Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Own a 2012 dsg 1.8tsi yeti for 7 weeks. Having completed 2500klms, am experiencing a tuning fork like noise inside the cabin which happens on high output and revs. It was once just a very fine noise but has now developed further and has magnified over time. Further another noise similar to pinging due to off tuning is experienced at different intensities but particularly under labor at low refs on incline. Back off on the throttle slowly after power and it is very noticeable. Sounds metallic, sounds vibrational but can't help but feel its linked somehow to the other turbo induction noise. It appears to be coming from the left front area of engine bay.
Experience: drove another exact same model today at the dealers and the noises are also on that brand new car but at much lesser a degree.
History: scoda mechanics had car for two days, checked all air and turbo related hoses. Had it up and Down multiple times on hoist, say they need it for more days for further testing and evaluation but basically are mystified. The noises were so loud that the head foreman took it for a drive, recorded it clearly on an iPhone and is now in the process of forwarding it to skoda hq in Europe. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have to take my yeti tsi1.8 back to the garage on monday next week,6months from new,
it started 2 days ago,it is just as you have reported, the skoda mechanic listened to it yesterday ,and we noticed that when we turned of the AC it went quiet.switched it back on it went louder,i to thought it was something to do with the turbo but the machanic thought otherwise but wants the car next week for a couple of days to go right through the car,as you have said you can hear it in the cabin seems to be coming from drivers side of the engine,dont notice it when you are outside the car.when i receive the car backwill let you know what was said

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your email. Update is that vag have taken it on by booking it in to the same skoda dealership l took it to originally. They have given me a loan car from hertz as a way to look after the inconvenience and seem enthusiastic at finding a solution and getting the car back up and running ASAP. They have allowed 5 days for the car to be striped down and examined. Since writing the first message, the noise has actually got worse and has become a large annoyance when driving anywhere. Love our yoda, but these sort of issues within the first 2 months of ownership has put me off a bit. I don't believe this issue will be easily resolvable and believe they will need it again for sometime. The noise does appear to be induction and or exhaust system related. Will update again as I get more news.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi received my car back on friday 20/07/12
been on holiday last week
so the problem was due to the bearing on the AC UNIT
they had the car for 4 days and all seems well
they had to take all of the radiator out as well as gassing the AC back to be cold
hope that is all what is wrong with your car.
good luck matey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 3.

Car has now been in workshop for the best part of 3 weeks and still no sign of getting it back. They have replaced the turbo, it's intake pipes, tried several other minor and major alternatives and tweaks and still the noise continues to have them on the rails with no idea. Must be costing them a small fortune with mechanics with extensive hours on it, numerous expensive parts and providing us with a hertz hire car for the whole duration!! I estimate it so far to be in excess of $12000. I have never once believed this would be an easy fix (see earlier posts) and it has clearly got skoda, it's engineers and all it's advanced mechanics baffled completely. I felt from the start that it probably would've have been easier to just swap us out with a new car but obviously this wasn't an option for them as they clearly believe its fixable. I'm sure they are right but at what cost!? Who knows what condition the car will really be in after they have all used my car as their training tool. Not to mention that we have been without our brand new car for almost as long as we have owned it! No sign of them fixing it soon either! Wow skoda, just wow! Just want a car that we paid considerable money for to be sitting in my own garage rather then someone else's. Their trying their best, and kudos for that, just a very tricky, delicate and unfortunate situation for all involved!:-(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update 4.

Yeti has now been out of our hands for almost 4 weeks. The noise have got them completely baffled and no sign of it getting fixed yet either. We have told VAG that we would like our money back on the car. It has been referred back to the dealer we bought it from. They certainly don't appear enthusiastic as they haven't even bothered calling us to discuss it. The saga continues and no light at the end off the tunnel as yet. Our car has definitely become a guinea pig for Skoda, all we want is a car we paid good dollars for! Wow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear of your tales of woe mate.

I had similar treatment when the shiny new ALFA Romeo 156 I drove off the forecourt the day before refused to start due to its ECU failing. This required a completely new ECU to be ordered from the factory. Took more than four weeks to arrive and be fitted.

In the end they compensated me by offering £500 pounds worth of accessories or an Extended Warranty over and above the manufacturer's Warranty.

As the car was fully loaded spec wise I went for the extra year's Warranty.

What really added insult to injury was the fact that there were two identical unregistered 156's sitting on the forecourt for the duration of my problem. And they wouldn't simply give me one of those.

Hey ho at least they knew what the problem was. Hope you get sorted soon mate. And remember........look for some compensation!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts