Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
4,560 Posts
The theory: The national flag is determined by the IP address and Ken works for a company based in Germany or uses a VPN terminated in Germany so flag depends on whether he last viewed the forum from home or via a works system. Then again ....

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Its because I use my work server to access the internet some of the time and that is linked to Germany somehow and our IT support is in Checkeslovakia. I am in Leeds. Its really annoying and keeps happening with google going German and suggested websites all in a language I can't read.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I know you are replying to OP but in my case.
When i bought the car just under 3 years old and 19,000 miles (i think)
The Perillis on the front of mine were about less than 3mm and that is why they put new budgets on front.
And the rears (Perillis)were gone round the 30,000 mark (got all info in car)
“Perillis” really are an unknown brand of tyre to me. :D (y):unsure:
What are they like to drive on?

Or did you mean “Pirelli”? Many of their tyres sold in UK being made in Carlisle. Less of an imported brand these days than (say) Dunlop. :)

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
The OP did not give the depth of tread, he was saying that they did not look capable of use in the snow!
But didn't they say they are summer tyres? Tread is really irrelevant if the car has non standard tyres at such a low quoted mileage all around? If they are also significantly worn, I would be even more suspitious that it has been clocked somehow?

·
Administrator
13,445 Posts
Perhaps the dealer had swapped the wheels to secure a different sale with a more demanding customer, or perhaps the original wheels had been badly curbed and better ones taken off a high mileage vehicle.
My Yeti is over 100K and the wheels are unmarked so they would be candidates for a younger vehicle at a higher price.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
... in Checkeslovakia.
Luv it! (y);) :love:

Sorry if I seem to have my pedantic head on today?
Must be this viral thing I seem to have? o_O

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
But didn't they say they are summer tyres? Tread is really irrelevant if the car has non standard tyres at such a low quoted mileage all around? If they are also significantly worn, I would be even more suspitious that it has been clocked somehow?
A) Nexen are not necessarily non-standard tyres. Many manufacturers fit them as original factory fit. Including VAG, according to Trilux in #3. All depends on what supplier they can get in a shipment from on the day, to keep the assembly line running. Entirely possible therefore that the OP’s Yeti came out of the Mlada Boleslav factory on a set of Nexens.

Nexen have not been so active in the aftermarket tyre supply arena in the UK, till recently. Too busy I suspect, keeping up with demand to supply manufacturer assembly lines. Especially in their native Korea. That’s probably why fewer people in UK are familiar with the brand name. Not because there is anything sub-standard about them. I can think of many better-known budget tyre brands sold in UK that really are sub-standard, compared to Nexen.

B) The OP did not say he was thinking of replacing his Nexen tyres because they were low on tread. Quite the opposite in fact. Just seeking opinions on what they might be like on snow in winter 2020-21. So thinking of swapping them “in the autumn”. That could still be many 1000’s of miles away? If he chooses to go the route of separate winter and summer wheels+tyres, as many of us do, rather than all season tyres, then he could easily be still running his original Nexens in summer 2021? Still with plenty of tread.

C) Just as well his car is a petrol fuelled version. If it was a diesel I’d be much more apprehensive about buying a 3-year old car with as few miles on it as 17,000. Than I was about a set of perfectly sound Nexen tyres. As a petrol engined car, I’m not so worried about the low mileage. However, my views are well known on “Low Mileage” being a disadvantage in so many cases. So I’ll leave that aspect there.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
OK I take your point, and now presume these are a OEM good tyre and I lept to a conclusion that they were needing replacement.

My wife had a diesel 2013 Fabia. We bought it in 2014, when it was 13 months old and had done 11.5k, but all in the first 7 months, then sat on a forecourt for another 6 months before getting a substantial reduction to clear it for the enmd of year accounts and we bought it.
Had it for 5 years with no issues at all, and when we traded it in it had just reached 25k. so 13.5k in 5 years. It was doing a 45mile trip every other week or so though and that kept it healthy. We only part exchanged it for a petrol when that regular trip stopped, when our daughter finished her degree and then Phd in York and went ot get a real job in Norfolk.

We got a really good px value for it, about £1k more than I thought it was worth, and the garage sold it on their forecourt for a huge profit of a further nearly £2k almost immediately. So some punters do buy low mileage diesels without realising the pitfalls. I was really concerned in the last 2 or 3 months we had it that the change of use would lead to expensive problems.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Great response to my soap box rant Ken! (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Are you sure the car had only done 17k? To need to replace all the original tyres by that low a mileage is very unlikely. Fronts should last 25+k, and rears 45+k at least? My Greenline went back to the lease company with all the original tyres, and the fronts never swapped to rear at 45k and at least 5k still on the front tyres left.
Or are you saying the car was delivered new on these Nexen tyres? Seems very unlikely as the L&K will have had a known make like my 2017 SEL Drive which came on Goodyears and still have 4mm tread minimum at over 25k on those tyres. (Car is at 36k but I have used winters for last 2 years)
Yes, the car only has done 17k. I’ve verified this with the Skoda service records. The tyres on it are perfectly fine, I was querying whether they were up to winter use in the Pennines. Someone else said that Nexen are OEM on many Skodas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A) Nexen are not necessarily non-standard tyres. Many manufacturers fit them as original factory fit. Including VAG, according to Trilux in #3. All depends on what supplier they can get in a shipment from on the day, to keep the assembly line running. Entirely possible therefore that the OP’s Yeti came out of the Mlada Boleslav factory on a set of Nexens.

Nexen have not been so active in the aftermarket tyre supply arena in the UK, till recently. Too busy I suspect, keeping up with demand to supply manufacturer assembly lines. Especially in their native Korea. That’s probably why fewer people in UK are familiar with the brand name. Not because there is anything sub-standard about them. I can think of many better-known budget tyre brands sold in UK that really are sub-standard, compared to Nexen.

B) The OP did not say he was thinking of replacing his Nexen tyres because they were low on tread. Quite the opposite in fact. Just seeking opinions on what they might be like on snow in winter 2020-21. So thinking of swapping them “in the autumn”. That could still be many 1000’s of miles away? If he chooses to go the route of separate winter and summer wheels+tyres, as many of us do, rather than all season tyres, then he could easily be still running his original Nexens in summer 2021? Still with plenty of tread.

C) Just as well his car is a petrol fuelled version. If it was a diesel I’d be much more apprehensive about buying a 3-year old car with as few miles on it as 17,000. Than I was about a set of perfectly sound Nexen tyres. As a petrol engined car, I’m not so worried about the low mileage. However, my views are well known on “Low Mileage” being a disadvantage in so many cases. So I’ll leave that aspect there.

Thank you for this. I’m happy the mileage is genuine. Car supplied originally by a Skoda dealer in Preston, 12 miles from us, and the last and only owner was a doctor in Clitheroe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's not necessarily an unusually low mileage that's bad news for modern diesels, it's how that mileage is achieved. A 3-mile round trip to work and back 5 days a week is not good, but an engine that does fewer but longer trips can stay in healthy condition if it hits and retains full working temperature for long enough. If, like me, you have no option but to use it for some short trips then giving it a run of 40-50 miles at motorway speeds (not M25) is about all you can do - and that's less easy in lock down! Perhaps we've been lucky, but so far (15 years) in a variety of diesels on all sorts of journey types we've had none of the usual problems.
That said, I've just ordered a Carista OBD2 dongle so that may cause me to reassess my views! :)

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Those are the same reasons my BMW has just gone SORN for a few months while this virus situation lasts. It will not have chance for any of its regular, 150 or 250 miles each way trips. So have put it on the drive for a spell. We’ll see how well we get on relying on the Yeti alone.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Those are the same reasons that my Yeti will remain mostly motionless, attached to its life support unit called Ctek.

In the diesel world the Discovery has no electronics (save a small bit in the headlamp washer relay), no EGR, no DPF, no cataclysmic converter, no Adblue system and no worries about all these things objecting to short journeys; so Discovery is now a shopping car. :)

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Mine is now SORN, parked out of the way on my drive, thouroughly washed yesterday to remove salt bird droppings etc from the last few months, summer tyres refitted yesterday and pumped up to 40psi to try and prevent flatspots. Slight slope so although a dsg which locks up the gearbox, I have put a brick in front of one wheel and left the handbrake off so the gearbox lock is not under strain.

I have looked at this Ctek charger and looks good, but no deliveries from Amazon until end April now. Decided to leave it for now. can run the engine occasionally to keep it clear and charge the battery, and the fuel used is going to be a lot less than the £50 to buy a Ctek and the adapter to fit a 12v socket. (It is available elsewhere but will not need it after return to normal?)

Anyone know how quickly the Yeti battery goes down when parked? I did have a VW Jetta once that was always flat in the airport car park after 2 weeks standing, but ok in day to day use? I was unable to drive a few years ago for 8 weeks preparing for and recovering from surgery, and car battery survived that fine with one start and charge at about 6 weeks standing. Didn't even have time to prepare the car that time and lay it up properly.

I wonder how many other millions of cars have been sorned for end of March?

We will use my wifes Citigo for now, much more suited to short trips only.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Anyone know how quickly the Yeti battery goes down when parked? I did have a VW Jetta once that was always flat in the airport car park after 2 weeks standing, but ok in day to day use? I was unable to drive a few years ago for 8 weeks preparing for and recovering from surgery, and car battery survived that fine with one start and charge at about 6 weeks standing.
Ha i remember as youngsters driving round field where mate's relations repaired cars and had loads of scrap cars there, as long as it had flat battery they always started on the "starting handle"

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
The first vehicle I drove on the road a lot was a 1961 Ford Thames minibus, which my father bought and rebuilt at 6 years old and converted to a mobile kitchen for days out and to take camping. I passed my test in 1974 and was able to drive it as spare most of the time. That had a starting handle which I tried once or twice to know how to use it. Have to remeber to tuck your thumb out of the way in case it kicks back!

I was a degree student at the time, and the insurance company suddenly realised they were insuring a 19 year old a couple of years later to drive a 15 seat minibus as it was still registerd as one, even tyhough then only had enough seats for 7 still fitted. I had to sign an agreement that I would never carry more than 4 passengers, and the insurance renewal doubled for my dad from £40/year to £80!!

I enjoyed driving it, sitting right at the front like old VW vans, but it wouldn't reach 70moh, only had 3 speed box, with no synchro into firts. I only managed to double declutch into first properly about 50% of the time, and that was something you needed to do approaching a junction on a hill, or indeed on any steepish hill! Terribly unsafe though as no working seatbelts, and no crumple zone at all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those are the same reasons my BMW has just gone SORN for a few months while this virus situation lasts. It will not have chance for any of its regular, 150 or 250 miles each way trips. So have put it on the drive for a spell. We’ll see how well we get on relying on the Yeti alone.
After buying a 5-Series 5 years ago I worried constantly for the first year about the DPF clogging. I was never aware when a DPF regen was taking place, but I used the Carly app and dongle to monitor regens - even paid a bit extra to be able to force a regen - but the app reported them as happening anywhere between about 250-350 miles. Must admit I miss that 6-pot engine. :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts