Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,

i've recently became owner of a lovely yeti 2012 2.0 tdi 110

i have almost nonstop egr fault however..

i am thinking about two solutions:

1)
to block egr mechanically and to put adequate map (no egr) into the ecu

2)
to block egr and to remove dpf mechanically, and to put adequate map (no egr, no dpf) into the ecu

have any of you experience with this?
any recommendation?

thanks for your interest
vlad

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
I briefly tried putting a restrictor plate in the EGR delivery pipe between the cylinder head and the inlet manifold. (By inserting a plate with a 50% diameter hole between the exit from the cooling tunnel in the cylinder head and the delivery pipe). Just to see what would happen. Result: within a few miles of running an EGR fault light appeared. So after three days I removed the restrictor plate again. EGR fault went away. The experience did convince me though, that it is key to smooth operation to keep the EGR system as a whole, clear of soot deposits. Those restrict gas flow and valve operation.

Since taking up a cleaning regime on those components (EGR valve, EGR delivery pipe, Throttle Valve Body), around 4-5 years ago, the Yeti has had no system errors. (Hoping I’m not tempting fate by saying that in public?). My regime consists of regular use or Archoil 6400 or 6900 fuel additives to help keep the valve clear of soot. Plus annual or bi-annual (two-year) removal and internal clean of the delivery pipe and Throttle Body.

As The Hood says. Removal of the DPF itself (and deletion of its operation from the ECU mapping) would be / is illegal in the UK. That can be detected at the annual road worthiness test and a heavy fine imposed. Even up to impounding of the vehicle. Why not just get the Android smartphone app “VAG DPF” to monitor the actual DPF health and give it the kind of running that enables the soot to get burned off during the DPF regeneration cycles?

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
The OP is not in the UK and so may be able to remove the egr without upsetting the authorities.

You mentioned a cleaning regime for the egr, does that mean Archoil, or is there a Yetipedia article in the offing? (HeHe).

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Yup - spotted the OP appears to be in Serbia? Unless spoofing a web address that causes a similar looking flag to appear? Hence the emphasis that DPF removal is illegal in UK. Therefore not to expect many UK owners who would have experience of its removal on a .uk owners site.

Correct interpretation - the EGR valve keeping clean on our Yeti is currently restricted to a combination of the Archoil plus keeping the downstream EGR components clear by mechanical cleaning. (That is already documented). On the theory that doing so helps maintain strong gas flow through the valve, which in turn helps keep it clear of deposits. The combination seems to have worked for 6 years now...🤞

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Do taxi companies 'modify' their DPF's? They park with the engines running until a fare arrives and often travel short distances around town. Just asking!

·
Registered
364 Posts
'the EGR valve keeping clean on our Yeti is currently restricted to a combination of the Archoil plus keeping the downstream EGR components clear by mechanical cleaning. (That is already documented).'

Is the mechanical cleaning process on the forum, please - maybe in Yetipedia? Just because I've never had a problem doesn't mean I never will! :)

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Is the mechanical cleaning process on the forum, please - maybe in Yetipedia? Just because I've never had a problem doesn't mean I never will

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Urrell just beat me to it! Again! In the time it took for me to swap from using the iPad to the laptop, from where I could copy and paste more easily. No complaints mind! Just how many times before have I said that?

Same guide can be found at Yetipedia item #60

Others have reported being able to follow this guide, so perhaps it isn’t quite so badly written as I had thought?

Reactions: Pidgeonpost

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
Here is a link to the printable PDF that should have been attached to the Yetipedia post above. Another little twist from the last forum update along with it having shrunk the size of the photo's.

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Do taxi companies 'modify' their DPF's? They park with the engines running until a fare arrives and often travel short distances around town. Just asking!
Perhaps the purpose of keeping the engine running is to keep the exhaust gas temperature at a moderate level, so by keeping the DPF at a similar temp. Around 250-300 degrees C. Therefore better positioned for a regen to be successfully initiated on a more modest journey length than otherwise required? 5-600 degrees needed for regen to be effective.

Same reason why stop/start systems have been proven to actually increase atmospheric pollutant emissions in typical urban driving patterns. On both diesel and petrol powered cars. By preventing the exhaust catalysts from ever reaching the temperatures they require to actually work. Stop/start means the cats are forever below their “light off” temperature. Therefore allow more pollutants to be emitted during perpetual cold running, than are created by keeping the engine running during the stops.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks gents. I did this job on our BMW E60 when I did the job of removing and blanking off the swirl flaps as they had a reputation for detaching themselves and dropping into the combustion chamber. Stripped it all down only to find that the manifold was a no-flap manifold. Egr valve was pretty coked up though.

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Ah Ha! You are not the only one to be caught out by the well publicised BMW swirl flaps that proved to not be fitted in the first place. Was your E60 a manual box version perchance? I actually got as far as buying a set of blanking plates for my first 330d. To then discover my straight 6 didn’t have the self-destructing intake flaps anyway. As they were fitted only to auto-box cars, hence much more common. Very few manual 6s around. So the recommendations to remove the flaps before they were ingested into the cylinders didn’t allow for the fact a few engines never had them. Something that made it slightly harder to find a correct used inlet manifold, when mine split itself along the join seam while under maximum boost.

At least the EGR valves are much more accessible though. Right at top front of the engine. Just under the plastic top cover that has to be removed to replace the air filter....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello everybody, and thanks for interest.

in my country it is [still] legal to mess with this..

since dpf is not so accessible, i now think to leave it as it is, but to block egr, and delete it using the software.

i just do not know however - how dpf would react if there is no egr in the system..

vlad

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have had the egr delete software applied to my Yeti, this has not affected the DPF at all.

Reactions: vlnikolic

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ah Ha! You are not the only one to be caught out by the well publicised BMW swirl flaps that proved to not be fitted in the first place. Was your E60 a manual box version perchance? I actually got as far as buying a set of blanking plates for my first 330d. To then discover my straight 6 didn’t have the self-destructing intake flaps anyway. As they were fitted only to auto-box cars, hence much more common. Very few manual 6s around. So the recommendations to remove the flaps before they were ingested into the cylinders didn’t allow for the fact a few engines never had them. Something that made it slightly harder to find a correct used inlet manifold, when mine split itself along the join seam while under maximum boost.

At least the EGR valves are much more accessible though. Right at top front of the engine. Just under the plastic top cover that has to be removed to replace the air filter....
Yes, after much reading I bit the bullet and decided to do the job 'just in case'. In some cases where flaps are removed the rod that activates the flaps is removed, in others it may be left in place. My car was a 2007, an early LCI 525d auto.
There's no way of telling which size blanking plates are required beforehand so it's usual to order both sizes on the understanding that the unused ones can be returned. I was a bit nervous about doing the job, as there's quite a bit of dismantling of ancillary stuff but it's a nice engine to work on. Must admit I miss the sound of the straight six!

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Must admit I miss the sound of the straight six!
The sound, the smooth running, the effortless torque, the sheer grunt and performance, the long distance mile munching ability that all gives to the car that the 6 sits in. (Very much a shoehorn job on the 3-series, with 2/3 of the motor being behind the front axle line and the rearmost 1/3 buried under the scuttle and windscreen. Which is what enables it to retain the near 50/50 weight distribution and handling benefits on the twisty bits.)

Mine will be for sale next spring - when I’ve finished fettling it up to full standard, with a Wheeler Dealers style list of jobs needing attention.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The sound, the smooth running, the effortless torque, the sheer grunt and performance, the long distance mile munching ability that all gives to the car that the 6 sits in. (Very much a shoehorn job on the 3-series, with 2/3 of the motor being behind the front axle line and the rearmost 1/3 buried under the scuttle and windscreen. Which is what enables it to retain the near 50/50 weight distribution and handling benefits on the twisty bits.

Mine will be for sale next spring - when I’ve finished fettling it up to full standard, with a Wheeler Dealers style list of jobs needing attention.
I don't want to get into pirating the topic, so can I drop you a message please?

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 4X4 CFH/138
12 Posts
Here is a link to the printable PDF that should have been attached to the Yetipedia post above. Another little twist from the last forum update along with it having shrunk the size of the photo's.

That is absolutely superb. Original post by "Flintstone" is crystal clear so even a non techie like me can follow it and then to transfer into PDF format is "as good as it gets" so many thanks to "The Hood" as well. You Guys Rock! 🤙

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
I don't want to get into pirating the topic, so can I drop you a message please?
I’ve initiated a “conversation”. Or Private Message in old-speak.
Are you OK with accessing and replying in those?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts