuel consumption, but welcome to the forum. Nice to know there are others who wave. Good luck with your new car, it must be the closest thing to changing to a new car without changing (hope that makes sense).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Robinbt'
I've gone the other way TSI to TDI as I wanted the option of greater mpg and additional torque.
Both cars are super and perform well. If you are having a manual version you'll have one more gear to content with. You'll also notice that the engine not only is quieter but warms up CONSIDERABLY quicker with the TSI which is a massive advantage.
Shanco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, very helpful. I am going for the DSG as think will help for town driving, expect I will miss the tongue as been a diesel man for over 30 years but concerned about the DPF filter.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had an Octavia TDI DSG for 5 years but 6 weeks ago switched to a Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG. At the moment I can't say I have really noticed the difference other than MPG. I am still running in the Yeti so have not pushed it as yet but acceleration appears on a par with my Octavia. The Yeti is averaging 38 miles to the gallon at the moment whereas I often obtained well over 50 mpg with my Diesel. However around here Diesel can be 10 or 11 pence more per Litre than Unleaded and if I can get my Yeti to produce over 40 mpg once run in I will be more than happy.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi Robinbt. I am in a similar situation to you...not many big trips. The little 1.2 can be reasonably economical if driven properly but certainly becomes unforgiving if you start to push it along. You certainly won't get the same low consumption that you are used to getting in your previous vehicle from the little 1.2 petrol motor but that's to be expected. We tend to use S mode around town and that is a good compromise for us between useful power and fuel consumption.
Figures for us are on average:
Country/highway/motorway driving: 6.2L/100km (45mpg) at about 100-110 kmh.
Around town: 7.9L/100km (36mpg)

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi plbxr

very helpful comments thank you. Can you explain the 'VCDS adjustments'? please

Are your miles the same as ours, as the USA ones are shorter?

regards

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Robinbt said:
Hi plbxr very helpful comments thank you. Can you explain the 'VCDS adjustments'? please. Are your miles the same as ours, as the USA ones are shorter?
Hi Robinbt, yes, we used to use the same units because Australians were "invented" by the British...
(I couldn't resist saying that), but we have been metric since 1975 hence the L/100km figures.
The VCDS adjustments are:
Needle sweep/Gauge Cluster Staging activated.
When you turn your ignition to on, the gauges will "Sweep" to max, and then fall back to zero. No functional purpose but looks good.
Emergency brake light flashing activated.
If you brake hard enough, this will automatically flash your brake lights until you let off the brake pedal and/or turn hazard lights on automatically.
Auto On/Off Headlights w/o Auto Switch
This will make your headlights go on/off with your ignition if they are in the ON position.( I'm not sure if I will keep this one)
Comfort Turn Signal Count Reset.
When you tap your blinker it will auto blink 3 times by default, this changes the count to between 1-5. I reset it to 4.
Coming Home Lights activated.
This will turn on your lights for a set period of time after you get out of the car. After this is enabled, it can be turned on/off in the MFA, and you can adjust the time period.
Enable Tear Drop Wiping on Front Wiper.
This will wipe your front window one extra time, after a pause, when you use your front window washer squirter.
Enable Tear Drop Wiping on Rear Wiper.
Same as front but on the rear wiper.
Mirror and Rear Window Heaters: Extend the Active Time
Mirror and Rear window heaters run for 10 minutes by default, you can extend that as long as you want.

VCDS can't be used to make any performance changes to the engine or gearbox ECU's. However it can monitor/log a lot of these parameters and present them in a graph format or file.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
14,842 Posts
If you buy the Elegance you get the coming home leaving home lights anyway,

I've made a couple of changes that plxbr did not list, I changed the coming home/leaving home lights from the Xenons to the fogs, and I have also upped the brake boost from medium to high which made quite an improvement.

With lane change, I that changed back again as it was a nuisance if you knock the stalk by mistake, the needle staging was also reversed as it did not appeal. I also changed the Maxidot from KPH to mph and back againas the larger digits "lost"a row from the display

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The Hood said:
With lane change, I that changed back again as it was a nuisance if you knock the stalk by mistake
Yes, agreed, it can be a bl**dy nuisance at times so now I tend to disable this function completely in the MFD when driving around town and only activate it when going on trips away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
To add more input on this post.

Collected my mother for Christmas and returned her today, have lost the figures for the first journey however the trip today gave the following taken off the Maxi Dot on our TDI 140 4x4 DSG.

Journey out:

Travel Time 1 hour 13 mins
Average consumption 50.5
Distance 52 miles
Average speed 43 mph

Journey back:

Travel Time 1 hour 10 mins
Average consumption 43.1
Distance 52
Average speed 45 mph

Journey was same out as back using variety of duel carriage way, A main and B minor roads and utilising cruise control when feasible.

Clearly driving style will have a significant impact however the one clear difference today was the weather which although remaining the same for the journey there was a strong southwesterly and this would have contributed to the fuel consumption.

Not having pen and paper for the Christmas Eve journey to collect said relative the only figure I can recall for the trip back was 48.1 for the average fuel consumption.

As already discussed in various forum posts there is a host of variables which will affect what fuel consumption is returned however when taking everything into consideration if we return mid 40's cumulative consumption on an automatic this will be a considerable improvement on our previous stead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I honestly have had nothing but dpf issues with cars last year

I did have a Yeti Tdi model that did have engine management issues which I am sure now was the dpf
I am thinking of going for a petrol Yeti, but a little unsure after the last Yeti I hads issues

·
Administrator
14,842 Posts
VCDS uses a lead that plugs into the vehicle management system along with software which scansit logging faults (or the absence of) and is also capable of "switching on or off" various functions that are available. These include things such as increasing the brake boost, changing which lights perform certain functions, mirror heater duration. VCDS can also change items displayed on the Maxidot etc.

Here is a link to a demo on the Ross-tech site.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to say have had the Yeti for three weeks and am very pleased with the TSI 1.2 & the 7speed DSG, can't notice any loss of power from my old TDI - Excellent Little thirstier though.

One oddity, I switch off with the Radio on but when I start the Media always starts up and I have to push radio every time - any suggestions? I have the Columbus SatNav system

1 - 16 of 16 Posts