Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having wanted a Yeti for a few years, so far I love it. Have been pootling around town in it. Love all the bells and whistles, the simple yet solid, stylish interior, the all-round clear vision and the bags of room. However, today I ventured across country and the state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired. I actually felt I’d been thrown around in the passenger seat and liken it to being in a cement mixer! to be honest it was exceptionally uncomfortable and a bit alarming. There was so much movement side to side and up and down it was like being on a roller coaster. Pretty sure there’s no suspension! My skeleton feels as if it’s been given a right good shaking. (Driver was not Jason Button either!] Having been in other SUV’s owned by friends I’ve never experienced anything quite like this before. Is this normal? Am I just being too sensitive and should I just get used to being thrown around like this? (Hope not.) I’m wondering if I’ve bought the wrong car and already dreading long journeys to Scotland and Cornwall. Any advice/help or similar experiences welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
There was so much movement side to side and up and down it was like being on a roller coaster. Pretty sure there’s no suspension!
That doesn’t sound like a Yeti to me? Have always found the suspension well controlled. Firm but comfortable, with exceptionally little body roll for a car with its ride height.

Are you sure your Yeti’s dampers are functioning correctly? If at all?

What’s it like if you drive the Yeti yourself on the same roads? Or put today’s driver in a Fabia with you as passenger on the same roads?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn’t sound like a Yeti to me? Have always found the suspension well controlled. Firm but comfortable, with exceptionally little body roll for a car with its ride height.

Ah, that’s good to hear. If only I knew what a damper was, though! Where are they and how do I find out if they’re not working? Thank you for your swift reply. I was so alarmed with the ride today...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

What’s it like if you drive the Yeti yourself on the same roads? Or put today’s driver in a Fabia with you as passenger on the same roads?
That’s a very good question. I actually drove the outward journey a d felt that there was excessive roll and sideways movement in the car and was aware the passenger was rolling around a lot And having to hold onto the grab handles.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Dampers are the suspension components that control the movement of the springs. Without dampers or with ineffective dampers, the springs just continue bouncing up and down after every road undulation. Leading to a bouncy ride with lots of porpoising (fore-aft oscillation of the whole car), and excess roll (sideways leaning on corners).

Commonly but incorrectly called “shock absorbers”. In reality the springs absorb the energy of hitting a bump. The dampers control how the spring oscillates. Differently on the bounce than the rebound.

On the Yeti the dampers at all four corners are the tubular type. At the front you can see them over the top, of the tyres. In the middle of the wheel arch. A tube about 2” diameter running vertically down the centre of the spring.

·
Administrator
14,368 Posts
As above it sounds like someone needs to have a look at the shock absorbers and check there are no broken springs. The ride should be firm rather than rolling, none of the posts in this thread indicate the age or mileage of your Yeti. It may be that the shockers or springs are worn or damaged due to age or abuse by the previous owner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can certainly say the ride is less harsh and less rolly than my previous Roomster!
Did 1200 miles in a week up to Scotland and back including plenty of twisty roads and I certainly got what I have heard described as "the Yeti grin"!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s a very good question. I actually drove the outward journey a d felt that there was excessive roll and sideways movement in the car and was aware the passenger was rolling around a lot And having to hold onto the grab handles.
I’d like to point out that wasn’t because of my driving! 😂
Dampers are the suspension components that control the movement of the springs. Without dampers or with ineffective dampers, the springs just continue bouncing up and down after every road undulation. Leading to a bouncy ride with lots of porpoising (fore-aft oscillation of the whole car), and excess roll (sideways leaning on corners).

Commonly but incorrectly called “shock absorbers”. In reality the springs absorb the energy of hitting a bump. The dampers control how the spring oscillates. Differently on the bounce than the rebound.

On the Yeti the dampers at all four corners are the tubular type. At the front you can see them over the top, of the tyres. In the middle of the wheel arch. A tube about 2” diameter running vertically down the centre of the spring.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Excess sideways roll can also be caused by a broken link to an anti-roll bar. Yeti has two of those, one front one back. If they are not working correctly it can feel like the car is trying to lean onto the door handles while cornering. On twister roads feels like you’re in a row boat. Leaning alternately from side to side.

Again, a Yeti shouldn’t feel like that if everything is working properly.

Traditional off-road vehicles, designed for best traction on mud and soft surfaces or broken rocky, undulating ground, like the Series 1 Range Rover, don’t have anti-roll bars at all. Consequently their on-road handling felt more like being in a small boat in a choppy sea.

Neither knackered dampers, nor a broken anti-roll bar link, would be very noticeable around town. Where speeds not great enough to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Many thanks Flintstone for your very useful and comprehensive reply. It sounds as if I need to take it to a garage. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should mention and what points I need to make? Are they any other things that could possibly be causing all this pitching and rolling and throwing of passengers about?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As above it sounds like someone needs to have a look at the shock absorbers and check there are no broken springs. The ride should be firm rather than rolling, none of the posts in this thread indicate the age or mileage of your Yeti. It may be that the shockers or springs are worn or damaged due to age or abuse by the previous owner.
3 years old, low mileage, not a lot of miles in the past year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I’m certainly going to have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Any competent MoT garage should be able check for and find any faults in the dampers or ARBs and linkages. They might even be able to put the car on their modern testing rig, used for MoTs. Those throw the car around and attack the suspension fairly violently. Thus showing up any faults in the suspension, or the rubber bushes that attach the suspension to the chassis.

Mention the body roll that you believe is exceptional. And the pitching fore and aft, if that is indeed the motion you are describing.

They will probably want to charge you for the testing. But many would waive the test charge, if they then got the work to rectify any faults revealed.

If it has only done 1000 miles in the last year, and has been standing idle all that time, that could easily account for any of:
  • knackered dampers,
  • broken spring(s),
  • broken anti roll bar bushes or linkage
  • knackered mounting bushes in the suspension allowing too much movement.
All due to not enough “exercise”.

If it is just over three years old, was it not MoT’d immediately prior to your purchase? Or has that been deferred because of the lockdown dispensation, from earlier in the year?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excess sideways roll can also be caused by a broken link to an anti-roll bar. Yeti has two of those, one front one back. If they are not working correctly it can feel like the car is trying to lean onto the door handles while cornering. On twister roads feels like you’re in a row boat. Leaning alternately from side to side.

Again, a Yeti shouldn’t feel like that if everything is working properly.

Traditional off-road vehicles, designed for best traction on mud and soft surfaces or broken rocky, undulating ground, like the Series 1 Range Rover, don’t have anti-roll bars at all. Consequently their on-road handling felt more like being in a small boat in a choppy sea.

Neither knackered dampers, nor a broken anti-roll bar link, would be very noticeable around town. Where speeds not great enough to make a huge difference.
You’ve made a very good point about driving it through town - it threw up nothing and the ride was acceptable. So, to clarify...I need to get the dampers checked, the anti roll bars... and anything else you feel might be pertinent?

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
There was so much movement side to side and up and down it was like being on a roller coaster. Pretty sure there’s no suspension!
That sounds the opposite to me, too much uncontrolled suspension movement.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Any competent MoT garage should be able check for and find any faults in the dampers or ARBs and linkages. They might even be able to put the car on their modern testing rig, used for MoTs. Those throw the car around and attack the suspension fairly violently. Thus showing up any faults in the suspension, or the rubber bushes that attach the suspension to the chassis.

Mention the body roll that you believe is exceptional. And the pitching fore and aft, if that is indeed the motion you are describing.

They will probably want to charge you for the testing. But many would waive the test charge, if they then got the work to rectify any faults revealed.

If it has only done 1000 miles in the last year, and has been standing idle all that time, that could easily account for any of:
  • knackered dampers,
  • broken spring(s),
  • broken anti roll bar bushes or linkage
  • knackered mounting bushes in the suspension allowing too much movement.
All due to not enough “exercise”.

If it is just over three years old, was it not MoT’d immediately prior to your purchase? Or has that been deferred because of the lockdown dispensation, from earlier in the year?
That’s a great suggestion list for me to be getting on with! Yes, MOT prior to purchase by garage.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Mmmm? The MoT should have revealed the kind of faults that The Hood, Urrell and I are all thinking of?

I think I’d be taking it back to the place it was MoT’d or dealer (not necessarily the same business). Ask them to re-check all the aspects we’ve mentioned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mmmm? The MoT should have revealed the kind of faults that The Hood, Urrell and I are all thinking of?
That’s what I was thinking...is it still worthwhile just taking it back in, getting them to take it for a spin and running through the actual problem with the mechanics and asking them to check all these things again?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts