Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Yeti has a Tyre pressure monitor fitted
As I understand it, when I set the tyre pressure I push that button and then it will give me a warning when the air pressure drops letting me know I need to put more air in the tyres.
I do that but nothing happens, I mean it never gives me any kind of warning but I do notice the tyre pressures go dow.
Is it simply malfunctioning or am I not doing something I should be ?

·
Registered
887 Posts
You need to press the button until it beeps. The system does not measure tyre pressures directly. It uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to compare the rotation speed of the wheels. If a wheel is outside some tolerance of rotation speed compared to the others, it infers a pressure drop and prompts an alert.
If all the tyre pressures change together, as they will due to temperature change, then no difference in rotation speed will be detected and no alert will be given.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
209 Posts
The tyre pressure system works by the ABS sensors comparing the rotational speed of each wheel. If one tyre starts going flat the rotational speed will change compared to the others and the TPS alarms. If all the tyres lose their pressure a small amount, there won’t be a change, so no alarm. I wouldn‘t expect it to work for a small change in pressure though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry Bryetian, we must have been replying at the same time, but you beat me to it. 😀

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sorry Bryetian, we must have been replying at the same time, but you beat me to it. 😀
No problem Trilux; at least we siad the same thing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
As I understand it, when I set the tyre pressure I push that button and then it will give me a warning when the air pressure drops letting me know I need to put more air in the tyres.
It is not for that.
It warns you there may be a pressure loss, the tyre pressures should be checked regularly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine doesn't alarm until around 0.8 bar drop in pressure, so it's best to keep a regular check on pressures. It will work to indicate a reasonable fast puncher, so best used as a backup to regular checking.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I have had an issue where one side of the car is in morning sun, and the other side still closed, and get an alram due to temperature diffferential altering the pressure.

If I get an alarm when driving which has happened a couple of times, I press and hold the button to reset without stopping. If the alarm goes off again quickly I know I have a bad puncure and stop. Alternately a long gap means a slow puncture and i have topped the tire with the pump to get me to somewhere to get the tire fixed. If it doesn't go off again before I get home, I recheck the tire presures once cold.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
The TPM went off on my Karoq a few weeks back and I got out and had a look and all seemed fine. (turned out I'd picked up a panel pin
I have had so many false negatives with the Yeti that I ignored it. Then a couple of days later the car started banging and crashing. Got out. Long story short £185 bill !
This is one problem with power steering. Without pas, one is very aware that you have a flat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts