Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to raise this again, I know a lot has been written on this topic but..... Has anyone tried a British winter on the factory fitted Dunlop tyres. 17 inch rims, 4x4, no off road button, 140 diesel Adventure, and no boy racer expecting to not have to adopt his driving style.
I'm not off roading, just metalled roads and lanes, presumably snow covered at some point in time,in rural Worcestershire.
I want to know how you faired with the factory fitted option in order to make up my mind as to the necessity to change to winters or All Seasons tyres. Please not a lot of info about the science behind the differences, I think I am now au fait with that following excellent responses from other forum members previously.
Someone out there must have tried it so if that's you, let me know please.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine is fitted with Dunlop tyres, and can confirm them as fairly useless on packed snow or ice. Fine in mud andgrass. All season may be my next choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Igg. Presume the choice of winter or All season is a bit limited with the 17 inch rim, hence people looking round for 16 inch rims.
Starts to mount up doesn't it?
Hmmm .... Food for thought there.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
Wakev uses all seasons and seems very happy with them, I think he has the forum set to let him know when he is mentioned, so with any luck he should be along soon.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Someone call
. Had the Dunlops on my 2x4 1.2 and they where [email protected] once the temp dropped could spin away from a junction with no snow, when it did snow they where no better, had the Goodyear all seasons fitted to my 4x4 yeti from new.

Would advise the fitting of all season tyres to the 17in rims keeps the cost down, and I have found them very good in the snow and as good in the summer as the Dunlops but do move water better, plus they are wearing very well, now at 22k and fronts are still 1-2mil from the 4mil snow bars they would get through this winter and last till next winter when I would have changed the fronts, rears would have been moved to the front. But will have my new yeti in a week or two so have 4 new Goodyear all seasons going on that before handover they can keep the summer tyres.

Other makes of all seasons maybe as good but only had the experience of the Goodyears they have kept me moving and on the road so I am staying with them.

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what can I say lads.....excellent responses from both of you. Just the information I was after.
All seasons on the 17 inch it is......extremely likely to be Goodyear. Christmas has come early for my local tyre fella.Presume the Dunlops can be stored.....any particular do's or don'ts for that?
Thanks for taking the time to post.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Rephil,
My Adventure came with17 inch Dunlops. Not impressed wth them even in 'normal weather'.
For the winter I have changed to 16 inch steel rims with winter tyres.
Ride and grip with 16 inch winters appears to be far superior and gives you a greater sense of security.
Shanco

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Rephil said:
what can I say lads.....excellent responses from both of you. Just the information I was after.
All seasons on the 17 inch it is......extremely likely to be Goodyear. Christmas has come early for my local tyre fella.Presume the Dunlops can be stored.....any particular do's or don'ts for that?
Thanks for taking the time to post.

If you are going for the all seasons, instead of storing the Dunlops and swapping about put them on Ebay or sell them somewhere, and get some of the cost of the new ones back. The all seasons are very good in the summer and move water better than the Dunlops when it rains.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that Shanco ....... I've got to say the Dunlops have given me no worries in terms of ride and grip to date. It's just the certainty of snow and ice at some point that has caused me to call them into question. It's got to cope, daughters pony doesn't accept excuses for non arrival.
Seeing my local tyre fella tomorrow to discuss All Seasons. Wonder why my dear old Frontera flew through anything weather wise on Michelin Lattitudes and kept them on(so to speak) all year. Rain, snow, ice, floods and mud. Steady, getting nostalgic here,
It had it downsides, boy did it, Yeti is like Dita Von Teese compared to Nora Batty. Which would you choose? Just sort Dita some Jimmy Choos and we're sorted!!!
Thanks again for response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Rephil I am also very new to the forum shall be picking up my Yeti Adventure 4x4 on Tuesday I have had the dealer change the supplied Pirellis with Falken eurall season AS 200 tyres, which seem to have good reviewsand are about £40-£50 cheaper than Goodyear 4 seasons. If you are in no hurry to replace your tyres can post a report on how they perform. Selling Pirellis to recoup some of the expense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,again Wakev and Northwalian.
Selling Dunlops would seem to be a good idea if Allseasons are good in Summer or at least as proficient.
P'raps get tyre chappie to sort prices for Falkens before going ahead and purchasing to compare to the Goodyears.
Northwalian, old chap, you will (I guarantee) not be disappointed with your imminent arrival. If you can bring yourself to exit the vehicle I would certainly be grateful for a report on the tyres. I appreciate that euphoria may take you a few days, so no rush. What colour did you choose, the white or silver? Either way you have made a purchase that will keep you grinning for years.....trust me.
I still tell it how much I love it each time I turn off the ignition at night.....sad I know but thoroughly deserved.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Where did you get the Falkens from?
I can't seem to find any listed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Rephil and Llanigraham. Being a new yeti owner I have spent many hours on the internet trying to find out as much as I can about the car as the skoda dealers although helpful didnt really have enough technical knowledge of the vehicle and of the finance scheme. I read up about the Falken tyres which only came on the market this year, i also considered the Hankook Optimo 4s H730 but decided on the Falkens. I bought them from a company on the internet called Oponeo for £98.00 each. I phoned the company beforehand and the chap was very helpful but tyres can only be purchased using there online site. Excellent delivery service arrived at the dealers within 4 days of ordering. They are not made in the "w" speed rating as the Pirellis that were already fitted to the car but in "v" rating and I have gone for the 98XL loading. I phoned the insurance company beforehand just to make sure all would be ok, no problem I was told. This I felt was the best option for the 17 inch rims as there doesnt seem to be any all terrain tyres for this size. I will be driving uphill on a muddy track through a woodland which I have been doing in a little Suzuki Jimny and Nissan Terrano with no problems but am a little apprehensive about the Yeti as all the reviews I have read about the 4x4 system all seem to mention the wonders of the "off road button" which the silver adventure does not have, but none off the other 4x4 cars I have had did either so until the first trip is undertaken I will have to be apprehensive! hope information is helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgive my ignorance but 'Alpins'......they are, which tyres?
Off road button - I haven't got one either on mine.

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
Michelin Alpins are winter tyres, Northwalian mentioned the lack of the off road button. It basically sets off a lot of electronics to control the vehicle, it limits the revs, stiffens the throttle to avoid bounce on rough ground (thanks to Graham for enlightening me on why it stiffened the throttle) and monitors each wheel. You can press the button, engage neutral, and the vehicle will slowly take itself down hill under its own control, shifting power and braking according to traction available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi chaps ....
Winter tyres on existing 17 rims tomorrow......Dunlops. (Goodyear and Dunlop are the same factory apparently).
Chose these as they were easily available, at least if I wanted four..... Which obviously I did.
Storing the Dunlop summers for a bit.
I will let you know how Yeti fairs if (probably when) we get some inclement weather......
Thanks every one for all your advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have had Dunlop Sport winter 4d tyres fitted. (Sport 01's stored till the Summer returns). Must sayYeti has not noticed the difference. (Still uber quiet in terms of road noise, mpg same and handling p'raps a tad better, if that's possible). Speed rating lower on Winters but can deal with that.

Average temperature here since then 'bout 9-10 degrees with a bit of rain. Sure we'll get some winter weather quite soon!I will keep you informed chaps.

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
Assuming that your winter tyres are H rated you don't need to worry they are good for 130 mph, the W rated tyres fitted originally are rated at 168 mph. So unless you are going to Europe with your winter tyres you will not get anywhere near their limit. The link below will explain load and speed ratings.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/load-and-speed-indexes-advice.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts