Yeti Owners Club banner

Update after 2 weeks' ownership

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark2LTDI 
#1 ·
As it has now been a couple of weeks since I collected our (2017 Moon White L&K 1.4 Manual Petrol) Yeti, I thought I'd provide an update.

When I went to collect the Yeti, the selling (non-Škoda) dealer had fitted new tyres all around. Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 - no, I'd never heard of them either. £206.16 for a set of 4. They actually seem to get reasonable reviews online, but the jury's out on whether I keep them or just throw them away and get some proper tyres. He had also fitted rear discs and pads (£57.19) - brakes overall don't feel that great to me, but (a) the rears - not that they do much of the braking - may still be bedding in, and (2) my experience of car brakes are mostly based on fast RWD cars, so my expectations may be unrealistic.

Things didn't get off to a great start - after a three hour journey home, I was literally 5 minutes away from the house when a pizza delivery driver on an L-plate moped ran into the back of me. The good news was that he wasn't hurt, and the only damage he did was to the Yeti's off-side rear light cluster (£182.21 for the part and £52.50 to fit it at my local Škoda main dealers - paid for by his insurers).

Over the next few days, I did a few minor "bonding" tasks:
  • Removed the rear floor/boxes, gave it a good clean and put it back together properly. The Yeti had been fitted with a spare wheel and a raised floor at some point - the car is 2017 but the date stamp on the floor is 2010, so was probably bought second-hand - but not all the fixings were in place and the tools were all over the place. They are now in their allotted places in the underfloor box.
  • Fitted rubber mats.
  • Put Rain-X on all the external windows, mirrors and lights. My previous experience with Rain-X is that its effectiveness depends very much on (1) the airflow over the vehicle and (2) the speed at which you are driving. I'll be interested to see how well it works on the Yeti.
  • Replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. Much brighter and more "clinical" - I've gone for a cold white, which I like.
  • Enrolled in the Škoda All-In scheme (£33 a month over 24 months for 2 services, 2 MoTs, and 2 years warranty and breakdown assistance). It had to have an Eligibility Health Check, which it passed with flying colours (apart from allegedly needing an "air con service", which I politely declined as the A/C is working perfectly well).
  • Updated the maps in the Amundsen (it still had 2016 maps on it). Despite suggestions to the contrary elsewhere, the whole of Europe fitted on the existing 16Gb card. Also installed latest speed cameras, and installed logos for a couple of radio stations which don't broadcast them (Times Radio on DAB and Radio 5 Live on AM).
  • Put around 100Gb sub-set of MP3 music that I like on a 128Gb USB stick, and a further 60Gb of music that my wife likes on a 64Gb SD card. Both seem to play fine.
  • I've ordered bonnet struts and a Rearguard bumper protector, so they'll get fitted once they arrive. Also plan to buy mud flaps, rubber liner for boot and (possibly) under seat storage box.
A couple of questions:
  • I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
  • I've been wearing a wet suit whenever I drive the Yeti, but there's been no sign of the panoramic roof leaking. When can I stop wearing it? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you can probably swap the wetsuit for wellies as the first thing noticed tends to be a damp passenger carpet. If there was no body damage the fitting cost for the rear light is a bit steep, one torx screw and a pin that goes into a rubber grommet and an electric connector block, ten minutes work.
I can recommend invisible glass for the windscreen and polytrol for your black bits.

#4 ·
If there was no body damage the fitting cost for the rear light is a bit steep, one torx screw and a pin that goes into a rubber grommet and an electric connector block, ten minutes work.
It's TWO Torx screws, which probably explains it :)

If I had been paying, I would have done it myself, but the other party's insurance wanted to pay the dealership directly, so I let them do it. To be fair, the dealers also had to deal with the admin side of the claim, and order in the part, so it's probably a lot more than 10 minutes of their employees' time.

#3 ·
A couple of questions:
  • I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
  • I've been wearing a wet suit whenever I drive the Yeti, but there's been no sign of the panoramic roof leaking. When can I stop wearing it? :)
£52.50 for fitting a rear light? It takes ten minutes. :oops:

1. Fuse box on drivers side of dash so piggy back fuse from there is easy but why don't you get smartlink enabled and use Android Auto on the head unit?

2. First sign of water ingress is steamy windows. Don't get too worried.

#5 ·
I tend to use Google Maps on my phone, which lives in a wireless charger on the windscreen near to the driver's side A pillar. Is there any convenient point from which to get a switched 12V supply for it?
Piggyback fuse holder on number 6 in the fuse box in the drivers A pillar.

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

#6 ·
Piggyback fuse holder on number 6 in the fuse box in the drivers A pillar.
Just in case confused? Nick means the end of the dashboard adjacent to the driver's side A-pillar, rather than the A-pillar itself. :) At first sight, the end cover looks like part of the dash end moulding, on the face that abuts to the door card when the door is closed. It fits so well. If you look closely though, mid-way along the underside is a small slot. That takes a small electrical screwdriver to lever off the cover panel. Behind that, lo and behold is a fuse panel like the diagram in #5. It's upside down compared to the diagram in the manual (if you have one of those). During the conversion from LHD to RHD, the whole unit is simply taken from the car's left side dash end panel, and moved over to the right end, as if it had been slid along the top of the dash and down the opposite end. ;)

Reactions: Enter Username Here
#7 ·
Enabling smartlink will give you the following functionality.

(Actually will give you a lot more as this is an old vid and there's been several updates. You should also check that it's not already enabled.)

#11 ·
I like SmartLink Apple Car Play to get Waze up on the Yeti display, I also prefer touching the display rather than my phone, and sending/receiving messages by voice control. The only annoying bug is when it fails to connect (via cable) but this is usually resolved by tapping my iPhone power button to turn the phones display on or off, usually does the trick.

You can also get wireless kits for SmartLink/Apple Car Play, but I haven't tried one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.