Yeti Owners Club banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Mine is coming up to 90k miles and it's economy is better than ever using Archoil 6200-eu.
This morning for instance is the first time I've actually seen 500 miles on the trip counter beetween filling up. Granted its been close before but never actually made it to 500 with 30 remaining according to maxidot.

I think it's finally run in :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
It seems to know what it is on mine but not on original.
Liquid Bottle Fluid Font Solvent

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
With a ratio of 1ml to 10 ltr of fuel how difficult is it to measure the doses?

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
For the initial 3 dosages use at a ratio of 1:5000 (1ml treats 5 litres of fuel)
Maintenance dosage use at a ratio of 1:10000 (1ml treats 10 litres of fuel)
For low quality bunker fuel use continually at a ratio of 1:7500

For 2 stroke engines use at a ratio of 1:5000

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
Back to VAG DPF....

The "new" (to me) EA288 DFSB TDi150 2017 Yeti reached 100% soot loading exactly as I was completing my journey on Friday. The "old" 2010 Yeti EA189 CFHA TDi110 would initiate a regen anytime over approx. 85% load, provided all its other criteria were met. Such as engine temperature had to be fully up to normal (90°C), etc. The 2017 software always seems to delay the next regen till 100%. Now I know why. :)

Early evening yesterday I was off over the hill (via Blubberhouses), to visit my eldest daughter. A 26 mile each way, cross-country trip that involves crossing four minor hills and dales using a variety of B and C class roads. The 2017 car initiated the regen within 1/4 mile of starting up, while the water temperature needle was still on rock bottom. 2010 car would never have done that!

First couple of miles nearly all uphill, when the motor was working that little bit harder, so exhaust gas temperature climbed into soot burning range (above 350-400°) fairly rapidly. On the downhill sections the exhaust temperature dropped of course. It was interesting to see how the post TDC fuel injection ramped up on those sections to maintain exhaust temps. Higher fuel figures than I've ever seen on the 2010 car. Achieving over 650° exhaust temps on the uphills. The highest rate of soot burn on an uphill was well over "3000 mg/mi" (still not sure if that's /mile or /minute? Think the latter?). Easily 1000mg higher than I've ever seen on the 2010 car in similar circumstances.

Regen completed itself by mile 13. When soot load was down to just over 20%. Not quite as low as I would have expected, but I guessed the software decided "that'll do" by then, as we were on a long downhill again at that point. So it decided to stop injecting extra fuel to achieve the exhaust temperatures needed to continue.

Conclusions:
  • The 2017 car's DPF regen software is even more cunning at managing regens than the 2010 car was.
  • Still needs a reasonable journey length to achieve its goals though. 15 miles perhaps? Less than that and you would still be in partial regen / interrupted territory. In those scenarios it would therefore need to regen more frequently. Increasing fuel consumption.
  • The big surprise was initiating a regen well before engine coolant temperature was up to normal. (y)
  • The more recent software triggers a regen sooner in the car's operating cycle / warm up, and injects rather more fuel post-TDC, to increase exhaust gas temperatures more rapidly, and thus achieve swift soot burn-off, at temperatures well over 600° within the DPF.
  • Therefore the 2017 car can complete an active regen that bit sooner in the journey cycle.
  • The old DPF advice of a prolonged "Italian Tune Up" by a 20+ mile thrash up a motorway is no longer strictly necessary to give the DPF chance to complete an active regen. But you do still need a journey of 15+ miles non-stop, on regular roads to achieve that.
  • Urban journeys don't really count, as too much stop/start and low speed running to achieve high enough exhaust gas temperatures.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts