Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it has now been a couple of weeks since I collected our (2017 Moon White L&K 1.4 Manual Petrol) Yeti, I thought I'd provide an update.

When I went to collect the Yeti, the selling (non-Škoda) dealer had fitted new tyres all around. Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 - no, I'd never heard of them either. £206.16 for a set of 4. They actually seem to get reasonable reviews online, but the jury's out on whether I keep them or just throw them away and get some proper tyres. He had also fitted rear discs and pads (£57.19) - brakes overall don't feel that great to me, but (a) the rears - not that they do much of the braking - may still be bedding in, and (2) my experience of car brakes are mostly based on fast RWD cars, so my expectations may be unrealistic.

Things didn't get off to a great start - after a three hour journey home, I was literally 5 minutes away from the house when a pizza delivery driver on an L-plate moped ran into the back of me. The good news was that he wasn't hurt, and the only damage he did was to the Yeti's off-side rear light cluster (£182.21 for the part and £52.50 to fit it at my local Škoda main dealers - paid for by his insurers).

Over the next few days, I did a few minor "bonding" tasks:
  • Removed the rear floor/boxes, gave it a good clean and put it back together properly. The Yeti had been fitted with a spare wheel and a raised floor at some point - the car is 2017 but the date stamp on the floor is 2010, so was probably bought second-hand - but not all the fixings were in place and the tools were all over the place. They are now in their allotted places in the underfloor box.
  • Fitted rubber mats.
  • Put Rain-X on all the external windows, mirrors and lights. My previous experience with Rain-X is that its effectiveness depends very much on (1) the airflow over the vehicle and (2) the speed at which you are driving. I'll be interested to see how well it works on the Yeti.
  • Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. Much brighter and more "clinical" - I've gone for a cold white, which I like.
  • Enrolled in the Škoda All-In scheme (£33 a month over 24 months for 2 services, 2 MoTs, and 2 years warranty and breakdown assistance). It had to have an Eligibility Health Check, which it passed with flying colours (apart from allegedly needing an "air con service", which I politely declined as the A/C is working perfectly well).
  • Updated the maps in the Amundsen (it still had 2016 maps on it). Despite suggestions to the contrary elsewhere, the whole of Europe fitted on the existing 16Gb card. Also installed latest speed cameras, and installed logos for a couple of radio stations which don't broadcast them (Times Radio on DAB and Radio 5 Live on AM).
  • Put around 100Gb sub-set of MP3 music that I like on a 128Gb USB stick, and a further 60Gb of music that my wife likes on a 64Gb SD card. Both seem to play fine.
  • I've ordered bonnet struts and a Rearguard bumper protector, so they'll get fitted once they arrive. Also plan to buy mud flaps, rubber liner for boot and (possibly) under seat storage box.
A couple of questions:
  • I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
  • I've been wearing a wet suit whenever I drive the Yeti, but there's been no sign of the panoramic roof leaking. When can I stop wearing it? :)

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
I think you can probably swap the wetsuit for wellies as the first thing noticed tends to be a damp passenger carpet. If there was no body damage the fitting cost for the rear light is a bit steep, one torx screw and a pin that goes into a rubber grommet and an electric connector block, ten minutes work.
I can recommend invisible glass for the windscreen and polytrol for your black bits.

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
571 Posts
A couple of questions:
  • I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
  • I've been wearing a wet suit whenever I drive the Yeti, but there's been no sign of the panoramic roof leaking. When can I stop wearing it? :)
£52.50 for fitting a rear light? It takes ten minutes. :oops:

1. Fuse box on drivers side of dash so piggy back fuse from there is easy but why don't you get smartlink enabled and use Android Auto on the head unit?

2. First sign of water ingress is steamy windows. Don't get too worried.

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there was no body damage the fitting cost for the rear light is a bit steep, one torx screw and a pin that goes into a rubber grommet and an electric connector block, ten minutes work.
It's TWO Torx screws, which probably explains it :)

If I had been paying, I would have done it myself, but the other party's insurance wanted to pay the dealership directly, so I let them do it. To be fair, the dealers also had to deal with the admin side of the claim, and order in the part, so it's probably a lot more than 10 minutes of their employees' time.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
Piggyback fuse holder on number 6 in the fuse box in the drivers A pillar.

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Piggyback fuse holder on number 6 in the fuse box in the drivers A pillar.
Just in case confused? Nick means the end of the dashboard adjacent to the driver's side A-pillar, rather than the A-pillar itself. :) At first sight, the end cover looks like part of the dash end moulding, on the face that abuts to the door card when the door is closed. It fits so well. If you look closely though, mid-way along the underside is a small slot. That takes a small electrical screwdriver to lever off the cover panel. Behind that, lo and behold is a fuse panel like the diagram in #5. It's upside down compared to the diagram in the manual (if you have one of those). During the conversion from LHD to RHD, the whole unit is simply taken from the car's left side dash end panel, and moved over to the right end, as if it had been slid along the top of the dash and down the opposite end. ;)

Reactions: Enter Username Here

·
Registered
571 Posts
Enabling smartlink will give you the following functionality.

(Actually will give you a lot more as this is an old vid and there's been several updates. You should also check that it's not already enabled.)

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's upside down compared to the diagram in the manual (if you have one of those). During the conversion from LHD to RHD, the whole unit is simply taken from the car's left side dash end panel, and moved over to the right end, as if it had been slid along the top of the dash and down the opposite end.
Thanks. I've had practice of standing on my head in the driver's footwell when I was trying to locate where the OBD socket was, so that should come in handy!

but why don't you get smartlink enabled and use Android Auto on the head unit?
As best I understand it, I would need to physically plug the handset in to the car, using a cable, in order to use SmartLink/Android Auto. I can't remember the last time that I stuck a piece of wire into any of my phones, and I don't plan to start now.

(I also gather that it would cost c£150 to get SmartLink activated - it was one of the first things I checked - and I'm not seeing any real advantages. I can make calls and listen to my music through the car's head unit already, and Google Maps is closer to my line of sight when my phone is mounted on the windscreen than if I had to glance down at the Amundsen).

·
Registered
571 Posts
As best I understand it, I would need to physically plug the handset in to the car, using a cable, in order to use SmartLink/Android Auto. I can't remember the last time that I stuck a piece of wire into any of my phones, and I don't plan to start now.

(I also gather that it would cost c£150 to get SmartLink activated - it was one of the first things I checked - and I'm not seeing any real advantages. I can make calls and listen to my music through the car's head unit already, and Google Maps is closer to my line of sight when my phone is mounted on the windscreen than if I had to glance down at the Amundsen).
Why the aversion to using the phones wired connectivity? I have a top of the range handset every two years and never had a problem.

Advantages for me are you arrive at your destination with a charged phone, if you have flac on your phone or subscribe to lossless streaming service you don't loose quality streaming through lossy bluetooth, no need for phone holders in the window/vent. And if you do listen to media on the head unit sources google maps audio still works as normal NAV.

Downside is yes the Yeti's display is relatively low. Our other three vehicles have dashmounted 8"+ screens and Android Auto works a lot better. Even our Citroen Berlingo van can show up the Yeti's age of interior design for screen placement.
Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

£150 is indeed steep but there are third parties that can do it a lot cheaper over private messaging.

Everyone's mileage and usage is different so whether Android Auto is worth it is different for everyone.

Just pains that on our 2017 L&K Yeti smartlink was an option and on our 2017 Fabia SE it was standard.

Reactions: Enter Username Here

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why the aversion to using the phones wired connectivity? I have a top of the range handset every two years and never had a problem.

Advantages for me are you arrive at your destination with a charged phone
I arrive with a fully charged handset anyway, as it's charging wirelessly while it's in its cradle.

I guess that I weaned off all wires a long time ago, so plugging a cable into my phone seems like a retrograde step, especially if I have to plug/unplug it every time I get in/out of the car. It also would use the USB socket, where I currently have a 128Gb USB stick with music that I have chosen (I don't tend to use streaming services, and FLAC seems a bit pointless given the quality of the head unit/speakers and general road noise - MP3 is good enough for the environment).

I use Tasker on my phone to set it into a "Car" mode when it connects to the Bluetooth in any of my cars (so it turns the volume up, switches off wi-fi, starts Google Maps, etc, etc), and reverts the changes when Bluetooth disconnects.

If SmartLink was free (or cheap) then I might try it, but I'm not seeing a compelling use case - for me - at £150. As a technophile, I'd be interested in knowing more about the third parties who can do it a lot cheaper, but I'm guessing that's not a discussion which would be appropriate on an open forum...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like SmartLink Apple Car Play to get Waze up on the Yeti display, I also prefer touching the display rather than my phone, and sending/receiving messages by voice control. The only annoying bug is when it fails to connect (via cable) but this is usually resolved by tapping my iPhone power button to turn the phones display on or off, usually does the trick.

You can also get wireless kits for SmartLink/Apple Car Play, but I haven't tried one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If SmartLink was free (or cheap) then I might try it, but I'm not seeing a compelling use case - for me - at £150. As a technophile, I'd be interested in knowing more about the third parties who can do it a lot cheaper, but I'm guessing that's not a discussion which would be appropriate on an open forum...
Someone may send you a PM or maybe do a google as there's a few on briskoda who can offer codes.

Everyone has different use for tech so it's never one size fits all. If you do go down the USB route you could drop your music on an SD card. That's what I tend to do and if I am listening to the SD card at least with Android auto Google Maps guidance still uses the cars audio.
But to be fair mainly use music on my phone 1.5TB or hi-res streaming or internet radio to get around the poor DAB signal in my area.
New phone due in December, not sure yet, so many flagships dropping expandable storage.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
the poor DAB signal in my area.
Not just your area! Was very weak and patchy in North Yorkshire, even before the Bilsdale transmitter mast fire. Been pretty much non-existent since. Will take two+ years for Bilsdale to be re-built. (Properly at least. There are various interim measures for TV signals going in, but DAB not part of those). Have now binned my DAB radio and get radio streamed in the house, via a couple of Alexa Dots. Plus BBC Sounds.

How long before DAB gets phased out completely? Given there is no longer a case to switch off FM (much better signal by far). So half the case for DAB is gone away. :unsure:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not just your area! Was very weak and patchy in North Yorkshire, even before the Bilsdale transmitter mast fire. Been pretty much non-existent since. Will take two+ years for Bilsdale to be re-built. (Properly at least. There are various interim measures for TV signals going in, but DAB not part of those). Have now binned my DAB radio and get radio streamed in the house, via a couple of Alexa Dots. Plus BBC Sounds.

How long before DAB gets phased out completely? Given there is no longer a case to switch off FM (much better signal by far). So half the case for DAB is gone away. :unsure:
It will die pretty quickly I think as stations move to internet based systems.

Even now many popular stations are low quality mono on Dab but good quality stereo when streaming.

·
Registered
908 Posts
In theory, DAB should give more accurate reception over a longer distance. That would depend on all things being equal, which of course they never are.

Below a certain bit rate of transmission, digital signals will suffer. Of course, in the UK, transmission bit rates are quite a lot below that level. Digital transmitters are more expensive than analogue FM or AM transmitters, so fewer are in operation and those that are tend to be concentrated on urban areas. The frequencies that DAB stations operate on are twice that of FM stations, making their propagation less suited to hilly rural areas.

Will DAB die? Maybe, as Logiclee suggests it might in favour of internet based systems, but they will have to rely on data over the mobile phone system. 5G will enhance that.

But…..it is not likely to disappear in favour of FM. The government sell frequency bandwith. DAB uses far less bandwidth than analogue systems. Users might prefer FM but closing analogue radio transmission will free up a lot of bandwidth which can be sold off!!!

Edit: Many DAB stations do transmit in stereo. The way the signals are modulated for transmission over the internet is the same as on DAB. Where the difference creeps in is the transmission bit rate as explained above.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Someone may send you a PM or maybe do a google as there's a few on briskoda who can offer codes.

Everyone has different use for tech so it's never one size fits all. If you do go down the USB route you could drop your music on an SD card. That's what I tend to do and if I am listening to the SD card at least with Android auto Google Maps guidance still uses the cars audio.
But to be fair mainly use music on my phone 1.5TB or hi-res streaming or internet radio to get around the poor DAB signal in my area.
New phone due in December, not sure yet, so many flagships dropping expandable storage.
It would be interesting to hear what these options are.

·
Registered
571 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts