Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a yeti 2ltr d 4x4 it's now 3 years old and probably the best car we have ever had.
But the tyres wear out very quickly I am now on my 3rd set at 30k miles
The original ones were goodyear excelence 215 60r 16 but I changed them for a cheaper tyre last year KUMHO these don't have the same grip as goodyear ,but are more afordable

has anyone had the same experience , or have you found a tyre that is better , We are 60 year olds and don't drive hard any more so don't need the beter grip although we do live in the Brecon Beacons and get a lot of snow in the winter.

John Jenkins

·
Registered
77 Posts
I managed 18,000 miles out of the Dunlops the car came with. I then replaced them with a set of Nokian, all season tyres, from Mytyres at around £70-£75 per tyre. I had done 17,000 miles on these when the car went back to the leasing company and there was still plenty of wear left on them. There are some good reports about Barum tyres as well which are the little brother of Continental and are priced in the mid price band.

I tend to average about 18k out of any tyre / any car that I have had so the Nokians certainly fared well in my eyes.

Edited by: EdmundBlackadder

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
I also have a 2ltr Yeti which at its first service had done around 18200 miles, 6000 of those were on my winter tyres. According to the Garage I have 5mm left on each of my summer tyres. I didn't measure the tread depth when the car was new but most tyres tend to average around 7mm. So after this very non scientific estimate I will be disappointed to get less than 25-30000 miles from the Dunlop's.
My disc pads are also almost unworn, hard braking would wear tyres as well as pads. Do you do a lot of stop start driving as braking and accelerating frequently would increase tyre wear.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
John,
I've been running Kumho's on mine for 2 years and find they last about 15k on the front and a bit more on the back. I've found them as good as the Goodyears and possibly better in the snow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi all,
at 8,000 miles my original Dunlop Sport still look fairlynew so I am expecting at least to get at least15,000 from them. What I would be interested in is, are there any recomendations for a replacement tyre which gives a more compliant and quieter ride. I currently run the Dunlops at 33 psifront 32 psirear. And just to put car tyre wear into perspective our BMW R1200RT (motorbike) consumes a set of Conti Road Attacks in about 5000 miles which cost £240 a pair to replace. (And for that price I have to take the wheels into the tyre shop !!). Makes the car tyres look very cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Michelin Energy have always given me a great level of comfort and have always lasted a lot longer than other brands mentioned. They also give consistently good grip all the way through as the tread wears. I think they're worth a little extra for the longer term satisfaction.

Edited by: plbxr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts