Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered myself VCDS Hex+CAN from Gendan.

Hopefully it will not be too much of a learning curve, must make sure I save plenty of scans before I alter anything. Some of the things I would like to do are change the maxidot to MPH, change the leaving/coming home setting from the Xenons to the fog lights and firm up the brake pedal. My last car had quite positive braking and I find the Yeti a bit soft.

One of my brother in laws has an Audi and the other a Golf so hopefully three of us could benifit.

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The lead arrived three days ago and I have done plenty of homework and saved scans.
Today I changed my car from English to Australian. Now I have the option of MPH on the maxidot
, There is one complication howeverthat I have not seen mentioned anywhere.
If I want to display something such as the oil temp, or current fuel consumption at the same time as my road speed I have to go into settings, disable the MPH display and go back to KPH. The only thing I can display at the same time as MPH is the outside temperature where the KPH used to be.

Next on the list will be the coming home lights to save the Xenons,

·
Administrator
4,863 Posts
That's good to hear that you are at least part way to getting the changes you want.
Istill find viewing the speedo difficult, especially the speeds 0 to 50 as the left side is obscured by the deep cowling.

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been wondering if it is feasable (excuse spelling) to swap the dials over but I need to pluck up the courage to try. Keen to have another go with VCDS but SWMBO has had a recent knee op and I am chief cook and bottle washer after getting home from work. I've got next Tues,Weds Thurs off work so it may have to wait until then.I have also got a copy of Else Win (escuse spelling again) so watch this space.

·
Administrator
4,863 Posts
Else Win?
( Think I went to school with her!)

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
I doubt you willbe able to swop the clocks over, as the back of the unit is a printed circuit board, containing everything to do with the whole display.

Good diagram in Elsawin.
Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
4,863 Posts
Not the same one, the one I knew was never that cheap!

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well so far I have triedKPH to MPH, this worked but I lost the ability to displaythe temperature andmore than one other item at the same time, so I have changed back again
Needle staging, I didn't know what it was so gave it a try. Having the needles on both dials swing all the way to the right and then left when switching on serves no purpose, so that has been changed back as well.
Lane change, Number of flashes when stalk knocked increased from 3 to 5. This seems usefull so I'mkeeping it.
Coming home lights,Changed from Xenons to fog lights to preserve Xenons, keeping this one. Although strangely the fogs light up when the car is unlocked, no Xenons or fogs when locking. Must work on that one
Brake assist, changed from medium to high. The brakes always seemd a bit soft, this has worked very well indeed and will be kept.

·
Administrator
4,863 Posts
Pity about the KPH to MPH as if there was a way of just changing the displayed speed it would have been a useful change.

I agree about the Needle Staging, having read other posts where this mod had been made it seemed to me that it was mere cosmetic and you'd soon stop noticing.
Hope you resolve the Coming Home lights as that does seem worth it if it saves life on the Xenon bulbs.

Not found the brakes a problem on my 7 week old yeti, certainly sharper than the old car and had to avoid pressing as hard with the foot to get smooth braking. Glad you have adjusted it to your liking though and god to know it's an adjustment that works.

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hello Hood, can I just ask... is this a hardware AND software purchase or do you make the changes from a laptop via a cable of some sorts?

Thanks, Stephen

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a VCDS Hex+Can lead from a firm called Gendan which plugs into the ECU and a laptop. If you buy the lead from them it is a Ross-Tech product which means you can use their software (Ross-Tech)and get lifetime updates. There must be a small amount of memory within the cable as it is recognised by the software, if you buy a cheap lead from Ebay the software will stop working. Here is a link the Gendan site, there is an interactive demo on the Ross-tech site (second link for Ross-Tech.The socket for the lead is just above the accelerator pedal
http://www.gendan.co.uk/search.php
http://www.ross-tech.com/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Hood, I have read that you can change the display settings to "rest of world" on the clocks and then get the MPH part in the Maxidot without loosing some other features, but not sure what else you can display at the same time? Maybe need to have a look at this? Could be best of both? Want to get mine done when I get towbar coded, Bluetooth install coded, etc etc.

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Asshown in the pictures abovedue to the larger digits youlose two lines from the display when you show mph, althoughyou get an extra settings option in the MFD/maxidot that enables you to revert to the old (KPH) display, which is what I use.

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
JohnYeti said:
Hi Hood, I have read that you can change the display settings to "rest of world" on the clocks and then get the MPH part in the Maxidot without loosing some other features, but not sure what else you can display at the same time? Maybe need to have a look at this? Could be best of both? Want to get mine done when I get towbar coded, Bluetooth install coded, etc etc.
I thought you had to change to "Australia" not the "rest of the world", and a few people have reported a few problems having done it to newer cars.

Note, it is very unlikely that a dealer will do this for you.

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is changed to Australia as statedin one of my earlier posts, I just did not bother to correct him.I doubt if a dealer would/could change it, and in all honesty in my opinion (others may differ), with what is lost I don't think it is worth bothering with and actually changed back. I bought the lead as I tend to keep my cars fairly long term, my last car (Mazda Premacy)was 10 years, 154,000 miles and the one before(Nissan Prairie)15 years180,000 miles then passed to my wife (at her request)for another six leisurley years until I said that I would not maintain it past its 21st birthday.

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
Good grief a Prairie that lasted that long!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bit at odds here. I know about the Australia setting, which gives you the large MPH but loses some other data from the screen. I read somewhere that is you set to "ROW" (rest of world) you get a smaller MPH and keep some of the other data lines as well. Though you may want to give it a quick look as you have the cable to try it out

Wasn`t getting a dealer to do the coding Graham, towbar fitting guy does the coding for the Westy towbar and wiring loominstalland (hopefully) other stuff as well

·
Administrator
14,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Llanigraham said:
Good grief a Prairie that lasted that long!!!
Bought new and serviced by me, I would buy another tomorrow, easy to drive, can see all four corners and I even got a ships piano in the back after I removed its casters. The Mazda also bought new and again serviced by me, itstill has its original clutch and exhaust, and according to the new owner has just sailed through its MOT with not even an advisory.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts