Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not been around for a while and have a little problem with my Urban. Apart from having to have a full tailgate replacement due to vandalism
, has anyone found the external trim to mark very easily? Further to that, when I last cleaned my car (Saturday gone, bloody freezing!!) I have found that two of the roof strips have cracked?? Not sure how the **** this has happened but it's annoying the bejeesus out of me! Looks like I'm going to have to take it in to mu local dealer to get them replaced, hopefully this should be covered by the warranty as it's only 7 months old?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Neil,

Long time no see, I hope married life is treating you well? Sorry to hear about your tailgate - so was that a whole new boot door? What happened??

I saw your post so thought I'd check my Urban and lo and behold...

I have cracks on 3 out of 4roof strips and 1 has 2 cracks!! I think it's either caused by the weather - probably the cold (as there's been no sun!
) or maybe body flex? I think a trip to the local dealers is in order but i'm concerned how they'll get them off as they are glued down...

What trim is getting marked? The wheel arch trims or somewhere else?

Regards,

Stephen

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stephen, married life is good. No change really, she still doesn't do what I tell her!!

I was woken at 2:30 on a Saturday by the Police the inform me of an "incident" that had occurred on the corner of my street. Some 19 year lad had been beating his boyfriend up and then run off down my street and thought he'd do a flying kick on my Yeti as he passed. Police caught him a few streets over as they had already been called and he admitted it. CSI took his boot pint Saturday afternoon and he was up in court last week. He got 50 hours community service and ordered to pay me £450 compensation (my excess). Insurance company is also seeking liability for the damage so quite an expensive night for him.

Sort of glad it's not just my car(sorry)as it must be a design fault so I think we will be ok getting it done under warranty. I've already had the trim over the passenger side wheelarch replaced as the valeter at Listers had scuffed it, they arranged for my local dealership to replace it. It took them 3 go's to do it right, I think they heat it to loosen the glue and then just peel it off.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
My Yeti does not have the roof rails, I wonder if this is a general problem with the Urban. It could be the low temperatures are making them go hard and brittle causing them to crack when the body flexes. Truthseeker has an Urban I wonder if his are O.K. although I think his car is "hibernating for the winter".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good Morning fellow "Urbanites". Not been on this forum for a while (shame on me), but TheHood got in contact to awaken me and Yeti from our winter hibernation.

Just had a look at the roof trims and luckily for me, they appear OK. I only have done 4500 miles and I do cover the Yeti up in the bad weather, so possibly that may have prevented any excess body flex/cold weather, affecting the trims.

Not a good sign though, and I agree that removing to replace (as glued) will be - lets say....challenging, as they are glued.

Anyway, thanks for the info and I will be keeping a check on them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a trip over the Simpsons Skoda of preston this morning, they've ordered a new set of roof strips and booked the Yeti in for the repairs on 8th April. It's all covered under the warranty so jobs a good one!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Let me know how you get on Neil and I'll decide then if it's worth getting them changed. I do wonder though if this will happen again as it's a flaw somewhere - either in the design or the materials used.

Good luck with it and looking forward to hearing about how you get on...

Regards,

Stephen

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped the car off this morning and will be picking up tomorrow evening as it's a 24 hour bonding process. They gave me a City Go as a courtesy car and it's like driving a shoebox after the Yeti!

I've got into detailing my car quite a bit since I bought it, love trying out different waxes and sealants. After my recent repair to the tailgate, the bodyshop must have washed my car with an old rag as they left quite a few swirl marks on the paint work. So, out came the rotary polisher on Sunday to remove those on the bonnet. Here's how I got on.

Very pleased with that.
Edited by: CodHead

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have polisher will travel!

It's the first time I've used it on my Yeti and it was pretty back breaking, hat's off the pro detailers who do this for a living.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Great job, only shame is that black never stays that shiny for long! It's my favourite colour choice for the Yeti (slightly biased
) but is a bugger to keep clean.

What products do you use? I use Meguiars on mine and they give a lovely finish...

Stephen

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started out with Meguiars 3 step system and have also used Autoglym HD wax and cleanser.

I'm mainly using Autobrite Direct products at the moment as they are really good. The yeti is wearing bit of a mixture at the moment as I have AD Seal & Protect with Profect 32 quick detailer over the top for extra gloss on some of the door panels and AD "The Abyss" paste sealant on the bonnet, roof and tailgate. Abyss is very good as you can use it on your paintwork and trim and it has very good hydrophobic qualities.

Cleanyourcar.co.uk has just started selling the Sonax range which has been getting some great reviews on detailingworld.com. I'm keen to try their Polymer Netshield sealant and Extreme Brilliant Shine detailer. Both give and lovely, deep gloss to your paintwork and have amazing water sheeting properties.Edited by: CodHead

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Codhead, I,ve seen fantastic reports on the Sonax Extreme Brillant shine detailer.It has just been launched in the UK.Do you use a rotary polisher or a DAS type polisher?
CYC are a superb firm to deal with, I bought my last DAS polisher from them.
Tony

·
Registered
786 Posts
HiCodhead, have you got your Urban back yet? I'd be interested to know how you got on as mine has the same issue with the roof strips...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi manx, I used a EP801 rotary that I got from CYC. Used it with Scholl S30 on a Chemical Guys white hex pad and then refined with Nanotech Super Gloss on a CG blue hex pad.

The Extreme Brilliant Shine detailer looks very good indeed. In the tests on Detailing World it out performed Carpro Reload after a series of APC washes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steve, picking it up tomorrow morning. They kept it an extra day as the weren't satisfied with the bonding of one of the strips so they did it again.Edited by: CodHead

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The International Space Station just called and requested that you park your polished Yeti under cover. The reflective glare is dazzling their eyes.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the Yeti back yesterday and all looked good but today I've noticed that the trim hasn't bonded properly so it's a call to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Any update on this? I think I will go to the dealers to get it noted but I worry that it could end up worse than it is with just some splits...

1 - 20 of 164 Posts