Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending some time searching through forums and how-to postings, I plugged in my HEX+CAN cable from Ross-Tech and delved into the engine ECU to make some mods to my 1.2 TSI Yeti.

Enabled Gauge test\Needle Sweep (...no practical function but looks great)
Enabled tear drop function on rear wiper.
Enabled tear drop function on front wipers.
Enabled emergency brake light flash.
Enabled emergency braking hazard light activation.
Increased the lane change flash from 3 to 5 flashes.
Increased the rear window/side mirror heating time.

If anyone is interested, leave a comment and I will do a lengthy how-to.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
I increased the lane flash to five as well, the trouble is if you knock the indicator stalk by accident unless you actually turn the indicators on and off to stop them, the five flashes seem to go on forever.

I also increased the brake assist, and changed to leaving/coming home lights from the xenon's to the fog lights.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Not really, the garage is highly unlikely to notice and I will change it all back again before it goes in for its service, just a ten minute job.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What is the 'tear drop function on the wipers'? And why are these changes only available via the HEX+CAN cable?!
They seem like perfectly reasonable changes and make no affect to the drive of the car I can understand certain things being dealer only but why are these 'simple' changes not DIY?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
The Hood said:
Not really, the garage is highly unlikely to notice and I will change it all back again before it goes in for its service, just a ten minute job.
No need to change it back.
I had the cornering fogs activated on mine not long after I had it and none of the garages have ever commented on it. Plenty of others "elsewhere" have done exactly the same as you and have never reported a query about it.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
discosteve said:
What is the 'tear drop function on the wipers'? And why are these changes only available via the HEX+CAN cable?!
They seem like perfectly reasonable changes and make no affect to the drive of the car I can understand certain things being dealer only but why are these 'simple' changes not DIY?
The dealer's system doesn't have the same capabilities as the one used here.
They are DIY as long as you buy the relevant cable, as they are only accessable through the "port" and not programmed in the Maxidot system.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
discosteve said:
The teardrop function is an extra sweep a few seconds later to catch the last little dribble from the top.

·
Registered
786 Posts
So what equipment does one need? I assume a laptop and some type of cable and some software? Are these expensive (not the laptop!) and are they easy to get on ebay or somewhere? Ta

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
What is needed is a VCDS lead produced by a firm called Ross-tech. The lead plugs into the management system socket which is just above the accelerator pedal. There are cheap fake copies on eBay which are a waste of time. If you go to the Ross-Tech site (link below) there is an interactive section where you can get an idea of what can be done.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

The software is downloaded from the Ross-tech site, the lead comes with a licence to use it (coded into the lead), the fakes do not and the software will stop working if you use a fake.A reliable place to buy a lead is Gendan (link below)

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

If you decide to get a lead, whatever you do, when you use it make sure you take and save regular scans, so that you can undo something if you make a mistake. You could do some really serious damage if you get it wrong. That said if you take care and record what you have done you will be O.K.

You may be better off finding someone near you who has a lead and asking if they will help you. Some charge many do not, beer tokens are a popular renumeration.
Edited by: The Hood

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
discosteve said:
So what equipment does one need? I assume a laptop and some type of cable and some software? Are these expensive (not the laptop!) and are they easy to get on ebay or somewhere? Ta
After starting out on this I would advise you to do your homework before doing anything. Search for "vag com changes" on Google and do a lot of reading first. The ross-tech site (http://www.ross-tech.com/) has a lot of good advice and plenty of tips and tricks, as well as educational videos and how-to's. The VCDS software can also be downloaded from there and it is very good software. And its FREE. I used the beta software and it worked flawlessly for me. Another advantage to using the genuine ross-tech cables is the software will update the firmware in the cable, if needed. Mine did. The cable is expensive but is a high quality, professional looking unit..
You will probably not find vag com mods related to a Yeti specifically, but have a look for Golf vag com changes, or a similar VAG vehicle with the same motor as yours. VAG vehicles have a lot of sytems in common, but be aware that not all procedures with a similar vehicle will be the same for your specific vehicle. Some will be but others won't. There are differences. Just remember it is better to tread cautiously as you can do some damage, but it certainly won't hurt to at least have a look. Interesting stuff. Also be aware that some changes that you can make may NOT necessarily be legal in your particular country. Also some areas, such as accessing the immobiliser, are a dealer only area that require privileged information and access rights to get into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts