Yeti Owners Club banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
I haven't ploghed through here but there is some suggestion on cloned dongles that the software for ELM327 isn't up to the standard that VAGDPF needs so it may be not surprisingly that just because an ad says ELM327 means it will work. Hopefully Henry will get access to his Yeti and tell us which specific one he uses.

Reactions: bryetian

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From what you say you have VAGDPF on the mobile what happens when you try and pair with the dongle and the phone and run VAGDPF?
Pair phone with dongle - OK (phone unpaired from car)
Open VAGDPF - OK
Press connect on VAG DPF - cannot connect error message.

I don't have Torque on my phone. I looked at getting it as a test but it wants access just about everything on the phone so it's not welcome.

This came from ebay so I've sent the seller a message asking if the dongle is tied to the Torque app.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
I’ll try to get a photo or details of the plug-in I use. Had it several years so can’t recall without looking. If you don’t mind holding your breath for a few hours. Till I get back to where the Yeti is….

Reactions: bryetian

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
I had a problem not being able to connect to Carista so I called the helpline.
Advice was to restart the phone which cleared the problem.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
2 x post deleted

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Urrell said:
Advice was to restart the phone which cleared the problem.
My phone switches off late evening and restarts itself every morning at 0600.

As mentioned by SnowGood, the VAGDPF developer says that using low cost ELM327 adaptors employing a cloned simplified version of the ELM327 chip may introduce reading errors, connection problems or app freezing. He also says that a decent ELM327 adaptor is required and points to the OBDLink LX, but that's £75.
The Carista dongle works apparently and that would give me other options too.

I have VCDS but my fairly large laptop is awkward to use in the car, has poor battery life and struggles with Win11. Currently looking for a smaller laptop as I don't use it much atm.

VCDS does report:
Measured Soot Mass - 5.69g
Oil Ash Volume - 0.011

While typing this I've had a reply from the seller of my cheap dongle, which ignores my question and just tells me to download Torque; not helpful.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What dongles are people using for the VAG DPF app please? I though I'd give it a try and bought a cheap dongle but, having not been able to connect to it using VAG DPF, I think it's tied to another fault code reading app.
Finally, after asking the seller the same question in three different ways, he has confirmed that this dongle works only with the Torque app, so my initial thought was correct.
I'll return it for a refund via the bay of E.

Now to find a different dongle . . . . . . .

Reactions: SnowGood

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
I’ll try to get a photo or details of the plug-in I use. Had it several years so can’t recall without looking. If you don’t mind holding your breath for a few hours. Till I get back to where the Yeti is….
This is the OBD ELM327 Bluetooth transmitter that normally lives in our Yeti...
Rectangle Gas Font Electric blue Measuring instrument

Bought it several years ago. Cost about £12 from distant memory.
Not tied to any particular software, but works very well with VAG DPF.
Once the phone has been paired to it. (Comes up on the phone as "ELM327" - that's how I know it uses that standard). Never actually tried it with other software - yet. :)

There seem to be plenty similar on flea bay from £5 upwards?

This one I suspect nearest in spec to mine?

Better Luck?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This is the OBD ELM327 Bluetooth transmitter that normally lives in our Yeti...
Thanks Flintstone. :)

I'll have a look at that one and others over the next few days - in between some mods to the en-suite bathroom and making a scale drawing of the main bathroom before some walls disappear, the room gets gutted and a lot of plumbing happens.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My new dongle arrived yesterday via Amazon and it's not the one mentioned by Flintstone. I'm too impatient to wait for something to come from China and then there's the issue with shipping containers.

I tested the dongle with the free DPF app and it all worked as it should so now I have the pro app and lots of figure to look at. :)

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Back to interpretation of Oil Ash Residue figures....

Does anyone have new knowledge on what the figures for OAR mean in practice?
In a post back on page 1 of this thread, Jimmy suggested a DPF full figure was 70g.
Other reports and my own observations, where the OAR figure is presented as a proportion rather than grams, suggest that 70g figure may be correct. Is that true?

I'm trying to get my head around a figure of 7g. Should I be reading that as 10% blocked?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
I'm trying to get my head around a figure of 7g. Should I be reading that as 10% blocked?
Found this on here from about 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Temporary partial reply till more time to complete fully:
Font Communication Device Screenshot Gadget Technology

Am I right in thinking that my oil ash figure is quite high for a car that's only done 32k miles?
Possibly? Possibly not, i.e. OK? Depends how it was treated/mistreated in its early life?
The oil ash (OAR) figure of 21% is saying that the DPF is 21% of its ultimate capacity to do its job.
That is also the figure that the current soot level will get down to, when a regen (soot regeneration) has completed its work. If you carried on treating it the same way, or as its original owner (is that also yourself?), then it's saying the DPF would get completely clogged with white, un-burnable ash (what's left behind when the tiny amounts of oil left on the cylinder walls gets burned during combustion) somewhere towards 152k miles, theoretically. (32000/21*100) In practice the car would gradually but significantly increase its fuel consumption a while before that. As it gets less and less headroom for regular carbon soot build up to occur, before it needs to initiate another regen. And burn more fuel to achieve the exhaust temperatures required to do that .

For example, a 63-plate, 90something k miles, TDi 170 I went to view a month or two ago as a possible purchase, had an oil ash figure of 84%. Its temporary driver (not its owner) said it's fuel consumption was "horrendous". We both decided that was because the DPF only had 16% of its capacity left to play with, to absorb carbon soot, before needing to do another regen. So those were taking place at intervals well below 100 miles. Needing more fuel to be burned (Under "Post Injection" 1 & 2 to achieve that) each time. The driver, who knows me well, said "This is not the car for you!" Which was very honest advice.

Can I do anything about the oil ash

I use Archoil at each fill.

How the heck do I interpret this data?

How much soot is too much?

Is the dpf in reasonable health?
"Yes" - and "Good".

More later on this. And on other aspects of your VAG DPF display.

Just lost a good 40 minutes of typing explanations when I made a wrong click and deleted all my efforts. (I need "auto save"!). Arrrrg! I will return after I've lain down to recover.....

Meanwhile, you may find some of the earlier posts in this thread both informative and useful? It's an ongoing knowledge base. Updating collectively as we each learn more about the implications of the VAG DPF figures really mean in practice, as we go along. Sort of "partially sighted leading the blind" kind of thing?

Anyone with better info that given above - please do jump in...(y)

Reactions: Angela A

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you so much Flintstone. Very helpful indeed. I am starting to make sense of this and how it fits with my car's history.

I bought the car in Feb 20. One previous owner but I suspect they didn't treat it as well as they should. It had low mileage for a 5yr old car (23k).

Was barely used during the lockdown from March to July. The emissions warning light first showed in July 20 and the NOx sensor failed in November 20. Was driven a bit more during 2nd lockdown but still not enough.

Since then it's had a new sensor with Archoil and now gets driven 50 mile round trips most days. Fingers crossed the figures will stabilise now the car is being used as intended.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our Yeti is coming up to 187,000 Miles on the original DPF and the ash load is 103%. Economy is very good - a recent direct trip from N. Staffs to Anglesey recorded 72.9 mpg there and 64.4 coming back, calling at Bangor pier and Llandudno. The main issue with the car had been the EGR being totally blocked with soot but since sorting this the power and torque increase has been remarkable.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has ash readings over 100% with VAGDPF. I read of a Skoda Superb driver who had no problems at over 120%.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a comparison and more data collection, here are my figures (collected on the drive)
Light Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology

I bought the exact dongle Flintstone linked in post #68 so it seems to be fine for VAGDPF - unlike the £2.50 one I got a couple of weeks back.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts