Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
Latetotheparty said:
It’s a 17 plate , so just three years old and has done 15000 miles. It was previously a Motability car. Incidentally, previous owner only did 1000 miles in the last year before I took it over a couple of weeks ago.

If you bought it from a dealer take it straight back and get them to fix it, it sounds unsafe to use. Did the dealer that sold it to you do the MOT?. If it was a private sale or passed to you from a friend or relative that make it more awkward.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
That’s what I was thinking...is it still worthwhile just taking it back in, getting them to take it for a spin and running through the actual problem with the mechanics and asking them to check all these things again?
Absolutely! If there are any of the problems we suspect, it is still their responsibility to fix them. As you have had the car such a short time.

That’s if you did actually buy from a dealer? Otherwise, everything that The Hood just said applies.

Also see comments in the parallel thread about “Brakes”.

Both are classic symptoms of the times. With lots of cars having had very little exercise during lockdown. Garages ore full of them needing fixing. The MoT Garage I use has just taken on an extra staff member to deal with the mountain of similar work coming in.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Something else I'd be looking at would be the tyres; worth checking what make they are and whether they have the correct pressures.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Having wanted a Yeti for a few years, so far I love it. Have been pootling around town in it. Love all the bells and whistles, the simple yet solid, stylish interior, the all-round clear vision and the bags of room. However, today I ventured across country and the state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired. Ha ing driven these roads regularly in the past in my trusty little Fabia the drive was always comfortable and unremarkable . However, today in the new Yeti I actually felt I’d been thrown around in the passenger seat and liken it to being in a cement mixer! to be honest it was exceptionally uncomfortable and a bit alarming. There was so much movement side to side and up and down it was like being on a roller coaster. Pretty sure there’s no suspension! My skeleton feels as if it’s been given a right good shaking. (Driver was not Jason Button either!] Having been in other SUV’s owned by friends I’ve never experienced anything quite like this before. Is this normal? Am I just being too sensitive and should I just get used to being thrown around like this? (Hope not.) I’m wondering if I’ve bought the wrong car and already dreading long journeys to Scotland and Cornwall. Any advice/help or similar experiences welcome.
The Yeti i have is probably the best ride i have owned in nearly 50 years admittingly it does not hold the road like the Golf i had but motorway driving with cross winds and hgv's it hardly moves for a highest car.
My car was ex motibility and they are serviced to the book. ( i have had 3 other motibility before) and the are normally low mileage, but you may find a couple of scrapes on it.
If it is 17 and had from dealer, take it back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Latetotheparty said:
3 years old, low mileage, not a lot of miles in last year.

If you bought it from a dealer take it straight back and get them to fix it, it sounds unsafe to use. Did the dealer that sold it to you do the MOT?. If it was a private sale or passed to you from a friend or relative that make it more awkward.
Thank you Hood, for the advice. I’ll contact the dealer, who incidentally did the MOT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Absolutely! If there are any of the problems we suspect, it is still their responsibility to fix them. As you have had the car such a short time.

That’s if you did actually buy from a dealer? Otherwise, everything that The Hood just said applies.

Also see comments in the parallel thread about “Brakes”.

Both are classic symptoms of the times. With lots of cars having had very little exercise during lockdown. Garages ore full of them needing fixing. The MoT Garage I use has just taken on an extra staff member to deal with the mountain of similar work coming in.
Thanks Flinstone for the information and advice. I’m going to contact the dealer. I’d also be interested din what my MIT garage think. Many thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The Yeti i have is probably the best ride i have owned in nearly 50 years admittingly it does not hold the road like the Golf i had but motorway driving with cross winds and hgv's it hardly moves for a highest car.
My car was ex motibility and they are serviced to the book. ( i have had 3 other motibility before) and the are normally low mileage, but you may find a couple of scrapes on it.
If it is 17 and had from dealer, take it back.
It’s interesting to hear. I know the car had a service and there was nothing remarkable on It.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Mmmm? The MoT should have revealed the kind of faults that The Hood, Urrell and I are all thinking of?

I think I’d be taking it back to the place it was MoT’d or dealer (not necessarily the same business). Ask them to re-check all the aspects we’ve mentioned.
Thanks gain. I‘ll garage to look at it.

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
As you bought from a dealer under your consumer rights (written into law) the dealer is responsible for any fault present or developing at the time of sale for six months. So if they say only a thirty day warranty hard luck, dig your heels in, they are responsible for six months. The onus is on them to prove a fault was not developing at the time of sale. not on you to prove it was.
If they decide to play hardball, or another company finds a serious problem you could always raise a query with the DVLA about the MOT.
If they are a decent firm they will not quibble and all will be resolved

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As you bought from a dealer under your consumer rights (written into law) the dealer is responsible for any fault present or developing at the time of sale for six months. So if they say only a thirty day warranty hard luck, dig your heels in, they are responsible for six months. The onus is on them to prove a fault was not developing at the time of sale. not on you to prove it was.
If they decide to play hardball, or another company finds a serious problem you could always raise a query with the DVLA about the MOT.
If they are a decent firm they will not quibble and all will be resolved
Excellent advice and information! I feel ably armed and confident to proceed with the issue. Many, many thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We've only had our Yeti for just under a year, and while I would describe the ride as 'solid' (a characteristic of many cars with German roots), body roll is definitely not something we've experienced.
Other threads have mentioned a noticeable difference between the ride on 16" and 17" wheels, which I'm guessing yours would have?
But, as others have said, first stop has to be the dealer you bought it from to ensure that all the suspension components are doing their job.
Good luck.

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
I use 16 inch winter tyres/wheels which I am looking forward to using and the increased cushioning, but when they are fitted there is no body roll as described in this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
M
We've only had our Yeti for just under a year, and while I would describe the ride as 'solid' (a characteristic of many cars with German roots), body roll is definitely not something we've experienced.
Other threads have mentioned a noticeable difference between the ride on 16" and 17" wheels, which I'm guessing yours would have?
But, as others have said, first stop has to be the dealer you bought it from to ensure that all the suspension components are doing their job.
Good luck.
Many thanks for giving your insight into your Yeti car ride. Before I purchased the car I read a great deal about the Yeti online ( some on this forum) and one or two owners described the ride as ‘firm’ but no one mentioned a ‘rough ride’ with roll. Yes, the wheels are 17” Pirelli Cinturato ( just Googled them) they’re described as ‘winter’ tyres??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I use 16 inch winter tyres/wheels which I am looking forward to using and the increased cushioning, but when they are fitted there is no body roll as described in this thread.
I’ve read quite a lot recently about 16” tyres having a better ride but I guess it’s quite an expensive investment? How much are we talking about? Not knowing a thing about tyres, does that mean I’d have to buy new alloys as well?

·
Administrator
4,938 Posts
the wheels are 17” Pirelli Cinturato ( just Googled them) they’re described as ‘winter’ tyres??
I think you may have looked up the wrong Pirelli Cinturato as it is most likely that your Yeti has the Cinturato P7 tyres fitted which are summer tyres. These were standard fit on 2017 models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think you may have looked up the wrong Pirelli Cinturato as it is most likely that your Yeti has the Cinturato P7 tyres fitted which are summer tyres. These were standard fit on 2017 models.
Aha! Thank you for that. Just had another look and yes you are quite right- they are the p7’s. There’s a lot more to these tyres than meets the eye.. All in all this is proving to be quite steep learning curve for me! 😂

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
I’ve read quite a lot recently about 16” tyres having a better ride but I guess it’s quite an expensive investment? How much are we talking about? Not knowing a thing about tyres, does that mean I’d have to buy new alloys as well? (Seriously know nothing about cars...) BTW...car is now booked is for a road test and through investigation. I’m keeping my fingers crossed they can identify the problem(s) because it’s such a lovely car. Took it out again today and my bones were rattled to bits!
16 inch wheels have a little bit more air and rubber between them and the road, which makes quite a difference. I use two sets of wheels summer/winter. My winter wheels are Audi alloys and cost me £80 for the set on eBay, collect only demands much lower prices. Then there was the cost of winter tyres, It might be worth your while trying to drive a Yeti on 16 inch wheels, it would probably be a better idea to try driving another Yeti on 17 inch wheels to see how different it is to yours.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts